Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Zarkotics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4
Default I Farted and Made a New Metal Sub Genre

This **** kind of gets out of hand sometimes, you know?

(no pun intended)
Zarkotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkotics View Post
This **** kind of gets out of hand sometimes, you know?

(no pun intended)
Alternative Metal
Avant-garde Metal
Black Metal
Symphonic Black Metal
Viking Metal
Cello Metal
Christian Metal
Death Metal
Doom Metal
Extreme Metal
Folk Metal

etc etc.

I'm inclined to agree with you, however a lot of badass music comes from it.
__________________
| - || - |||
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,857
Default

the reason that happens is because fans of metal don't branch off. Many people who don't listen to metal would probably say 20 genres sound exactly the same. Meanwhile, someone who's burrowed their head into the Metal Sand, as it were, can hear massive differences between them.

Those cats need to get out of the house more.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Way Out There
 
almauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
the reason that happens is because fans of metal don't branch off. Many people who don't listen to metal would probably say 20 genres sound exactly the same. Meanwhile, someone who's burrowed their head into the Metal Sand, as it were, can hear massive differences between them.

Those cats need to get out of the house more.
Sounds like your making a stereotype. Just because someone has an ear that can distinguish these differences, doesn't mean they have there head in the "metal sand".

I think most people who post here listen to and are knowledgeable about many other types of music besides metal.
__________________
rock n music blog
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
the reason that happens is because fans of metal don't branch off. Many people who don't listen to metal would probably say 20 genres sound exactly the same. Meanwhile, someone who's burrowed their head into the Metal Sand, as it were, can hear massive differences between them.

Those cats need to get out of the house more.
Actually the reason it happens is that the terminology is useful to the people who use it, same as any other descriptive term that enters the lexicon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almauro View Post
Sounds like your making a stereotype. Just because someone has an ear that can distinguish these differences, doesn't mean they have there head in the "metal sand".

I think most people who post here listen to and are knowledgeable about many other types of music besides metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Actually the reason it happens is that the terminology is useful to the people who use it, same as any other descriptive term that enters the lexicon.
Well you're both free to disagree but its not like I pulled this out of my ass. If I'm wrong, then why doesn't any other genre have such an obscene amount of sub-genres?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Do good.
 
Blarobbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Well you're both free to disagree but its not like I pulled this out of my ass. If I'm wrong, then why doesn't any other genre have such an obscene amount of sub-genres?
Electronica, dude. I'm pretty sure a new electronic subgenre is invented every day.
__________________
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Blarobbarg

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ ^my RYM^  。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

(◠‿◠✿)
Blarobbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Well you're both free to disagree but its not like I pulled this out of my ass. If I'm wrong, then why doesn't any other genre have such an obscene amount of sub-genres?
I think you're missing...

List of rock genres - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rock has probably more sub genres than anything.
__________________
| - || - |||
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Way Out There
 
almauro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarobbarg View Post
Electronica, dude. I'm pretty sure a new electronic subgenre is invented every day.
Ha! I was going to say...IDM, my favorite sub-genre name.
__________________
rock n music blog
almauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Well you're both free to disagree but its not like I pulled this out of my ass. If I'm wrong, then why doesn't any other genre have such an obscene amount of sub-genres?
As Blaro and Ki have pointed out, metal isn't the only type of music with a lot of subgenres. But even if it was, so what? Metal fans didn't invent subgenre names just to irritate you, they invented them because they serve a purpose in a conversation between people who know what they mean. If they were useless, they wouldn't be used.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.