First rapper - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #31 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,538
Default

I agree with you though. Take those lyrics and delivery over a Nas beat and I bet it wouldn't seem odd at all.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #32 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15
Default interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Gil Scott Heron.
i'm going to have to research that!
euphmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #33 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
If you can find me something pre-dating Subterranean Homesick Blues that's as hip hop in delivery and aesthetic as Dylan's track, then I'll change my idea of what the world's first rap song was.
While checking out a little Louis Jordan earlier today, I stumbled across this track "Beware, Brother, Beware" and it immediately made me think of this thread. This song is from the 1940s and both the vocal style and the subject matter are amazingly hip hop to me. Check it out:

Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #34 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,179
Default

second commercial(and a few):



Some reason 50s commercials are chalked full of sections of hip hop.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

^ That's because rapping is catchy, it's great for advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
While checking out a little Louis Jordan earlier today, I stumbled across this track "Beware, Brother, Beware" and it immediately made me think of this thread. This song is from the 1940s and both the vocal style and the subject matter are amazingly hip hop to me. Check it out:

Sweet, nice find. This is the earliest hip hop I've heard.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM   #36 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,538
Default

I still wouldn't call it hip hop. Bearing in mind that rapping is the vocal style and hip hop is the musical backdrop in most definitions. But yeah, it's rapping.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #37 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I still wouldn't call it hip hop. Bearing in mind that rapping is the vocal style and hip hop is the musical backdrop in most definitions. But yeah, it's rapping.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the term "hip hop" that way actually. It generally refers either to the culture or the genre or both. But for argument's sake let's say it does refer to the backing music, what would the defining characteristics of it even be? People rap over pretty much everything and it's still hip hop.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #38 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

I actually agree with Conan on that....but hip hop can also refer to the culture as well..

you can't rap over anything and still call it hip hop...it's not....you are just rapping over some random...whatever the backing music is....is what you would consider the song with rap.....take for example nu-metal isn't considered hip hop is it? Some bands rap in nu-metal but it's not called hip hop because of the backing music.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #39 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Rapping Community
Posts: 24,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I actually agree with Conan on that....but hip hop can also refer to the culture as well..

you can't rap over anything and still call it hip hop...it's not....you are just rapping over some random...whatever the backing music is....is what you would consider the song with rap.....take for example nu-metal isn't considered hip hop is it? Some bands rap in nu-metal but it's not called hip hop because of the backing music.
And yet Jay-Z records an album with a nu-metal band like Linkin Park and it's still considered hip hop, Madlib raps over jazz and it's hip hop, MC Dälek raps of droning noisescapes and it's hip hop, Immortal Technique raps over Henry Mancini and it's hip hop. So what exactly are the defining characteristics of hip hop music?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #40 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

see those examples that you provided I wouldn't consider them to be hip hop
Everything you said is just Rapping over the genres that they have chosen.

......hip hop imo is more about the beats and at times can be very simplistic actually i can't even describe it properly but I just wouldn't consider any of those examples of yours hip hop
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.