kendrick lamar - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #41 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I got that as a trend throughout, but you would have to explain how that ties in with the lyric blastings posted.

I took that song to be about how the Reagan generation is all about drugs to disconnect but that don't think anything of it. I thought of the song as from the perspective of someone talking about all the drugs they do because it's "cool". Like... 8 doobies to the face... **** that, I can take it. I have a high tolerance.

I don't think it was meant to be a hugely deep metaphor but I thought it was effective.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #42 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio View Post
oh no, someone in the music industry is a jerk. will everyone PLEASE think of the children?!!? D:

Taylor Swift's music is bland city, btw. your opinion on Kanye is your opinion on Kanye, so i'll leave it at that, but I will say that Kanye is one of my favorite artists.

........

but anyway, I thought Section.80 was one of my favorite albums of 2011. (O)verly (D)edicated i wasn't as much into, but that was mainly for the beats. on both albums, it's hard to deny Kendricks raw talent and rapping ability. definitely one of the best rappers today imo.

but yeah, putting up songs just cause




True. I don't care for her at all. But Kanye pulled a super douche bag move. Let's not forget, "George Bush doesn't care about black people".

This cracks me up. 9/11 wasn't the worst moment of G.W.'s presidency, Kanye was.


Matt Lauer Interview with Kanye West on Today Show (full version) - YouTube

Maybe Kanye wants a president like this: Fast forward to 2:00


Dave Chappelle about Clinton and Bush - YouTube

blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #43 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I'm not trying to hate or disrespect rap or hip-hop, or anyone who likes it. I just honestly don't see much value in it. There is some that I like. But I think a lot of it is the same. A lot of it is about drugs and sex and money and anything that ties in with those subjects. Not all, though. There is some rap that I can respect and appreciate. I just have trouble seeing the musical and poetic value in the majority of it.
Wow, your extremely typical.

Your way too emotionally invested in your perception of rap artists personality. Your not judging them on their musical contributions, but a stigma you have against their lifestyle choices.

Of course a lot of rap music is about sex, drugs and money. A lot of media in general is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
: But I guess the fact that a black man is saying "doobies" instead of "blunts" is quite creative.
What is this moronic statement trying to insinuate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
True. I don't care for her at all. But Kanye pulled a super douche bag move. Let's not forget, "George Bush doesn't care about black people".
So what if kanye is a douchebag? Do you actually care? or are you so absorbed by media coverage that you can't differentiate your own opinion from the other generic talking heads.

At least Kanye is true to himself. You never have to question his authenticity. I imagine most of the artists you perceive to be "moral", or have good values are really no different then kanye, they are just more concerned with public perception.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #44 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,610
Default

To be fair, anyone who makes the following songs is all right by me:









He could hunt deserted babies for all I care.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Wow, your extremely typical.

Your way too emotionally invested in your perception of rap artists personality. Your not judging them on their musical contributions, but a stigma you have against their lifestyle choices.
First of all, he wasn't saying that he had something against rappers "lifestyle choices", he said he didn't like listening to rap music about sex, drugs, and money, things that rappers most exaggerate to the extreme. You think all rappers live how they rap? Two words: Rick Ross.

I for one only put up with that bullshit if it has a banging beat.

Also, the rappers themselves aren't making that great of a musical contribution, though you may believe otherwise. That would be the producer, or whoever provides the backing MUSIC. Without a producer, a rapper would only be a poet, and if you judged every rapper by their lyrical content only, there are plenty that would crumble (ASAP Rocky, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne, Lil B, Schoolboy Q, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Of course a lot of rap music is about sex, drugs and money. A lot of media in general is.
Definitely. But I don't get your point, does that mean you have to like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
So what if kanye is a douchebag? Do you actually care? or are you so absorbed by media coverage that you can't differentiate your own opinion from the other generic talking heads.
Most people in the media love Kanye and got over the taylor swift incident like 3 years ago. So I'd say blastingas is doing a good job of forming his own opinion. Sometimes people form opinions of bands regardless of how they sound. I'll never like Joy Division no matter how cool the "scene" was 30 years ago unlike some people . Besides, there are millions of people who dick ride yeezy, why does it matter if a few think he's a douche (which he absolutely is)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
At least Kanye is true to himself. You never have to question his authenticity.
Kanye thinks he's the best thing that ever happened to music, that's hardly being true to himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I imagine most of the artists you perceive to be "moral", or have good values are really no different then kanye, they are just more concerned with public perception.
What exactly are you basing this on? There are very few stars who I would rate as more full of themselves than Kanye, and I can't even think of another incident like the Taylor Swift grammy moment so it seems very unlikely to me that this statement is correct.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Hip Hop generally bores me now I just listen to stuff I know will be slightly interesting.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #46 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
Wow, your extremely typical.

Your way too emotionally invested in your perception of rap artists personality. Your not judging them on their musical contributions, but a stigma you have against their lifestyle choices.

Of course a lot of rap music is about sex, drugs and money. A lot of media in general is.


What is this moronic statement trying to insinuate?



So what if kanye is a douchebag? Do you actually care? or are you so absorbed by media coverage that you can't differentiate your own opinion from the other generic talking heads.

At least Kanye is true to himself. You never have to question his authenticity. I imagine most of the artists you perceive to be "moral", or have good values are really no different then kanye, they are just more concerned with public perception.
I hate the media. What's your point? And I don't agree with their lifestyle choices, but I'm not judging them because of that. I'm judging them based on their musical contributions, which are weak, especially lyric wise.

You want to talk to me about being judgemental? You judged that statement as "moronic" without even understanding it. It was a joke. What I meant by it is that from my experience with smoking weed, and knowing many African-Americans who smoke, they very rarely use the word "doobies". They smoke blunts, and nothing but blunts. While I'm sure that he means "blunts" when he says "doobies", it' just funny because I don't hear African-Americans use that word very often, and that's why I said what I did.

