Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #171 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
uhhh u know Hardcore came out in like 2003 a little bit after Nu metal .....

unless your talking about bands like

Cro mags
bad brains
GG allen
etc etc etc

that came out around uhh 1988-1993 and most of those bands were from the East coast NY area and flordia milleesss away from califorina and KORN

and besides korn members were big into the hole LA scene when they were teens givin the close proximnty to them

so Hardcore of the early 90's had no effect on nu metal
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #172 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
His comment confused the **** out of me.
Hardcore Punk was an 80's thing, what the hell is he talking about?
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #173 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
uhhh u know Hardcore came out in like 2003 a little bit after Nu metal .....

unless your talking about bands like

Cro mags
bad brains
GG allen
etc etc etc

that came out around uhh 1988-1993 and most of those bands were from the East coast NY area and flordia milleesss away from califorina and KORN

and besides korn members were big into the hole LA scene when they were teens givin the close proximnty to them

so Hardcore of the early 90's had no effect on nu metal
Even though the genre broke through around 2003, there were heavy hardcore bands all along since 90s, and even though they didnt influence nu-metal much, in retrospect, you could argue nu-metal fits into that sound much better than in anything else.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #174 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 43,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew View Post
His comment confused the **** out of me.
Hardcore Punk was an 80's thing, what the hell is he talking about?
Naw, man. Black Flag is a myth.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #175 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

im no nu metal historian but didn't nu metal start around the mid 90's?
i remember listening to 'life is peachy' by Korn around 96 or 97

__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #176 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
im no nu metal historian but didn't nu metal start around the mid 90's?
i remember listening to 'life is peachy' by Korn around 96 or 97

If youre referring to my post, i was talking about hardcore/metalcore breaking through in 2003, not nu-metal.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #177 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Even though the genre broke through around 2003, there were heavy hardcore bands all along since 90s, and even though they didnt influence nu-metal much, in retrospect, you could argue nu-metal fits into that sound much better than in anything else.
''Heavy hardcore bands all along in the nineties'' What?
Hardcore Punk is primarily an 80's thing dude.
Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, MDC, Discharge, that Dead Kennedys EP, Verbal Abuse, The F.U's, Negative Approach, Negative FX, Poison Idea, Gang Green, Government Issue, D.R.I, Battillion of Saints, D.O.A, Agnostic Front, etc.

It's not a nineties thing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Naw, man. Black Flag is a myth.
Yeah, Black Flag Didn't exist, only Off and Flag exist, and those were totally new and original ideas. hmm hmm, I should know, I'm an expert.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #178 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylstew View Post
''Heavy hardcore bands all along in the nineties'' What?
Hardcore Punk is primarily an 80's thing dude.
Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, MDC, Discharge, that Dead Kennedys EP, Verbal Abuse, The F.U's, Negative Approach, Negative FX, Poison Idea, Gang Green, Government Issue, D.R.I, Battillion of Saints, D.O.A, Agnostic Front, etc.

It's not a nineties thing at all.


Yeah, Black Flag Didn't exist, only Off and Flag exist, and those were totally new and original ideas. hmm hmm, I should know, I'm an expert.
Im talking stuff like Hatebreed, Biohazard, Converge, Luti-Kriss, etc.
Necro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #179 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necro View Post
Im talking stuff like Hatebreed, Biohazard, Converge, Luti-Kriss, etc.
Those are not even straight up Hardcore Punk bands.
Come on man, Hardcore Punk started in the 80's, and that was it's most important time period.
Modern hardcore has a very different sound. I'm not saying it's not hardcore, but hardcore punk is without a doubt an 80's thing.

''uhhh u know Hardcore came out in like 2003 a little bit after Nu metal .....

unless your talking about bands like Cro mags bad brains ''

Unless? Bad brains is one of the original hardcore punk bands? Why the unless?
And cro-mags is crossover thrash, hardcore punk mixed with thrash metal.
Dylstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #180 (permalink)
Because I Am, I Can!
 
CoNtrivedNiHilism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,128
Default

Not to derail this, because I've been reading this back and forth between two, but...

This is the nu-metal I listened to back in the 2000's, early 2000's I mean. My favorite nu-metal band from that period, some of the best writing as far as nu-metal goes. From the riffs, bass, drumming, singing. It's great stuff. Take a listen. This is the **** I think should have gotten the attention over Linkin Park and their debut album Hybrid Theory. Simon Says was more competent as far as song writing goes. Strong stuff. For the people that listened to Simon Says. They were known for their big choruses. But everything about them was great in my opinion. Listen to that chorus in Dyslexic Smile. Not your typical nu-metal lyrics. I never thought this band wrote in the same way as their peers did. Smarter.

And take a guess who their drummer was? Pretty well respected drummer.











Maybe you can dig'em, or maybe not.

Last edited by CoNtrivedNiHilism; 08-22-2014 at 08:19 AM.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.