Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Sport & Recreation
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #221 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think if you come up against them I'll actually be rooting for you. You have no idea how big that is, here.
You mean the Danes because of the 5-1?

Tbh I know some Irish guys who - bants aside (obviously they will laugh when we lose) - do want England to do well. That's fair enough to me.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #222 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Because of Irish nationalism?
Yeah, and 800 years of British occupation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
You mean the Danes because of the 5-1?
Yeah.
Quote:
Tbh I know some Irish guys who - bants aside (obviously they will laugh when we lose) - do want England to do well. That's fair enough to me.
I know Irish guys who, if you were playing an ISIS allstars team, would be rooting for the towelheads!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #223 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 38,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, and 800 years of British occupation.
Which inflames Irish nationalism when it's time to watch a bunch of people kick a ball around.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #224 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Yeah, and 800 years of British occupation.

Yeah.

I know Irish guys who, if you were playing an ISIS allstars team, would be rooting for the towelheads!
Came across one or two guys like that. I don't get it tbh, & it just takes the piss when they're happy to walk round in English football shirts (MU, Liverpool etc).
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:18 PM   #225 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Which inflames Irish nationalism when it's time to watch a bunch of people kick a ball around.
It does, it does. And rugby. Not golf it seems, too wussy I guess. But yeah. Everyone cheers for the opposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Came across one or two guys like that. I don't get it tbh, & it just takes the piss when they're happy to walk round in English football shirts (MU, Liverpool etc).
You seriously have to be Irish to understand. There's a reason we call you "the oul enemy". I told you about that scene in Die Hard II, didn't I?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #226 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,383
Default

Why? I'm just saying there is a hypocrisy in hating the English yet bankrolling English clubs (apply this to British and I can include Celtic supporters).

I don't hate Ireland or the Irish but if I did you wouldn't catch me walking round in a Shamrock Rovers top.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #227 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Why? I'm just saying there is a hypocrisy in hating the English yet bankrolling English clubs (apply this to British and I can include Celtic supporters).

I don't hate Ireland or the Irish but if I did you wouldn't catch me walking round in a Shamrock Rovers top.
I don't get that either. Chances are, nobody really hates (or pretends to hate) the English unless it comes down to an "us vs them" thing. If Ireland and England met on the field you'd find a whole lot more people suddenly patriotic than usual. SOME of this of course has to do with the behaviour of a certain section of English fans, I'm sure you'll agree.

You'll probably also find most people (not me) support an Irish club and an English one. I don't know: it's hard yes to reconcile that with the perceived dislike of the English, but that's just how it is. In terms of the actual rivalry, in some cases hatred, it's hard for an Englishman to understand, as you have historically always been the aggressors, and with the exception of the Norman invasion, have never been occupied.

But that's history, and this is sport. I think in general Irish people are just encouraged to/brought up to "hate" the English because, well, it's hard to forget, but of course people waive that stance when it suits them. It used to be "burn everything British but their coal"; now we're a whole lot more picky. You can always rely on the Irish to stump ya!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #228 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,383
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't get that either. Chances are, nobody really hates (or pretends to hate) the English unless it comes down to an "us vs them" thing. If Ireland and England met on the field you'd find a whole lot more people suddenly patriotic than usual. SOME of this of course has to do with the behaviour of a certain section of English fans, I'm sure you'll agree.
Sorry TH, I was typing the response then got distracted and just realised I didn't respond to this post.

Yeah it is true tbh, England fans haven't been great in the past (Landsdowne Road being a particular lowlight for England). I think the reputation is probably a little unfair now, I can't remember any trouble since maybe Marseille/France 1998 (Russia last year does not count imo, English people were attacked first). The more unsavoury elements of our support have been weeded out, guys banned etc. But yeah I can understand people not liking us because of that tbh.

Quote:
You'll probably also find most people (not me) support an Irish club and an English one. I don't know: it's hard yes to reconcile that with the perceived dislike of the English, but that's just how it is. In terms of the actual rivalry, in some cases hatred, it's hard for an Englishman to understand, as you have historically always been the aggressors, and with the exception of the Norman invasion, have never been occupied.

But that's history, and this is sport. I think in general Irish people are just encouraged to/brought up to "hate" the English because, well, it's hard to forget, but of course people waive that stance when it suits them. It used to be "burn everything British but their coal"; now we're a whole lot more picky. You can always rely on the Irish to stump ya!
This was my impression tbh. BTW I'm not defending the past or anything, I know it's probably a sensitive issue. Fair enough mate, cheers for responding.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:40 AM   #229 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,383
Default

The draw is tomorrow.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:11 PM   #230 (permalink)
OQB
 
Olí Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,754
Default

many hypes
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Olí Qwerty Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.