Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #121 (permalink)
like i was poison ivy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
So then if one has different tastes then our own, they are automatically pretentious and poseurs?

I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin & Hendrix. I also agree with the fact that the Beatles later records were revolutionary. Having said that, however, there are other albums that were also VERY important and influential.

When dealing with only 5 albums from an entire year, clearly there are going to be deserving records left off. Just because your 5 and Streetwaves don't match is not an indication of a problem. Unless you just insist on making it one.

Trout Mask has influenced MANY MANY over the years. King Crimson's debut is THE original Prog masterpiece. Miles Davis In a Silent Way was another EPIC album that is arguably the first Jazz Fusion album ever (apologies to Mr Coryell). Have you guys even heard Gal Costa? She is phenominal. What a brilliant piece of psychedelia. I know it is sung in Spanish, so it probably sucks...

I was not familiar with Don Cherry, so I went to allmusic and read their review of his 1969 release. The first sentence is "Eternal Rhythm is a masterpiece on several levels."



I mean disagree sure. There is a good argument to be made for LZ or Hendrix or Abbey Road, But Streetwaves' 5 from 1969 is SOLID. Even if some disagree.
^^^^^^
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #122 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
So then if one has different tastes than our own, they are automatically pretentious and poseurs?

I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin & Hendrix. I also agree with the fact that the Beatles later records were revolutionary. Having said that, however, there are other albums that were also VERY important and influential.

When dealing with only 5 albums from an entire year, clearly there are going to be deserving records left off. Just because your 5 and Streetwaves don't match is not an indication of a problem. Unless you just insist on making it one.

Trout Mask has influenced MANY MANY over the years. King Crimson's debut is THE original Prog masterpiece. Miles Davis In a Silent Way was another EPIC album that is arguably the first Jazz Fusion album ever (apologies to Mr Coryell). Have you guys even heard Gal Costa? She is phenominal. What a brilliant piece of psychedelia. I know it is sung in Spanish, so it probably sucks...

I was not familiar with Don Cherry, so I went to allmusic and read their review of his 1969 release. The first sentence is "Eternal Rhythm is a masterpiece on several levels."



I mean disagree sure. There is a good argument to be made for LZ or Hendrix or Abbey Road, But Streetwaves' 5 from 1969 is SOLID. Even if some disagree.
I think you are underestimating the albums I mentioned. Sure they may not be your number one, but they changed music more than pretty much any albums to date in the history of modern day music. The sheer amount of influence they produced makes them automatically bounce to the top. Why do people almost always say Hendrix is the best guitarist? Not because he is the best at the instrument or wrote the best songs but he influenced more musicians than probably anyone else in history.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #123 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cledussnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Alabama via New Orleans
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
I think you are underestimating the albums I mentioned. Sure they may not be your number one, but they changed music more than pretty much any albums to date in the history of modern day music. The sheer amount of influence they produced makes them automatically bounce to the top. Why do people almost always say Hendrix is the best guitarist? Not because he is the best at the instrument or wrote the best songs but he influenced more musicians than probably anyone else in history.
Surely you jest.

I specifically said there were good cases to be made for LZ, Hendrix and The Beatles. They were all phenomenal. The OP had Revolver and Rubber Soul listed in earlier years. If you look through the first page it is obvious the OP likes more Avant Garde, Glam and Proto Punk than the typical RnR that Zeppelin and Hendrix were absolute masters of.

Staying with 1969 specifically, Hendrix didn't release an album. Zeppelin is super, but hardly ground breaking in 1969. Heck most of the tracks on their first two albums are cover songs. Now they EXECUTED every song superbly and are arguably the best RnR band ever, but I wouldn't say the 1st two albums are hands down in the top 5 for 1969. "Abbey Road" is fantastic, but certainly not the Beatles strongest album.

"Let it Bleed" is probably the Stones best album and should be mentioned also, along with The Stooges first album, Neil Young's "Everyone Knows This is Nowhere", Jethro Tull's "Stand Up!, Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul", David Bowie's "Space Oddity", The Who's "Tommy", arguably the first Rock Opera (apologies to Mark Wirtz), MC5's "Kick Out the Jams", and probably Flying Burrito Brothers' "The Gilded Palace of Sin".

There are simply too many that "belong" in the top 5 and as I said before, it might not be the same as MY top 5, but the albums listed for 1969 by the op are SOLID choices and certainly do not warrant such attacks.

