Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
It's awesome that you found another thread to troll. Nice try. But this time you're just plain wrong. It's rather obvious you haven't heard anything of the Trees or Lanegan's, because the music is incomparable to Nirvana.
Firstly, I can prove my background with Screaming Trees as I was recommended to listen to them long ago on these boards by Wayfarer. I listened to a number of their records so your claim that I am posing is severely ignorant, almost as much as it is idiotic.

Secondly, I was not comparing their music. The reason I said what I did is because a number of people here will go on about Screaming Trees being the 'best grunge band'. I'm pointing out that they were not at all as good as Nirvana, who were imo way better than any and every other 'grunge' band I've tried to listen to.

But hey, if you want to needlessly start yet another acrimonious dispute, as you seem to enjoy doing so much, then go right ahead. Throw out a few more meaningless accusations.

EDIT: the other band I recall was Green River, who I also don't tend to really care for.

Last edited by Rainard Jalen; 01-10-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Methville
Posts: 2,116
Default

Not my favorite grunge band, but still solid all around.
The Unfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Firstly, I can prove my background with Screaming Trees as I was recommended to listen to them long ago on these boards by Wayfarer. I listened to a number of their records so your claim that I am posing is severely ignorant, almost as much as it is idiotic.

Secondly, I was not comparing their music. The reason I said what I did is because a number of people here will go on about Screaming Trees being the 'best grunge band'. I'm pointing out that they were not at all as good as Nirvana, who were imo way better than any and every other 'grunge' band I've tried to listen to.

But hey, if you want to needlessly start yet another acrimonious dispute, as you seem to enjoy doing so much, then go right ahead. Throw out a few more meaningless accusations.

EDIT: the other band I recall was Green River, who I also don't tend to really care for.
I don't count myself a fan of grunge either; I hate the Melvins and most of the second-rate bands that sprung up following the ascension of Nirvana. But the Trees were not among this group of poor musicians. They brought an element of psychedelia into their music that bore as much resemblance with The Flaming Lips as it did with any other contemporary band. They most certainly weren't just another Nirvana ripoff.

But you knew all this beforehand, so why make stupid comparisons between the two bands? I could call Nirvana a better band than ninety percent of the bands out there today. It doesn't make it any more relevant.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I don't count myself a fan of grunge either; I hate the Melvins and most of the second-rate bands that sprung up following the ascension of Nirvana. But the Trees were not among this group of poor musicians. They brought an element of psychedelia into their music that bore as much resemblance with The Flaming Lips as it did with any other contemporary band. They most certainly weren't just another Nirvana ripoff.

But you knew all this beforehand, so why make stupid comparisons between the two bands? I could call Nirvana a better band than ninety percent of the bands out there today. It doesn't make it any more relevant.
I felt it was relevant because I'm sure I've seen more than a trifling number of people on these boards go on about Screaming Trees being the best band of the Seattle bands, whereas I don't think what I've heard comes close to approaching the talent of Nirvana.

EDIT: I guess technically Screaming Trees were from outside of Seattle. But anyway...
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
I felt it was relevant because I'm sure I've seen more than a trifling number of people on these boards go on about Screaming Trees being the best band of the Seattle bands, whereas I don't think what I've heard comes close to approaching the talent of Nirvana.

EDIT: I guess technically Screaming Trees were from outside of Seattle. But anyway...
They were good friends with Nirvana, anyways. I believe Mark Lanegan grew up with Kurt Cobain.

Personally, I don't feel that Screaming Trees get the respect they deserve, on this board or elsewhere. Mark Lanegan is more famous for his solo albums and work with Josh Homme in Queens of the Stone Age, when the Trees actually did have a series of good (if not great) albums.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Let it drip
 
Sneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,421
Default

Just good? You said Dust was possibly your favourite alternative album of the 90's?
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

I was looking at it from someone else's point of view.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Just popped Dust on, this is bloody impressive! Dying Days does remind me of Sweet Home Alabama though...
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Sgt Pilcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 23
Default

I know no ones posted here in a while, but I was wondering am I the only one who prefers the SST albums over the major label ones?
Sgt Pilcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
awkward moose
 
homesick.alien's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: I ride kangaroos to school
Posts: 133
Default

I like Screaming Trees a smidge better than Nirvana overall, though this fluctuates depending on my mood that day.

Josh Homme played rhythm for this band for a while didn't he?
__________________
..Colourless green ideas sleep furiously..

"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names"- J.F. Kennedy
homesick.alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.