Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Is a drum a musical instrument?
Yes 59 93.65%
No 4 6.35%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default Is a drum a musical instrument?

Hey every one, this may seem like an odd question, but I was having a heated debate with a work colleague last week who believed.

1. a drum is not a musical instrument.
2. a drummer is not a musician.

I personally don't agree!

His argument was.

1. A drum is not a musical instrument, it's a percussion instrument.
2. You can't tune a drum or a drum doesn't go out of tune.
3. You can't play a melody with a drum.

My view on his argument.

1. percussion instrument is a subset of musical instruments, in the same way wind instrument, brass instrument and all the other ones are.
2. I don't think I even need to answer this one, it's just not true.
3. I'm not sure if you could really play a melody on a drum, but I did find some talk on the internet of a few drummers who had played melody with very big drum kits i.e. lots of drums and symbols of different tuning.
But whether you can or you can't it's beside the point, that wouldn't determine whether it's a musical instrument or not.

So anyway please let me know what you all think and vote on the poll

Cheers
Pete
PJStew is offline  
Old 10-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
gun whales
 
gunnels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe
Posts: 1,702
Default

Your colleague makes me go
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Fuck your hashtags, they have no power in this realm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline  
Old 10-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Seems like he's arguing semantics, to me.

If an instrument is used in the creation of music, it's a musical instrument, and it follows that the person who plays it by hobby or trade is a musician. I don't think the term 'musical', in the context of instruments, is intended to be defined as something strictly melodic... although it can be, in other contexts.

I think your work colleague needs to take a moment to figure out that there are different meanings to words when they're used in different contexts. He's limiting himself to strict literal interpretation, which I'm sure most of us agree is a mistake.
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline  
Old 10-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStew View Post
1. A drum is not a musical instrument, it's a percussion instrument.
2. You can't tune a drum or a drum doesn't go out of tune.
3. You can't play a melody with a drum.
1 - that's like saying a dirt bike is not a motorized vehicle because it's not a car.

2 - that's not true. period. i had one drummer tune the toms so their tones were harmonious with each string on my guitar. drum skins stretch and get worn and need to be readjusted at times. this statement alone should have been enough to completely discredit your co-worker in your debate.

3 - if 2 is not true and the drums CAN be tuned to specific tones then they can in turn play a melody.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline  
Old 10-25-2009, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
young gun funyun
 
Nicktarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Southern US
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
1. A drum is not a musical instrument, it's a percussion instrument.
2. You can't tune a drum or a drum doesn't go out of tune.
3. You can't play a melody with a drum.
*sigh*, tell him to read the first line. Wikipedia is, in fact, more accurate than your average encyclopedia.

It's like scientific fact yo. I mean, that's kinda like arguing the earth is actually flat... but it don't stop these guys

peace,
-nick
__________________
Quote:
It only takes one jerk to prove any hypothesis absolutely false. Like, have you ever heard the rumor that you can drop cash on the street in Tokyo and the people are so honest that someone will find it, pick it up, and take it to the cops? Well, that's absolutely 100% not true, because I once found a plain envelope on the ground with "6,000 yen" written on it. Inside was 6,000 yen. I put it in my pocket and kept walking.
Nicktarist is offline  
Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Kamikazi Kat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 329
Default

I never understood that whole "it's not music unless it has a melody" argument. Although melody is a very important part of most music, it's not all there is to it. It also depends on the what kind of music as well. I think in certain ways, the drums can be just as melodic as other instruments in their own way. Drums add rhythm to a song, they can be the driving force or pulse, and add a sort of texture to the music, which I think is one of the more important aspects that people don't recognize.
Kamikazi Kat is offline  
Old 10-26-2009, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Saggitarian Pulse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 9
Default

Drums are the original musical instrument, period.
Saggitarian Pulse is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggitarian Pulse View Post
Drums are the original musical instrument, period.
I'd say the voice is actually the original instrument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Yeah, that dude's a tool. People who sequester themselves to a limited view of music are the bane of my existence.
__________________
OF THE SUN
ElephantSack is offline  
Old 11-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'd say the voice is actually the original instrument.
true that
__________________
OF THE SUN
ElephantSack is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.