Dire Straits Appreciation Thread - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #41 (permalink)
..Just Not Your Kind
 
The Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
that's usually how forums work.

i've always wanted to get more into the Straits, i have a few of Mark Knopfler's collaborations and your beloved Brothers in Arms. might be something worth looking into.
Get yourself Making Movies IMO that album will make anyone a Dire Straits fan!
I first really got into them when i was travelling...many moons ago and one of the guys i was with had the compilation 'Money for Nothing' being a big metal fan i had never given them much concideration...but once i listened to the album that was it for me! and it's amazing how many people take the piss when they find out im a big fan!
__________________
Just Because Your paraniod......Doesn't Mean They Are Not After You!

The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
16, so?
 
zeppy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 630
Default

Went and bought two of the albums today after watching a video of one of their concerts last night. On Every Street and Love Over Gold.

Awesome music, just pissed off that the last two tracks on the latter were skipping and distorted so i have to go trade it for another disc.

Awesome sound.
__________________


My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #43 (permalink)
From Hank To Hendrix
 
Mirrorball95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Our house, In the middle of the street.
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy111 View Post
Went and bought two of the albums today after watching a video of one of their concerts last night. On Every Street and Love Over Gold.

Awesome music, just pissed off that the last two tracks on the latter were skipping and distorted so i have to go trade it for another disc.

Awesome sound.
Oh man, you just basically bought thier two best albums. I got 'Making Movies' the other day and its a pretty strong album. Ive just got the 'Alchemy Live' album to get now and my collection is pretty much complete. The thing I found though with songs like 'Romeo & Juliet' is that the studio version bores the arse off me and I'd much rather listen to the live versions on 'On The Night'. I strongly suggest you also get 'On The Night' as it gave me a new appreciation of songs such as Romeo & Juliet and Your Latest Trick, which i had previously (hearing the studio versions) not cared for.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #44 (permalink)
Dr. Prunk
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

Yet another insanely talented band that gets written off just because they're "classic rock".

I do get tired of hearing Sultans of Swing every damn day, but that guitar solo near the end still blows me away.
__________________
It's only knock n' knowall, but I like it

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #45 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,096
Default

Yes, Mark Knopfler is a wonderful guitarist. Sultans Of Swing is still an excellent song no matter how overplayed it is.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
16, so?
 
zeppy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Africa
Posts: 630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95 View Post
Oh man, you just basically bought thier two best albums. I got 'Making Movies' the other day and its a pretty strong album. Ive just got the 'Alchemy Live' album to get now and my collection is pretty much complete. The thing I found though with songs like 'Romeo & Juliet' is that the studio version bores the arse off me and I'd much rather listen to the live versions on 'On The Night'. I strongly suggest you also get 'On The Night' as it gave me a new appreciation of songs such as Romeo & Juliet and Your Latest Trick, which i had previously (hearing the studio versions) not cared for.
I really liked the studio version of Romeo and Juliet, heard it yesterday before the British Lions game. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion, will do. Gonna get all the albums within the next few weeks, it was like a love affair soon as I put Love Over Gold on to play.
__________________


My Blog (album of the day): http://musicfromthesouth.blogspot.com
zeppy111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #47 (permalink)
From Hank To Hendrix
 
Mirrorball95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Our house, In the middle of the street.
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppy111 View Post
I really liked the studio version of Romeo and Juliet, heard it yesterday before the British Lions game. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion, will do. Gonna get all the albums within the next few weeks, it was like a love affair soon as I put Love Over Gold on to play.
If you liked the studio version, just wait till you hear the live version on 'On The Night', there is an epic saxophone intro and outro and the song is much more lively and heartfelt than on the shitty studio version, which bores me to death lol.
And yeah, I fell in love with Love Over Gold the first time I heard it. Ive not actually listened to it in ages though as I listen to the On Every Street album a hell of a lot more.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
Watch what happens when we change just a three little words (by my doorstep)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95Doppelganger
Yeah if I could get a big one, say from Neil Young or something, id stick it in. I'd just get sick.
Mirrorball95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #48 (permalink)
Groupie
 
morgos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 39
Default

Great band. I was 11 years old the first time I heard Sultans of Swing, and it just about brought me to tears. His guitar work is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrorball95 View Post
'Dire Straits' (first album, bought this but feel the rest of the album fails to live up to 'Sultans Of Swing'.)
I'm surprised to hear this, because their self titled was always my favorite. Sultans of swing is a great track that's for sure, but the truth is I love nearly every song on that album. (the exception being water of love) The others I've heard are: Communique, (very good, I like this a lot) and Brothers in Arms. (I really didn't care for this at all) I should check out more of their stuff. I also never really liked Knopfler's solo works all that much.
morgos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
snagglepuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 136
Default

Their first album is my favorite. I love the song Southbound Again.
snagglepuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:55 AM   #50 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,525
Default

I've been listening to Making Movies a lot since the last time I posted here. It's a great album and, although I'm sure it's a clichè opinion as they are the "hits", the two first songs are just so damn good. "Tunnel of Love" and "Romeo and Juliet", brilliant stuff!

Finally removed "(With The Glorious Exception Of 'Brothers In Arms')" from the thread title by the way. Suck on that, Mirrorball!
__________________
Something Completely Different
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.