Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,442
Default

Saying that it's probably quite good implies that it isn't good, wouldn't you say?

Of course there's value in good production, but letting imperfect production soil your opinion of an album that still achieves what it aims to is an unfortunate way to appreciate music imo. Not everyone can have access to an adult contemporary's recording studio.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #52 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Saying that it's probably quite good implies that it isn't good, wouldn't you say?
In this case it just means that I'm not all that familiar with this particular album yet. It seems solid, but I haven't heard the whole thing. I picked it because it was a good example of something that doesn't quite hit high on the heavy-scale for me, despite how it seems like it should, in many ways. I'm more familiar with a couple of their other albums, which, sound way more heavy to my ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Of course there's value in good production, but letting imperfect production soil your opinion of an album that still achieves what it aims to is an unfortunate way to appreciate music imo. Not everyone can have access to an adult contemporary's recording studio.
It may still impress me in other ways. In fact, quite many albums that I love exhibit questionable production choices. Just like a lot of games that I like have ugly graphics, a lot movies that I like have bad acting, etc. I'm just going to let the "adult contemporary" thing slide
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
Prepare 4 the Fight Scene
 
Mondo Bungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,323
Default

production in general is for suckers
__________________
https://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Hmm, what's this in my pocket?

*epic guitar solo blasts into my face*

DAMN IT MONDO
Mondo Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:27 AM   #54 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

It's how the music sounds. How can't that be important when music is sound?
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #55 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 462
Default

My main beef with production comes when it sounds really grainy or you have to turn the volume up higher for some albums than others. Bad Brains' self-titled album and early releases by Venom come to mind. I'm willing to overlook that just because those are some badass collections of music, but they could stand a remaster. That Obituary album is heavy as hell to me, nothing wrong with that production.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #56 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
It's how the music sounds. How can't that be important when music is sound?
So long as you can hear what thw music is doing, it shouldn't matter. If I viewed good production as a requirement instead of a bonus I'd miss out on a lot of amazing stuff.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #57 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So long as you can hear what thw music is doing, it shouldn't matter. If I viewed good production as a requirement instead of a bonus I'd miss out on a lot of amazing stuff.
I don't really agree. Like I care a lot about the character of the voice of a singer, I care about the whole soundscape of the music. Its neither the most important thing to me, nor unimportant. It's just one more of all the facets of music that play into what I will think about a piece. It is part of the experience, so of course it will impact the experience. I can't not hear the sound quality/the characteristics of the sound of an album.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #58 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,442
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I don't really agree. Like I care a lot about the character of the voice of a singer, I care about the whole soundscape of the music. Its neither the most important thing to me, nor unimportant. It's just one more of all the facets of music that play into what I will think about a piece. It is part of the experience, so of course it will impact the experience. I can't not hear the sound quality/the characteristics of the sound of an album.
I guess that makes you a sucker.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 14,179
Default

Production matters but it doesn’t have to match any certain criterion to work. Sometimes lush orchestrations or sonic landscapes work; sometimes recording with a boombox or an iPhone works.
__________________
CAMPAIGN ALERT:

*vote vote vote*

Member of the Year

VOTE HAWK
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #60 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,697
Default

Both awesome!



__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.