Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Daktari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia
Posts: 154
Default

Hi there,

Seems that most of you guys are into playing more rock type stuff but here's an unusual tuning option that I have set up on my Patrick Eggle New York guitar.

I play a lot of Zimbabwe 'Tuku' style and soukous stuff. A trick here that can be used is to replace the D string with an extra top E string. This is then tuned to D but one octave higher than the regular D string.

Now, when playing in this African style, it throws in an extra high note when you wouldn't normally get one. It gives the illusion of some very tricky playing when really, it's a little cheat.Takes some getting used to, the knack is to not play around it but try to play what would normally be played and let it sound 'odd'. That would be the whole idea of doing this. Kind of fits in nicely with the high to low backward style bass lines that are used a lot in this music.

Gordon.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #32 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Hi there,

Seems that most of you guys are into playing more rock type stuff but here's an unusual tuning option that I have set up on my Patrick Eggle New York guitar.

I play a lot of Zimbabwe 'Tuku' style and soukous stuff. A trick here that can be used is to replace the D string with an extra top E string. This is then tuned to D but one octave higher than the regular D string.

Now, when playing in this African style, it throws in an extra high note when you wouldn't normally get one. It gives the illusion of some very tricky playing when really, it's a little cheat.Takes some getting used to, the knack is to not play around it but try to play what would normally be played and let it sound 'odd'. That would be the whole idea of doing this. Kind of fits in nicely with the high to low backward style bass lines that are used a lot in this music.

Gordon.
It sounds like a style that would invite "mistakes" which always makes for interesting results. I'll look this guy up.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Daktari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Originally from Lancashire, England, lived near Largs, Scotland and now live in Rocky Face, Georgia
Posts: 154
Default

Hey, nothing wrong with a few mistakes. Then I'd call it African jazz....just joking. That 'duff' note is supposed to be there.... and that one, whoah.. real jazzy..

I would recommend Oliver Mtukudzi,TUKU. Sounds simple on first listening but is great in it's simplicity and timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTA0Uncibck

Gordon.

Last edited by Daktari; 04-29-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Daktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #34 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Hey, nothing wrong with a few mistakes. Then I'd call it African jazz....just joking. That 'duff' note is supposed to be there.... and that one, whoah.. real jazzy..
Well thats what I'm saying. If we didn't have mistakes, nothing would get invented.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Well thats what I'm saying. If we didn't have mistakes, nothing would get invented.
Trail and error is the road to succes
Antieant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.