Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
To avoid getting grim on my fret board I wash my hands before I play and then I wipe down the string and the neck with a dry linen after playing. I read in a guitar mag that you should avoid using water to clean the neck because it swell the wood and pshes up the frets.

To clean frets that oxidizes or that bit of dirt & grim that gets on it, chrome polish. I use Turtle Wax I pour a little dab on a old T shirt, I give it a twist so it absord into the cloth. and then let it dry. I wrap the clothe around my index finger, the carefully touching the fret (not to get the junk on the fretboard) just point and slide along the fret, that shines them up nicely.

To prevent you high frequencies from bleeding off use a shunt (a capacitor and resistor in parallel) on your volume control, between the lead and variable terminal on the volume pot.
Thanks man, I've heard of those things that prevent tone bleeds but, to install it that would require me to use a soldering gun and I can't trust myself.
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i just used an old toothbrush, hot water, and elbow grease to clean my frets whenever i felt the need.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Caleb48kb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Default

What makes me mad, is my damn G string breaks every time. And I have to buy a whole new set, because I use elixer custom light polywebs (sometimes nano). Anyways, no matter how much led I put on my bridge, it will always break there. I have even gotten new bridges.

It usually breaks after a month, a couple weeks if I practice all day long. YOU DAMN DIRTY G STRINGS!!!!!!!!!!!
Caleb48kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb48kb View Post
What makes me mad, is my damn G string breaks every time. And I have to buy a whole new set, because I use elixer custom light polywebs (sometimes nano). Anyways, no matter how much led I put on my bridge, it will always break there. I have even gotten new bridges.

It usually breaks after a month, a couple weeks if I practice all day long. YOU DAMN DIRTY G STRINGS!!!!!!!!!!!
that's really odd. especially if you've replaced the bridge. have you checked all points of contact since changing thoughly. might need a little filing on top of using lead to line the groove.

or do you pick really close to the bridge and play lots of bendy lead?
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Is it weird that I've only broken 3 strings in my entire 4 years of playing?
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Caleb48kb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
that's really odd. especially if you've replaced the bridge. have you checked all points of contact since changing thoughly. might need a little filing on top of using lead to line the groove.

or do you pick really close to the bridge and play lots of bendy lead?
Yeah, I gotcha. I have talked to alot of people who use Elixers. Most if not all have problems with the G string (especially polyweb users). I believe they are too close to the thickness of D strings, and also the coating probably has an affect on its durability. It doesn't help I spend most of my free time on my guitar.

I always have one of two choices. I can use the Elixer custom lights, and make my guitar sound like gold (but the g string breaks), or i can use D'addarios and let it sound like silver. I hope that made sense, I am about to zzzzzzzzzzz

lol later
Caleb48kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

fair enough. if that's the case maybe you need a wider saddle, like for a D string haha.

and LLSS - no it's not odd to not break that many strings either. i'll go years on a set. it's not like the strings can sound 'more' dead haha
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
fair enough. if that's the case maybe you need a wider saddle, like for a D string haha.

and LLSS - no it's not odd to not break that many strings either. i'll go years on a set. it's not like the strings can sound 'more' dead haha
It still astounds me every time you post that, we really couldn't be two more different players. Why the hell do we get on with each other again? :P
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships View Post
Is it weird that I've only broken 3 strings in my entire 4 years of playing?
Nope, observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LGyg2VNytw

I think that video demonstrates aptly exactly how little trouble I have with breaking strings.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Caleb48kb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 69
Default

oh, the coating on the elixers goes bad alot too, so the sound does diminish. i should really switch to d'addarios, but i love the sound of custom lights way too much.

idea about customizing the guitar so the g string doesn't break so often is a pretty good one. i think you're on to something there. maybe when i get some extra cash i'll think of something
Caleb48kb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.