Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page?
Tony Iommi 50 41.67%
Jimmy Page 70 58.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
slatesphanboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 124
Default

Jimmy Page!

Not only do I think he is a better guitar player (sadly Iommi did lose part of his finger so the fact he is not as good is not his fault) but Page was also into paranormalism which gives him a cool 'image'

Quote:
n the early 1970s Page owned an occult bookshop and publishing house, "The Equinox Booksellers and Publishers" in Kensington High Street, London, eventually closing it as the increasing success of Led Zeppelin resulted in his having insufficient time to devote to it. The company published a facsimile of English occultist's Aleister Crowley's 1904 edition of The Goetia.[141] Page has maintained a strong interest in Crowley for many years. In 1978, he explained:

I feel Aleister Crowley is a misunderstood genius of the 20th century. Because his whole thing was liberation of the person, of the entity, and that restrictions would foul you up, lead to frustration which leads to violence, crime, mental breakdown, depending on what sort of makeup you have underneath. The further this age we're in now gets into technology and alienation, a lot of the points he's made seem to manifest themselves all down the line.[142]

Page was commissioned to write the soundtrack music for the film Lucifer Rising by another occultist and Crowley admirer, underground movie director Kenneth Anger.


Jimmy Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

slatesphanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

[QUOTE=Unknown Soldier;1146707]You think the first couple of Rush albums compare to one of the classic Led Zep albums?

Well i did state that already. I wouldn't say the musicianship falls off much, I just cant stand Robert Plants voice. Alot of people would state they despise Geddy Lees voice, but I find it to be a big part of the Rush magic.

And i'll stand by my original post and say Page does alot of senseless noodling. Hes clearly got a wonderful ability to play blues guitar, which i think was his calling. I still think Iommi's big sound is what speaks to me personally, and his riffs are so chunky he should make peanut butter with them.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

[QUOTE=FRED HALE SR.;1146996]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You think the first couple of Rush albums compare to one of the classic Led Zep albums?

Well i did state that already. I wouldn't say the musicianship falls off much, I just cant stand Robert Plants voice. Alot of people would state they despise Geddy Lees voice, but I find it to be a big part of the Rush magic.

And i'll stand by my original post and say Plant does alot of senseless noodling. Hes clearly got a wonderful ability to play blues guitar, which i think was his calling. I still think Iommi's big sound is what speaks to me personally, and his riffs are so chunky he should make peanut butter with them.
People either love or hate the voices of both Plant and Lee, with not too many people falling in between. Personally I love both, as both are iconic with each band's respective sounds. From personal experience though, I think more people are turned off by Geddy Lee's voice than that of Robert Plant though.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #34 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

[QUOTE=Unknown Soldier;1146998]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post

People either love or hate the voices of both Plant and Lee, with not too many people falling in between. Personally I love both, as both are iconic with each band's respective sounds. From personal experience though, I think more people are turned off by Geddy Lee's voice than that of Robert Plant though.
I would certainly agree with that, From experience this is usually the case.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

[QUOTE=FRED HALE SR.;1146999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post

I would certainly agree with that, From experience this is usually the case.
Glad we agree, as I'm off now to have a pizza
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #36 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Lifeson is a very good guitarist.

I've been listening to sabbath all this morning. I think iommi owns page. He can play just as fast, if not faster. He had a great style. He played so many great, classic riffs. He is the king of the heavy riff. He was a pioneer, one of the first to drop his tuning down, which became a big part of heavy metal. You can hear some heavy palm muted riffs in some sabbath songs. Of course the palm muted riffing would become a signature part of heavy metal. I can't think of anyone that was doing that before him. Iommi all the way.
"djent"
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #37 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
"djent"
huh?
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:17 AM   #38 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
huh?
sub-genre of metal which mostly uses palm-muted riffs
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #39 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Lifeson is a very good guitarist.

I've been listening to sabbath all this morning. I think iommi owns page. He can play just as fast, if not faster. He had a great style. He played so many great, classic riffs. He is the king of the heavy riff. He was a pioneer, one of the first to drop his tuning down, which became a big part of heavy metal. You can hear some heavy palm muted riffs in some sabbath songs. Of course the palm muted riffing would become a signature part of heavy metal. I can't think of anyone that was doing that before him. Iommi all the way.
Speed =/= skill, this is but a common fallacy.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Speed =/= skill, this is but a common fallacy.
I completely agree. I was just throwing that out there for people who love speed. Im not a believer that technical ability is what really matters. But, how do you measure skill?
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.