FWIW MY top 5 for 1969 would be:

1) King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
2) Led Zeppelin - LZ I
3) Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
4) Chicago - Transit Authority
5) Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #124 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Staying with 1969 specifically, Hendrix didn't release an album.
I didn't say he did..........?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Zeppelin is super, but hardly ground breaking in 1969. Heck most of the tracks on their first two albums are cover songs.
I hope to god that is a joke. First off because something is a cover song means nothing. Blues has always been about covers and updating them with the times. So All Along the Watchtower or Born Under A Bad Sign were not revolutionary because they were covers? Thats a joke. Led Zeppelin 1 and 2 were released in ONE YEAR. I really would like to see your argument defending the fact that brought nothing new to the table.

Whats the reason for nearly every rock guitarist siting early LZ as amain influence? Because they were nothing new?

edit: Even Ritche Blackmore aroudn the time of machinehead and Fireball admited to his main influence for what what considered one of the heaviest albums ever recorded was the first couple Zep albums.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #125 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Norg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,440
Default

all u old geezers still talkin about da 60's LOL :P get with the times man
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:46 PM   #126 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Most poseurs have their threads full up with the likes of Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart and Miles Davis.
ah, but only a true poseur like me would think Miles Davis' On the Corner is his best, think highly of Cap's Bluejeans and Moonbeams and think VU's 1969 is the best live album EVER recorded
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #127 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cledussnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Alabama via New Orleans
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post

I hope to god that is a joke. First off because something is a cover song means nothing. Blues has always been about covers and updating them with the times. So All Along the Watchtower or Born Under A Bad Sign were not revolutionary because they were covers? Thats a joke. Led Zeppelin 1 and 2 were released in ONE YEAR. I really would like to see your argument defending the fact that brought nothing new to the table.

I love Zeppelin. I'll repeat that the bands technical mastery is unparalleled. Page was in a favorable position and always had super gear. I would argue the most ground breaking thing about Zeppelin's first two albums is the sound quality. I mean other bands were covering blues records, but no one did it as great and as awesome as LZ.

I guess I would ask what YOU think is "revolutionary" about any thing on either album. Yes they were the best band and had the best sound hands down, but what was something you consider revolutionary about them?
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post

I guess I would ask what YOU think is "revolutionary" about any thing on either album. Yes they were the best band and had the best sound hands down, but what was something you consider revolutionary about them?
Post a a few songs pre 1969 that sounded like anything off Led Zepp 1.. Thats all the proof I think I need.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #129 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cledussnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Alabama via New Orleans
Posts: 149
Default











None of them are nearly as good, but you asked...


Were they harder rocking than anything before them?
Perhaps, but Hendrix and Cream were before them. How about Iron Butterfly? Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac? Tull? Dave Edmund's Love Sculpture?

I mean I don't know how many times I can repeat I LOVE Led Zep, but I just have a hard time seeing them as revolutionary, excepting their musicianship and sound.
They were the best band ever assembled, fact.


But what is "proof"?
are you 15?

I asked you a simple question. What do YOU find to be revolutionary about them?

You skirted that simple question.

Can you answer it?

Or is Zeppelin revolutionary just because YOU say so?

Last edited by cledussnow; 05-23-2012 at 10:18 PM.
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #130 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
all u old geezers still talkin about da 60's LOL :P get with the times man
We are with the times, but history is always relevant to understand the present, I guess you never took your history lessons seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
I love Zeppelin. I'll repeat that the bands technical mastery is unparalleled. Page was in a favorable position and always had super gear. I would argue the most ground breaking thing about Zeppelin's first two albums is the sound quality. I mean other bands were covering blues records, but no one did it as great and as awesome as LZ.

I guess I would ask what YOU think is "revolutionary" about any thing on either album. Yes they were the best band and had the best sound hands down, but what was something you consider revolutionary about them?
I think you're confusing revolutionary with originality here, some of the most revolutionary bands in the history of rock such as the Who, Sex Pistols and Nirvana weren't overly original but they were revolutionary. Led Zep were revolutionary because they fused blues and hard rock better than anybody else had done in 1969 and went off like a bomb. Bands like Free and Jeff Beck had done this type of thing about a year earlier and before that bands like Blue Cheer had played blues louder than anybody else and Cream had laid down the criteria, but it was Led Zep that revolutionized the whole thing. The 1970s was the era of hard rock and that is mostly down to the influence of Led Zep at the start of the decade. As Rez had also said, nearly every heavy act since was influenced by Led Zep. They along with Black Sabbath made both hard rock and heavy metal what it is today. Do you still think there is nothing revolutionary about Led Zep? If you doubt anything I've said, a bit of research will bring you to the same conclusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.