Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Why the hell do we get on with each other again? :P
it's that Aretha Franklin thing



__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

The only trouble I've had so far with my acoustic guitar and my electric guitar is with attaching the guitar straps so that they stay attached.

My cheap acoustic guitar came with just one guitar strap button (on the body). Is there a reason that the manufacturers don't automatically provide two guitar strap buttons? Do they expect people to tie one end of the guitar strap to the neck?

My cheap electric guitar came with standard buttons and so I knew (based on what I'd read in "Guitar Book for Dummies") that the guitar strap would probably come off easily, which was true. Therefore I ordered Schaller guitar strap locks and buttons, which I like very much Buy Schaller Guitar Strap Locks and Buttons (Pair) | Strap Locks | Musician's Friend. The only problem is that after several weeks, the screws started to get loose so that then the whole guitar strap lock could fall out of the guitar, defeating the purpose of the strap locks. For a temporary fix I just wrapped tape around the screws and screwed them in again, although I plan to purchase wider screws eventually because my tape quick-fix didn't work well.

So far I haven't run into other guitar problems, other than the acoustic guitar having high action, which I need to get lowered sometime because right now it really hurts to play it: it is painful to press the strings down hard enough to get them to contact the frets firmly so that the notes to sound out well. This is one of many reasons I prefer the electric guitar, which plays so much more lightly in comparison to my acoustic guitar.

Come on, Mr. Dave, how can you say this ^ isn't scintillating, exciting stuff?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

The easiest way to fix that problem isn't to buy wider screws. Put a toothpick or two into the hole and then screw it in again. Stronger than tape by miles and much easier.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #24 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The easiest way to fix that problem isn't to buy wider screws. Put a toothpick or two into the hole and then screw it in again. Stronger than tape by miles and much easier.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that! That's a good suggestion, GuitarBizarre. Thanks! I will try it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
The only trouble I've had so far with my acoustic guitar and my electric guitar is with attaching the guitar straps so that they stay attached.

My cheap acoustic guitar came with just one guitar strap button (on the body). Is there a reason that the manufacturers don't automatically provide two guitar strap buttons? Do they expect people to tie one end of the guitar strap to the neck?

My cheap electric guitar came with standard buttons and so I knew (based on what I'd read in "Guitar Book for Dummies") that the guitar strap would probably come off easily, which was true. Therefore I ordered Schaller guitar strap locks and buttons, which I like very much Buy Schaller Guitar Strap Locks and Buttons (Pair) | Strap Locks | Musician's Friend. The only problem is that after several weeks, the screws started to get loose so that then the whole guitar strap lock could fall out of the guitar, defeating the purpose of the strap locks. For a temporary fix I just wrapped tape around the screws and screwed them in again, although I plan to purchase wider screws eventually because my tape quick-fix didn't work well.

So far I haven't run into other guitar problems, other than the acoustic guitar having high action, which I need to get lowered sometime because right now it really hurts to play it: it is painful to press the strings down hard enough to get them to contact the frets firmly so that the notes to sound out well. This is one of many reasons I prefer the electric guitar, which plays so much more lightly in comparison to my acoustic guitar.

Come on, Mr. Dave, how can you say this ^ isn't scintillating, exciting stuff?

i was sleeping

as for your first question. as wrong as it sounds, yes, some manufacturers do expect you to tie your guitar strap to the headstock. in fact, my acoustic is that way too, i prefer playing it sitting down though hehe.

personally i like this kind of strap (in black haha) Buy DiMarzio 2-Inch Nylon ClipLock Guitar Strap | Guitar & Bass Straps | Musician's Friend

whatever works though. GB's toothpick method also works really well, i usually added a bit of glue into the mix before forcing the screw into the hole to ensure a super tight bond.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #26 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i was sleeping

as for your first question. as wrong as it sounds, yes, some manufacturers do expect you to tie your guitar strap to the headstock. in fact, my acoustic is that way too, i prefer playing it sitting down though hehe.

personally i like this kind of strap (in black haha) Buy DiMarzio 2-Inch Nylon ClipLock Guitar Strap | Guitar & Bass Straps | Musician's Friend

whatever works though. GB's toothpick method also works really well, i usually added a bit of glue into the mix before forcing the screw into the hole to ensure a super tight bond.
Well, I'm glad you had some good dreams before waking up after my post put you to sleep. I'm relieved that my posts may serve at least one purpose on MB: helping sufferers of insomnia.

The guitar straps you recommend look very practical. Huh...so you like black. You don't like the bright green guitar strap?! I'll have to try one if my current Couch strap breaks. I'd go for red.

Okay, I have updated my notes. The new and improved loose screw fix is toothpick plus glue. Thanks, mr. dave!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,760
Default

Wha? My strap buttons work like a charm, it is a bit annoying trying to get a new strap on and off my acoustic and electric though. There is the old washer trick too, which costs like 1$. All you have to do is take the fucking washer and put that little fucker between the strap and the fucking button, but it requires you to take out the motherfucking button itself.

Sorry for all of the fucking profanity.
Farfisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.