I know it plays taps... (Bugle, Trumpet, Hang) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
TheBig3's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,957
Default I know it plays taps...

but thats about it. What the **** is a bugle?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Tundra Boy
DontRunMeOver's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In your linen cupboard.
Posts: 1,166

A bugle is a kind of brass instrument. A lot like a trumpet but without valves/fingerstops. Its played (I think) by pursing the lips, blowing a kind of rasberry into the mouthpiece to make the sound and changing the shape of the cheeks to somehow alter the pitch of the note - not entirely sure how this works!

If you watch movies which are set in Medieval time I think it, or something very similar, can be seen in these. They used an extended version of the bugle, which I don't know the name of.

I think its also the instrument that is played at army funeral services - the Last Post I think?
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.