Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
youre definitely right. but if you want to put your own style on it, you first have to learn how it is originally played. I got a question for you, why do your posts always have that quote, "hendrix didnt even play the blues that well?" Do you agree with that statement?
he's making fun of me, cos i said that

and yes, i still think Hendrix wasn't much of a blues guitarists, too much flash and too many notes
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
he's making fun of me, cos i said that

and yes, i still think Hendrix wasn't much of a blues guitarists, too much flash and too many notes
Thats where psychadelic rock comes in.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #43 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

^^yep

Hendrix was the epitome of psychedelia
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

I dunno . . . Jimi plays some real blues right here (2nd take)

Hendrix 12 String - YouTube
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Lets not forget Red House, Catfish Blues, Born Under A BAd Sign, and countless other blues songs Hendrix did or covered really well imo.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM   #46 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

I can see what youre saying about him not being a "real" blues guitarist. He was too unique to play standard, "real" blues. He was doing his own thing. He blended blues, funk, rock and psychedelia into his own style. He was a big influence on funk greats like Bootsy Collins and Eddie Hazel. I think Red house was probably his bluesiest song, and he did a great job on it. What about the song Once I had a woman, thats one of my favorite Hendrix songs, its pretty bluesy. I think that 12 song is some real blues. But he definitely wasnt playing blues like BB King. Hendrix was something different and unique.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

I agree but what exzactly is a real blues guitarist? Are we talkin how they play, or where they come from and lifestyle? I know Hendrix liked to embelish his own techniques, and playing style with your run of the mill cliche type blues. But I dont think that dismiss's him totaly as a blues player. In fact if Hendrix wanted to just simply focus on playing traditional blues, I have no doubt he would have mastered that sound much like he mastered every other sound he was aiming for.

And yes "once I had a woman" is one of favorites as well. Anything Hendrix did I like. If he wrote a song about poop I would like it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #48 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

he hasn't really mastered phrasing and the tone is too wild

i respect his contributions to every other genre, though, and i think Remember is one of the best RnB songs ever
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
he hasn't really mastered phrasing and the tone is too wild

i respect his contributions to every other genre, though, and i think Remember is one of the best RnB songs ever
That was his style. He went beyond the boundaries of how the guitar "should" be played. He didnt learn by the rules, he did his own thing. He had an unorthodox approach to his guitar playing. And for that, I have much respect for the man. Music should not be limited to the rules. His style was complete expression.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloozcrooz View Post
I agree but what exzactly is a real blues guitarist? Are we talkin how they play, or where they come from and lifestyle? I know Hendrix liked to embelish his own techniques, and playing style with your run of the mill cliche type blues. But I dont think that dismiss's him totaly as a blues player. In fact if Hendrix wanted to just simply focus on playing traditional blues, I have no doubt he would have mastered that sound much like he mastered every other sound he was aiming for.

And yes "once I had a woman" is one of favorites as well. Anything Hendrix did I like. If he wrote a song about poop I would like it.
i can agree agree with that. Traditional blues was not the sound he was looking for. As a matter of fact, when hendrix was younger, his style was in the form of a more standard blues. In the Hendrix biography room full of mirrors, it was noted that his style was very much like that of BB king. But then he started to develop his own tone and his own sound.

Listen to the first phrases of this. The tone is less wild(I dont have a problem with his wild tone) and the style sounds more like traditional blues than most of his other stuff. I think the phrasing is just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXDbSJL8ZzE

Last edited by blastingas10; 09-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Yeah you have to excuse Duce he's a good guy but his issue he has with Hendrix is somewhat embarassing. Im glad Hendrix wasnt cliche and always trying to mix things up. What the standard is for the way a certain genre should sound, isnt the standard for everyone.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Fuck you, bloozin! Your stupid thread too!
<DoctorSoft>: You know life is good when you take Viagra to jack off lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
- Hendrix didn't even play the blues that well -

Amongst Mb's Most
Hated
(Smiley Face)
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.