Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 526
Default Cheapest durable guitar simply for learning

Does anyone know what the cheapest durable electric guitar simply for learning I could find? I am working a job over the summer and will have about 950 dollars Canadian by the end (at the calgary stampede) and about 750 is going towards computer parts so that leaves me with 200 for a guitar also won't be able to tell much of a difference in sound quality as I don't really have an ear for it so i just need something to last.
Odyshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

they're all going to be about the same at that price point. you'll likely end up with a low end epiphone (special II) or fender squire. might be able to find low end yamaha, ibanez, or peavey guitars in that price range too. they're all about the same, if you're more into metal look towards ibanez, aside from that they're all fine to rock out on.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Don't buy anything with any kind of tremolo system. They're universally awful at that price range.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,077
Default

Do you have an amp? They have cheap fender starter packs that come with a squire strat, a small amp and some chords to get you started. Otherwise check out craigslist, ebay, or your local paper. I see great deal in the paper alot, just wish I had the money to buy them all up.
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's goodóhappiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
they're all going to be about the same at that price point. you'll likely end up with a low end epiphone (special II) or fender squire. might be able to find low end yamaha, ibanez, or peavey guitars in that price range too. they're all about the same, if you're more into metal look towards ibanez, aside from that they're all fine to rock out on.
Is it all right to buy a guitar from a pawn shop? because my friend who is obsessed with guitars bought a few and they seemed to be fine, btw I need an amp also.
Odyshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i'm a big fan of pawn shops but you have to be careful. the vast majority are just trying to make a dollar and will fill your ears with as much crap as they can to get you to open your wallet. if you don't know what you're looking for (and checking out) then you can get ripped off pretty harshly.

if you're going to go through pawn shops get a friend who knows how to play to tag along to double check gear for you. where you already mention not caring that much about tone at this point and just want something to learn on pay close attention to the straightness of the neck and the tuning pegs. nothing is more annoying than a guitar that doesn't stay in tune.

now that you mention wanting an amp as well i'd be leaning towards the starter kits like Thrice mentions. you'll need to save up a little more as they're closer to $300 but whatever. you get a decent learner guitar, a practice amp, and usually a gig bag too. most practice amps are about $100-150 anyway, my personal favourite is the peavey rage.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i'm a big fan of pawn shops but you have to be careful. the vast majority are just trying to make a dollar and will fill your ears with as much crap as they can to get you to open your wallet. if you don't know what you're looking for (and checking out) then you can get ripped off pretty harshly.

if you're going to go through pawn shops get a friend who knows how to play to tag along to double check gear for you. where you already mention not caring that much about tone at this point and just want something to learn on pay close attention to the straightness of the neck and the tuning pegs. nothing is more annoying than a guitar that doesn't stay in tune.

now that you mention wanting an amp as well i'd be leaning towards the starter kits like Thrice mentions. you'll need to save up a little more as they're closer to $300 but whatever. you get a decent learner guitar, a practice amp, and usually a gig bag too. most practice amps are about $100-150 anyway, my personal favourite is the peavey rage.
Great call, when I was younger I got a squire for xmas, then went out and got the Peavey rage. Excellent beginner amp for the price. Got it for 89 dollars on sale, and even had a little left over to get a Flanger Boss pedal!
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's goodóhappiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

yeah the rage is a TANK. i've run my 5 string bass through it, friends have run synths through it, nothing breaks it.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
yeah the rage is a TANK. i've run my 5 string bass through it, friends have run synths through it, nothing breaks it.
Thanks so much I'll keep this in mind , i'll justsave any money i get from my parents until summer and it should work out fine
Odyshape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

no worries. if i remember right the Rage normally retails around $150. they usually go on sale often enough though, i didn't pay much more than $100 for my last one (tax included). i had to buy a replacement because my original one got stolen years ago.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.