Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #631 (permalink)
Soldier Of Aztlán
 
rammetal7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mop View Post
I have completey unresolved mixed feelings on slipknot - while I kinda acknowledge that they're not 'tr00 metal' by any stretch of the imagination, and a lot of their music appeals to complete idiots, I can't quite bring myself to say that they're terrible because IMO they're just simply not. They're good musicians and awesome to see live...

... the kinda conclusion I've come to is that they're a joke, but a good one. Still doesn't help when the fanboys come-a-knockin'...
What makes a band true metal? is the definition of true metal made by a secret elitist group that has a graph that bluntly states what is true metal and what is not? or is it a term that means something different to everyone? or to put it simple, an opinion.
__________________
rammetal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #632 (permalink)
FakingSuicideForApplause
 
Dr.Seussicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I live in a van down by the river
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mop View Post
Converge and Gallows - can't stand either of them.
Converge is pretty good too mate. Definitely can't say I don't stand 'em. Hmmm
__________________
I'll stay if I ever could, and pick up your pieces babe, because there's never a perfect day.

Dr.Seussicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #633 (permalink)
gun whales
 
gunnels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe
Posts: 1,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN CAVEMAN View Post
the beatles
the rolling stones
the cure
joy division
the smiths

STFU
Eh, I like the Smiths but the rest I'm wholly neutral towards.
I totally agree with you on Joy Division though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Fuck your hashtags, they have no power in this realm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #634 (permalink)
Groupie
 
The_Mop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammetal7 View Post
What makes a band true metal? is the definition of true metal made by a secret elitist group that has a graph that bluntly states what is true metal and what is not? or is it a term that means something different to everyone? or to put it simple, an opinion.
Well, heh, that's why I said 'tr00', as in, sorta taking the piss. I have a load of elitist metal mates and they piss me off massively. What I mean is that I know that slipknot are dually the most over-and-underrated band in metal - all the 'tr00 kvlt metuhlhedz' reject it because it's commercial, and the fanboys just can't stop screaming about them all the time.

Truth is, as far as I'm concerned, they're decent but nothing to really shout about.

As far as it goes for Gallows and Converge.... I don't really know. I've certainatly listened to noisier music (Locust and The Berzerker and Ladyscraper and such) so that's not the problem, but something about both of them just strikes me as being really unimaginative. Hard to put my finger on if I'm honest.
The_Mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #635 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: crushed under sonic waves
Posts: 20
Default

Wiki's list of nu metal sums up this pretty well. It's hard to find exceptions in there.
crashburnbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #636 (permalink)
Groupie
 
dtx21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 15
Default

Simple Plan is the all time worst band i've ever heard in all my life. Songs about teen angst and killing yourself!? So ridiculous.
I think every one of them should be sentenced to slitting their wrists for all eternity for all the lives they've more than likely taken!

dtx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #637 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtx21 View Post
Simple Plan is the all time worst band i've ever heard in all my life. Songs about teen angst and killing yourself!?
Loads of great bands have had songs about killing themselves. Nirvana, "teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old"/"look on the bright side suicide."

Jeff Buckley, "Long enough for the clouds to fly me away, well it's my time coming, i'm not afraid to die"

Joy Division, "Directionless so plain to see a loaded gun won't set you free, so you say."

I could go on and on.

Though I agree, Simple Plan are fucking horrible.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #638 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
Converge is pretty good too mate. Definitely can't say I don't stand 'em. Hmmm
Converge is awful. I feel bad saying that because I REALLY gave them a chance... they just annoy the **** out of me.
__________________
My MB music journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #639 (permalink)
FakingSuicideForApplause
 
Dr.Seussicide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: I live in a van down by the river
Posts: 1,357
Default



I really loved this song. This doesn't do anything for you? :S
__________________
I'll stay if I ever could, and pick up your pieces babe, because there's never a perfect day.

Dr.Seussicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #640 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post


I really loved this song. This doesn't do anything for you? :S
The vocals turn me off so much I can't even listen to the rest.
__________________
My MB music journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.