Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
So do i to be honest, i love his drunken slurring.
What that tells me is that neither you nor sweet_nothing appreciate or even respect what was good about I Am The Walrus in the first place! Lennon's quirky and idiosyncratic, disturbing, ominous, sinister, brooding depiction of a schizophrenic nightmare... ripped out, chewed up, and spat out as an Oasis cookie-cutter staple. A bastardization if ever there was one...
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #32 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
ripped out, chewed up, and spat out as an Oasis cookie-cutter staple. A bastardization if ever there was one
^ I don't entirely agree with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
Lennon's quirky and idiosyncratic, disturbing, ominous, sinister, brooding depiction of a schizophrenic nightmare...
...but that ^ is a great description of I am the Walrus.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #33 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,970
Default

It is but its fairly inaccurate seeing as I Am the Walrus was just Lennon making fun of Dylan.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #34 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
It is but its fairly inaccurate seeing as I Am the Walrus was just Lennon making fun of Dylan.
Is that true?
If it is, that's even more interesting than Rainard's take.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #35 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,970
Default

Yeah it was him trying to write Subterranean Homesick Blues style, the lyrics are intentionally nonsense only the chorus has some slight-meaning to it because its a Through the Looking-Glass reference.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
It is but its fairly inaccurate seeing as I Am the Walrus was just Lennon making fun of Dylan.
The intent of the song was not "making fun of Dylan", it was attempting to write obscure like Dylan was. Even if there were elements of parody, that was not the sole intent of the song at all. Some of the lyrics were written on various acid trips and whatever the writer's vision was, the effect is a menacing schizophrenic nightmare in sound.

Lennon was very proud of I Am The Walrus and considered it one of his most innovative efforts. Due to this he was extremely pissed off and in disbelief when McCartney's Hello Goodbye was made an A-side single, with I Am The Walrus as the B-side.
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,970
Default

Only the first two lines were written on acid trips most of it were admittedly nonsense and even the opening lines are a play on an old folk song. It's completely a parody on Dylan's lyrics at the time which were frankly 90% rubbish and I'm sure as an excellent lyricist himself John was fully aware Dylan's lyrics we're written for the sake of being written and didn't have any sort of meaning behind it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack fire drill View Post
Only the first two lines were written on acid trips most of it were admittedly nonsense and even the opening lines are a play on an old folk song. It's completely a parody on Dylan's lyrics at the time which were frankly 90% rubbish and I'm sure as an excellent lyricist himself John was fully aware Dylan's lyrics we're written for the sake of being written and didn't have any sort of meaning behind it.
Doubtless, the lyrics are meaningless. The imagery though I'm sure is inspired by hallucinations and whatnot, in spite of the meaninglessness.

BTW just what was Dylan's stuff of the time? I'm unfamiliar with late 60s Dylan, I know him from the 60s mostly for Blonde On Blonde and Return to...
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 AM   #39 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainard Jalen View Post
What that tells me is that neither you nor sweet_nothing appreciate or even respect what was good about I Am The Walrus in the first place! Lennon's quirky and idiosyncratic, disturbing, ominous, sinister, brooding depiction of a schizophrenic nightmare... ripped out, chewed up, and spat out as an Oasis cookie-cutter staple. A bastardization if ever there was one...
Of course i appreciate and respect that song, i just respect the other version more. Its one of the rare moments (i think anyway) that Oasis seemed to be having any fun on record. Fact is I Am The Walrus is a lot more fun than you have it made out, and Oasis stayed true to that.
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Its one of the rare moments (i think anyway) that Oasis seemed to be having any fun on record.
We talking about the same band? Oasis was always having fun!
Rainard Jalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.