Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Reggae & Ska
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

I'm not a big fan at all of The Aquabats. find them very cartoony

This is still one of the best 3rd wave Ska tracks IMO:



I'm only posting this as in the last hour I have been listening to Ska.
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
I'm not a big fan at all of The Aquabats. find them very cartoony

This is still one of the best 3rd wave Ska tracks IMO:



I'm only posting this as in the last hour I have been listening to Ska.
Yes, The Aquabats *are* very cartoony. I think one of the members calls himself "cat boy" following their fake superhero theme.

Capdown does have a nice ska sound. The tune has a part that reminds me a little of the Batman theme! I like the "haa haa" or "aah aah" shouts.
I also like Capdown's political lyrics, like with "Cousin Cleotis," but I had a hard time hearing distinct words in the video. I wish I could hear the words better so that the meaning of the song would leap out at me...I had to look at the lyrics to understand what the song was about. I was surprised that the song's sound is much happier and celebratory than the lyrics, which are about a fairly serious issue...a call to action.

"Cousin Cleotis" lyrics:

Together we can fly
There ain't no reason why not
Strike whilst the knives are hot
Eyes like a vision of rage
Seize the day, seize the moment
Yes this very moment
Cos the mountain of my anger, it ain't no longer dormant
And this feelin' ain't just a feelin' no more
Cos the frustration of my ignorant days, is just a haze
Like a red eyed glazed gaze
So don't just sit on your ass, dreamin' of the better day, better way
Liberate yourself, your mind, mankind
Take the feelin' that lies deep inside
And make it reality"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Yes, The Aquabats *are* very cartoony. I think one of the members calls himself "cat boy" following their fake superhero theme.

Capdown does have a nice ska sound. The tune has a part that reminds me a little of the Batman theme! I like the "haa haa" or "aah aah" shouts.
I also like Capdown's political lyrics, like with "Cousin Cleotis," but I had a hard time hearing distinct words in the video. I wish I could hear the words better so that the meaning of the song would leap out at me...I had to look at the lyrics to understand what the song was about. I was surprised that the song's sound is much happier and celebratory than the lyrics, which are about a fairly serious issue...a call to action.

"Cousin Cleotis" lyrics:

Together we can fly
There ain't no reason why not
Strike whilst the knives are hot
Eyes like a vision of rage
Seize the day, seize the moment
Yes this very moment
Cos the mountain of my anger, it ain't no longer dormant
And this feelin' ain't just a feelin' no more
Cos the frustration of my ignorant days, is just a haze
Like a red eyed glazed gaze
So don't just sit on your ass, dreamin' of the better day, better way
Liberate yourself, your mind, mankind
Take the feelin' that lies deep inside
And make it reality"
The band sadly split last year
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
The band sadly split last year
Well, that's too bad. Did any of the members go on to make or join bands you like?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
super cool
 
BTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 799
Default

I've got a friend who's really into the aquabats and they're decent in small doses.
And I like Capdown as well, I think you may have actually sent me that album, jackhammer.

Also do you really think Capdown could be considered third wave ska? Or is there not much of a difference between ska-punk and third wave ska?
__________________
BTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTown787 View Post
is there not much of a difference between ska-punk and third wave ska?
They're pretty much the same thing, but some bands are more ska than punk and vice versa. Technically everything after 1st wave, besides all the 1st wave revival bands, can be considered ska-punk. 3rd wave is pretty much epitomized in the sound of Reel Big Fish and Less than Jake, which some would actually call ska-punk. When I think of true ska-punk I tend to think of Operation Ivy and Murphy's Law, and well not much else. A lot of people will dump the Bosstones into either category, but they really do deserve to be the sole proprietors of the ska-core genre.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
super cool
 
BTown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 799
Default

I always thought of ska-punk mostly just being the staccato-like guitar playing with fast punk tempos with use of horns here and there which makes Operation Ivy a great example again.
I always saw Less Than Jake as a ska-punk band but never really saw Reel Big Fish as much of a punk band.

So if the Bosstones are the sole owners of the ska-core genre where would bands like Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and Evil Empire fit in? Or do you see them as more hardcore punk than anything?
__________________
BTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTown787 View Post
I always thought of ska-punk mostly just being the staccato-like guitar playing with fast punk tempos with use of horns here and there which makes Operation Ivy a great example again.
I always saw Less Than Jake as a ska-punk band but never really saw Reel Big Fish as much of a punk band.

So if the Bosstones are the sole owners of the ska-core genre where would bands like Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and Evil Empire fit in? Or do you see them as more hardcore punk than anything?
I was more or less saying that Reel Big Fish exemplifies what I think of when I think of straight forward 3rd wave. I would be inclined to call Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, and Evil Empire ska-punk, but really they're 3rd wave. It's more of a timeline than a style distinction. I give The Bosstones the sole ownership of the ska-core genre label because they coined the term, and because every band with a remotely similar sound has copied or been heavily influenced by them. There's no way around it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
  • New Wave, Pop Forum, 90 replies
  • no wave, Avant Garde/Experimental Forum, 43 replies
  • *wave*, Introductions Forum, 6 replies
  • New Wave, Punk Forum, 3 replies
  • Nu Wave, Indie & Alternative Forum, 9 replies



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.