Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Vote, mother****er!
10 0 0%
9 1 50.00%
8 0 0%
7 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3 1 50.00%
2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
And what would you expect to be the cause of his vocals sounding out of tune to you?
Him being a bad singer, primarily. In any case, I'd wager that, even if he is doing this on purpose, this guy couldn't sing worth a damn if his life depended on it. I feel like I'm listening to the worst metal-karaoke night ever held.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Also, you should quit being so vehemently opposed to the idea that you're missing something about a record. Preference is fine, you're free to dislike anything that you want, but it really does seem like you dismiss a lot of music without considering its merits because you didn't find it fulfilling in another aspect (an aspect that's usually not a focus of the album).

tl;dr get woke
I'm not opposed to the idea that I'm not getting the appeal. I'm extending the idea to everything me or anyone else ever does not like. That's an idea being 100% embraced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
MicShazam: the guy you stop playing video games with because he complains about terrible mechanics and framerate when really he just sucks at Mario Kart.
I'd complain about a terrible game, yes. Are you suggesting it's better not to have standards? Of course you aren't, so what's your point?
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
All day jazz and biscuits
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 39,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I'd complain about a terrible game, yes. Are you suggesting it's better not to have standards? Of course you aren't, so what's your point?
I'm saying trivial things get you in a silly huff.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Him being a bad singer, primarily. In any case, I'd wager that, even if he is doing this on purpose, this guy couldn't sing worth a damn if his life depended on it. I feel like I'm listening to the worst metal-karaoke night ever held.
His singing is worth a damn because it complements the music well. It seems like you just don't recognize that because of your expectations for what a good singer is . Deny that you have expectations for music all you want, but calling it "metal-karaoke night" tells me that you view Parvez/Eide's vocal performances as attempts to imitate conventional vocalists instead of (successful) attempts to take a new approach.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm saying trivial things get you in a silly huff.
I'm "in a huff" because I'm trying to say what you're actual opinion is. Ok.
You just make that sort of comment so often that it seems like more than just a meaningless jab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
His singing is worth a damn because it complements the music well. It seems like you just don't recognize that because of your expectations for what a good singer is . Deny that you have expectations for music all you want, but calling it "metal-karaoke night" tells me that you view Parvez/Eide's vocal performances as attempts to imitate conventional vocalists instead of (successful) attempts to take a new approach.
I know you're not suggesting that they can't fail because they're not trying to be conventional, but it almost seems like it. If this was just a random comment on Youtube, I'd assume it.
I could go on about how I can find examples of unconventional (and even quite out of tune) vocal performances that I dig, but I'll spare you.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I know you're not suggesting that they can't fail because they're not trying to be conventional, but it almost seems like it. If this was just a random comment on Youtube, I'd assume it.
I'm suggesting that judging an unconventional approach using conventional standards (western harmony, for example) is a fool's errand.

Quote:
I could go on about how I can find examples of unconventional (and even quite out of tune) vocal performances that I dig, but I'll spare you.
Yes, please spare me the red herring. We're talking about Ved Buens Ende, not Sainkho.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm suggesting that judging an unconventional approach using conventional standards (western harmony, for example) is a fool's errand.
Yes, but I'm not just saying he sounds bad because he's out of tune. I'm saying he's out of tune AND he sounds bad.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Yes, but I'm not just saying he sounds bad because he's out of tune. I'm saying he's out of tune AND he sounds bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
What I was contesting was you calling him out of tune because he's very much in tune. He's just not a very conventional vocalist and he's not aiming to be.
*cough*

Also why I used western harmony as an example.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

What I should really say, is that he sounds off key. Which is a concept with a specific definition. In tune is the wrong way to put it. Microtonality and alternative tunings exist, I'm aware.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
What I should really say, is that he sounds off key. Which is a concept with a specific definition. In tune is the wrong way to put it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Also why I used western harmony as an example.
.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,636
Default

Unless you have an interview in which the singer explains his aims, there's no way of knowing whether he intended to be off key in the usual sense, or if he's got his head elsewhere. The music is bog-standard western tonality through and through...
Lots of metal vocalists seem to go for something conventional but fail. Honestly, this guy seemed to shoot for something pretty straight. But it doesn't matter what he's shooting for. All that matters is how it sounds.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.