Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #131 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Led Zep are ok in my books

as i've said time and time again, i could live without their last 2 albums
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #132 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
Led Zep are ok in my books

as i've said time and time again, i could live without their last 2 albums
If you mean studio albums, I disagree. Presence was f'ing ace.
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #133 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cledussnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Alabama via New Orleans
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post

I think you're confusing revolutionary with originality here, some of the most revolutionary bands in the history of rock such as the Who, Sex Pistols and Nirvana weren't overly original but they were revolutionary. Led Zep were revolutionary because they fused blues and hard rock better than anybody else had done in 1969 and went off like a bomb. Bands like Free and Jeff Beck had done this type of thing about a year earlier and before that bands like Blue Cheer had played blues louder than anybody else and Cream had laid down the criteria, but it was Led Zep that revolutionized the whole thing. The 1970s was the era of hard rock and that is mostly down to the influence of Led Zep at the start of the decade. As Rez had also said, nearly every heavy act since was influenced by Led Zep. They along with Black Sabbath made both hard rock and heavy metal what it is today. Do you still think there is nothing revolutionary about Led Zep? If you doubt anything I've said, a bit of research will bring you to the same conclusion.
OK I think that was said very nicely. I don't have a problem with that definition. You are absolutley correct, they were revolutionary because they were the first to bring all the elements together so perfectly. THAT is a legitimate argument.

My whole point is really about the stupidity of chastising another's list because "best" is subjective. Every one of the albums listed by the OP have a valid part in the discussion of "best" albums of their particular year.

There can be no denying the HUGE influence of Trout Mask, In a Silent Way, and In the Court had on music. Bands that were influenced by Zeppelin are probably more mainstream and more widely known than the bands who would cite those other albums as influences, but surely we can all agree that well-known doesn't automatically equal "better".

To simply dismiss the list as pretentious is about as ignorant as someone arguing Led Zeppelin I wasn't revolutionary....

Last edited by cledussnow; 05-24-2012 at 07:58 AM.
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #134 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
If you mean studio albums, I disagree. Presence was f'ing ace.
oh welcome back

Presence had a few good songs, that's about it
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #135 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post

There can be no denying the HUGE influence of Trout Mask, In a Silent Way, and In the Court had on music. Bands that were influenced by Zeppelin are probably more mainstream and more widely known than the bands who would cite those other albums as influences, but surely we can all agree that well-known doesn't automatically equal "better".

To simply dismiss the list as pretentious is about as ignorant as someone arguing Led Zeppelin I wasn't revolutionary....
My remark about pretentious is largely tongue in cheek anyway, the OP's list is pretentious at times, but there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just advocating what Rez put forward and that was the list needed to be rocked up a bit!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #136 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
cledussnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Alabama via New Orleans
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
My remark about pretentious is largely tongue in cheek anyway, the OP's list is pretentious at times, but there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just advocating what Rez put forward and that was the list needed to be rocked up a bit!
Yeah because YOU prefer rock...

Am I the only one who can understand the simple concept that "best" is subjective.

I don't think Pet Sounds is superior to Revolver, but it is MY OPINION.

It is perfectly acceptable for people to have different tastes.

Just a pet peeve of mine when people think their OPINION is the only right answer. Just dumb really.
cledussnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #137 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

i'd still populate my list with hipster-esque stuff
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #138 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cledussnow View Post
Yeah because YOU prefer rock...

Am I the only one who can understand the simple concept that "best" is subjective.

I don't think Pet Sounds is superior to Revolver, but it is MY OPINION.

It is perfectly acceptable for people to have different tastes.

Just a pet peeve of mine when people think their OPINION is the only right answer. Just dumb really.
This whole issue actually started up, by the fact that we wanted more objectivity here and diversity on the OP's list (heavier stuff). Its obvious the OP doesn't like the heavier end of the spectrum though. BTW a lot of my album collection, has some of the artists that have been featured in this thread, SO I'm not only into hard rock.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #139 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
oh welcome back

Presence had a few good songs, that's about it
I don't know, as an album, it has a uniqueness to it that no other Zeppelin album has. Almost has a sort of funk going on. Don't even get me started on Tea for One or Achilles Last Stand...

Thanks for welcoming me back man, its been too long away from the good ol' MB, haha!
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #140 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
streetwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Default

Some of you people seem a little bit confused about the way music, opinions, art, and all that good **** works. This isn't the first time I've been called 'pretentious' in music-related discussions, despite the fact that if you knew me in real life, you'd know that that's pretty much exactly what I am not.

Many complaints seem to come from me not including very particular albums in my top 5 for year X or Y or Z. What's not considered is what my opinion is of the album in question. Do I flat out hate it because it doesn't fit into my snobby image? Nah. The case with most of the albums complained about for being missing here is that I do like them - perhaps even love them - but they just don't make the top 5. That usually isn't an insult to the albums missing from my list, it's a huge compliment to those included.

Now, I find it a bit odd that I'm accused of being pretentious despite including some fairly big "no-no's" for pretentious *******s. The Beatles, for instance. Now, I do personally find I'm in the mood for Pet Sounds a lot more, but I ain't gonna pretend I don't like me some Revolver just because I've since discovered The VU, Beefheart, and King Crimson. Revolver's good **** and I'll argue with anyone who disagrees with that.

As for Led Zeppelin, they actually were the band that started my interest in music. No ****. For that reason, I have a lot of sentimental value attached to the band, but I'm not going to lie either and pretend I still enjoy them as much as I do when I was in high school. I genuinely do consider the albums mentioned above Zep's albums to be superior.

For the record, though, let's define what I mean by "superior". Actually, it should be known that the way I make lists seems to change every post I make. Sometimes I'm more likely to include albums I "enjoy" more, and sometimes I'm more likely to post albums that I think more highly of. These are two different things. I may turn on some Led Zeppelin and "enjoy it more" 70% of the time than Captain Beefheart, depending on my mood of course. With that said, there's no question which music impresses me more. And for the record, there are times when I genuinely enjoy more avant-gard or "difficult" stuff more. There's a time for everything.

I won't even bother going back and reading what albums I chose, because it's likely not going to agree with what I'd pick today. I'll probably make another thread, and abandon it halfway through like I always do. Also, for you pricks saying "I'm a poseur" and "I'm not coming back because I failed", don't flatter yourselves. I lose interest quickly but I'll occasionally come back and would be glad to argue with you on any subject. Including your favorite hard rawk album versus whatever I say is better. Let's have that conversation, and maybe we can learn something from each other. But please, present a better argument than "I'm pretentious", or I'll only see the need to respond with "you're an idiot."
__________________
rateyourmusic
streetwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.