Yes, I do care about the douche-bag actions he's made.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
First of all, he wasn't saying that he had something against rappers "lifestyle choices", he said he didn't like listening to rap music about sex, drugs, and money, things that rappers most exaggerate to the extreme. You think all rappers live how they rap? Two words: Rick Ross.

I for one only put up with that bullshit if it has a banging beat.

Also, the rappers themselves aren't making that great of a musical contribution, though you may believe otherwise. That would be the producer, or whoever provides the backing MUSIC. Without a producer, a rapper would only be a poet, and if you judged every rapper by their lyrical content only, there are plenty that would crumble (ASAP Rocky, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne, Lil B, Schoolboy Q, etc.).



Definitely. But I don't get your point, does that mean you have to like it?



Most people in the media love Kanye and got over the taylor swift incident like 3 years ago. So I'd say blastingas is doing a good job of forming his own opinion. Sometimes people form opinions of bands regardless of how they sound. I'll never like Joy Division no matter how cool the "scene" was 30 years ago unlike some people . Besides, there are millions of people who dick ride yeezy, why does it matter if a few think he's a douche (which he absolutely is)?



Kanye thinks he's the best thing that ever happened to music, that's hardly being true to himself.



What exactly are you basing this on? There are very few stars who I would rate as more full of themselves than Kanye, and I can't even think of another incident like the Taylor Swift grammy moment so it seems very unlikely to me that this statement is correct.
Thank you. Nicely said. Most rappers I know would be a joke if they were considered poets, especially if you weighed their "poetry" against the poetry of a true poet.

Last edited by blastingas10; 02-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #47 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Limb View Post
First of all, he wasn't saying that he had something against rappers "lifestyle choices", he said he didn't like listening to rap music about sex, drugs, and money, things that rappers most exaggerate to the extreme. You think all rappers live how they rap? Two words: Rick Ross.
It's still referencing lifestyle choices. It's pandering to an audience who idolize that particular lifestyle.


Quote:
Also, the rappers themselves aren't making that great of a musical contribution, though you may believe otherwise. That would be the producer, or whoever provides the backing MUSIC. Without a producer, a rapper would only be a poet, and if you judged every rapper by their lyrical content only, there are plenty that would crumble (ASAP Rocky, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne, Lil B, Schoolboy Q, etc.).
your so enlightening. I'm not going to argue rapper vs producer.
Quote:
Definitely. But I don't get your point, does that mean you have to like it?
It means it's unfair to dismiss one particular medium or genre for something that is promoted in nearly all of them.

Quote:
Most people in the media love Kanye and got over the taylor swift incident like 3 years ago.
I was referencing the media hype from that particular time. It may not be news now, but it went on for far too long.



Quote:
Sometimes people form opinions of bands regardless of how they sound. I'll never like Joy Division no matter how cool the "scene" was 30 years ago unlike some people . Besides, there are millions of people who dick ride yeezy, why does it matter if a few think he's a douche (which he absolutely is)?
You have some divine source of information, these are truly mind blowing statements.

I like Joy Division for the music.

I'm glad Kanye is openly confrontational. I like that a major mainstream pop artist risked jeopardizing his career to honestly express his sentiments. Especially when it involved being critical of the worst U.S. president ever.

Quote:
Kanye thinks he's the best thing that ever happened to music, that's hardly being true to himself.
Your right. Kanye West has an ego.

Quote:
What exactly are you basing this on? There are very few stars who I would rate as more full of themselves than Kanye, and I can't even think of another incident like the Taylor Swift grammy moment so it seems very unlikely to me that this statement is correct.
I'm saying many people who share the same amount of fame as Kanye are obviously not the people they are perceived to be. Kanye chooses to be himself even though he constantly gets ridiculed for it. I don't share the same beliefs as Kanye, but i can sympathize with being way too drunk (as in the taylor swift incident) or being frustrated with the current government, even without being able to fully articulate why (the GWB incident).

Was Jim Morrison a douchebag?
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #48 (permalink)
not really
 
Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I hate the media. What's your point? And I don't agree with their lifestyle choices, but I'm not judging them because of that. I'm judging them based on their musical contributions, which are weak, especially lyric wise.
Not Kanye, he's a very recognized producer.
Quote:
You want to talk to me about being judgemental? You judged that statement as "moronic" without even understanding it. It was a joke. What I meant by it is that from my experience with smoking weed, and knowing many African-Americans who smoke, they very rarely use the word "doobies". They smoke blunts, and nothing but blunts. While I'm sure that he means "blunts" when he says "doobies", it' just funny because I don't hear African-Americans use that word very often, and that's why I said what I did
Hey I know this asian guy who doesn't speak any chinese.
Quote:
Yes, I do care about the douche-bag actions he's made.
too much in my opinion.


Quote:
Thank you. Nicely said. Most rappers I know would be a joke if they were considered poets, especially if you weighed their "poetry" against the poetry of a true poet.
Kanye is still a well established producer first, and rapper second.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #49 (permalink)
the worst guy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,610
Default

To get back on topic...

Kendrick seems to be working with Dr. Dre on Detox which seems extremely likely to come out in 2012 (Dre even appearded during one of Kendrick's shows to say "Detox is coming" or some sh*t).

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #50 (permalink)
Chocolate Homunculus
 
Phantom Limb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,293
Default

^Yeah that track is super dope. You should check out the version with Busta Rhymes on it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Hip Hop generally bores me now I just listen to stuff I know will be slightly interesting.

Last.Fm

My Bomb Music Shit
Phantom Limb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.