The Official Nirvana/Kurt Cobain Thread (lyrics, alternative, punk, rock) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 AM   #1281 (permalink)
Full-Time Hellion
 
Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowbill357 View Post
Nirvana..better than the Melvins...? You need to get your head examined.
because it hink nirvana is better than the melvin's.
although i'd think your opinion is biased since you've said many times that you don't like nirvana and are partial to the melvins because they did a cover of a nirvana song
__________________
A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.

~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:00 AM   #1282 (permalink)
ashes against the grain
 
tdoc210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: new hampsha
Posts: 2,617
Default

Cover's don't mean crap.
__________________
We went back there and they had come and hacked off every inoculated arm. There they were in a pile. A pile of little arms. And I remember... I... I... I cried. I wept like some grandmother. I wanted to tear my teeth out. I didn't know what I wanted to do. And I want to remember it. I never want to forget it. I never want to forget. And then I realized... like I was shot... like I was shot with a diamond... a diamond bullet right through my forehead. And I thought: My God... the genius of that.
tdoc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:01 AM   #1283 (permalink)
enchanted.
 
ArtistInTheAmbulance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: cornwailles, angleterre.
Posts: 2,537
Default

i killed music.
not nirvana.
hence how music's corpse is rotting in my basement right now.
titwench.
__________________
shake your wings like theyre laced with sound!
ArtistInTheAmbulance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #1284 (permalink)
Full-Time Hellion
 
Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet View Post
You're talking about a band you've never even listened to, and on top of that, you're claiming that Nirvana is better than the Melvins because they covered one of Nirvana's songs. If that's your logic, then I guess you would also insist that Limp Bizkit are better than Tool, the Scissor Sisters are better than Pink Floyd, Avril Lavigne is better than Bob Dylan, Britney Spears is better than the Rolling Stones, and Celene Dion is better than AC/DC.
i have listened to the melvin's. i do like the melvin's. i like nirvana more.
and aside from the albums by the melvin's that i do have (but never listen to anymore) i have heard stuff off their other albums.
the fact that the melvin's covered one of nirvana's songs in my mind means that the melvin's were influenced by nirvana. (which is not to say that nirvana was not influenced by the melvins)
__________________
A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.

~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #1285 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

When someone does a cover it means they like the song. That's all.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:23 PM   #1286 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,129
Default

If someone thinks Nirvana are better than The Melvins, thats pretty much their personal opinion, same goes for someone who believes vice versa, but being abrasive about it either way makes that band look bad, it makes people think "are all Melvins fans f*cking assh*les like these guys?", it dosen't help anything, it dosen't prove your point and it just makes you all look like douchebags, not that personal opinions can't be completely biased, and in this case Raine is likely very biased, but it's still her opinion.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #1287 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Muzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,050
Default

Nirvana just changed the general style of mainstream music back then, not killed it.
Muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #1288 (permalink)
Full-Time Hellion
 
Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Magnet View Post
Yeah, but "influenced by" doesn't always mean "inferior to".
touche

but in my mind i still interpret it as nirvana being better.
__________________
A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to cure a person in love.

~ Friedrich Nietzsche
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #1289 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,129
Default

And for the record, Pink Floyd would never cover The Foo Fighters.

In fact, Pink Floyd rarely do covers at all.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:34 PM   #1290 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazedface View Post
Did Nirvana, with its nonsensical lyrics, and its responsibility for the "good musicianship = unhip" trend, kill music? did their introduction to the idea of depression making good rock kill rock n roll as we once knew it? discuss.
after reading this, my immediate thought was "this is the dumbest question ever." but after putting some thought into it, i think that they may have actually not killed, but definitley fatally wounded the world of rock as it was known at that time. the main rock bands during nirvana's early years were mostly hair and metal bands. so nirvana bursting onto the scene with a new sound, that basically knocked the world of rock and roll on its ass, may have forever changed the direction of the genre.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.