Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default Favorite Gear (bass)

I just wanna discuss some gear with the fellow bassists on this website.

Right now my favorite bass is my Schecter Stiletto 5, played through my Ampeg SVT4-PRO w/ Hartke PRO 4200 cab and Hartke 215 BXL cab.
I also have a Peavey Grind Neck-thru 5, A Cort B4, and an Epiphone Les Paul 4
along with my Boss Bass Overdrive and Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah.

So let's hear it.
Whattaya got?
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i know there's a thread specific to basses somewhere but the mods don't seem to notice this subforum much.

my personal bass of choice is a Samick 5 string fretless. my backup is a 4 string fretted Aria Pro II cat series. both are strung with d'Addario chrome strings (flatwound).

i usually run them through a Warwick Sweet 15 combo amp (first version). got a great deal on this when the 2nd revision came out, 8 band EQ vs. 4 knobs. my alternate source is a custom traynor cabinet and acoustic head. 300W or so, it's something my drummer had picked up from his buddy's older brother back in the day haha.

as for pedals, my most consistent bass effects are a russian big muff, Danelectro delay, Ibanez phaser, Crybaby bass wah, and a volume pedal.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Groupie
 
KelticKalamity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27
Default

Fender Jazz
__________________
The hole is more honorable than the patch.
KelticKalamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i know there's a thread specific to basses somewhere but the mods don't seem to notice this subforum much.

my personal bass of choice is a Samick 5 string fretless. my backup is a 4 string fretted Aria Pro II cat series. both are strung with d'Addario chrome strings (flatwound).

i usually run them through a Warwick Sweet 15 combo amp (first version). got a great deal on this when the 2nd revision came out, 8 band EQ vs. 4 knobs. my alternate source is a custom traynor cabinet and acoustic head. 300W or so, it's something my drummer had picked up from his buddy's older brother back in the day haha.

as for pedals, my most consistent bass effects are a russian big muff, Danelectro delay, Ibanez phaser, Crybaby bass wah, and a volume pedal.
right on, man. What's your main forte as far as playing goes?
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticKalamity View Post
Fender Jazz
Right on,man. I learned on a fret-less Fender Jazz. Nothing like it in the world. I appreciate your honest simplicity.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
right on, man. What's your main forte as far as playing goes?
my main forte is sound intensity. i don't approach music the same way as most, it's not to be pretentious, it's more like the difference between being right or left handed.

my friends and i only play for our personal enjoyment. we don't know what we just did, nor do we have any clue what we'll do next, but we most definitely know what we're doing in the moment (most of the time haha)

what about yours?
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
my main forte is sound intensity. i don't approach music the same way as most, it's not to be pretentious, it's more like the difference between being right or left handed.

my friends and i only play for our personal enjoyment. we don't know what we just did, nor do we have any clue what we'll do next, but we most definitely know what we're doing in the moment (most of the time haha)

what about yours?
In my band we tend to write music that would help us to become better players. That is to say, most of the riffs we write are some of the most challenging we can try to imagine.
Personally, Most of my riffs just come from freestyling. Or, I'll have a beat or a beat idea in my head, and I'll jut build a riff from that. A lot of my guitar riffs tend to be more bluesy and mellow, probably because I'm not the best guitar player. Whereas my bass parts can either be as spasmodic and fast as possible, or in the tradition of the "bass player" I write an even, underlying simplified bassline to keep things grooving and solid.

I don't know if you're the guy that checked us out or not, so here's a link.

AFTERMATH
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

I play the Schecter Elite 4. With the EMG Dual pickups. I run that through my Boss chorus pedal and a Bootzilla Bass Wah Pedal. Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head unit. Rackmounted along with my dbx 166xa compressor/limiter/gate, bbe sonic maximizer/ and furman power conditioner. Playing through one Ampeg 4-10 HLF at the moment. May add a 15 at some point. im also currentlu shopping for a rackmount multi effect processor, not sure if you have any reco's, but if you do let me know.

p.s. I HATE 5 strings.
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
I play the Schecter Elite 4. With the EMG Dual pickups. I run that through my Boss chorus pedal and a Bootzilla Bass Wah Pedal. Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head unit. Rackmounted along with my dbx 166xa compressor/limiter/gate, bbe sonic maximizer/ and furman power conditioner. Playing through one Ampeg 4-10 HLF at the moment. May add a 15 at some point. im also currentlu shopping for a rackmount multi effect processor, not sure if you have any reco's, but if you do let me know.

p.s. I HATE 5 strings.
Bass Pods by Line 6 are actually really nice. I usually use one in the studio, and I'm pretty sure they have a rack mount version.

p.s. not much of a jazz man, are you?
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

Not a huge fan of the line 6's they sound too digital for me. Im looking for something with some accurate sounding effects. Might go to GC this weekend and play around.

p.s. yes actually i was in a jazz outfit for about 9 months back in Indiana. I just prefer a four string Bass is all, and i noticed you and dave say you play 5 strings. Thought I would throw that out there.
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.