Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Mike, first, welcome to the forum! Not trying to pick your wording or threads apart, but what does that mean?
Record labels. Trust me when they sign an artist any genre. Have a plan to milk that artist while they can. I work in the music industry. I was a scout for Indy labels. A major label which only consist of three major distribution company's at this point. Record labels in there current form come up with a sales pitch for a artist. Now record labels go out to find something in the most popular trend of the day. Be it whatever they consider to be popular at this time. Record labels do not care about talent anymore. They only see a artist in dollars and cents
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I hate to break it to you but pop music was full of record label supported trends long before grunge came along.
Yes it started before Grunge. I know that. It has just gotten worse since then. But if you like music. You don't have to buy what's popular at the time. If you like a certain style there's plenty of avenues now more than ever to discover music
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

^^i.e. you were an A&R man?
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
^^i.e. you were an A&R man?
Yes for smaller Indy labels. I started in music with a band when i was 14 which I was the guitar player in. We played alot of shows in clubs. I decided when I didn't want to play clubs and just struggle by. I first got into management through managing my own band. I wanted to stay in music as a career. So I took a job with a small label out of Chicago. I was a A&R for them for about 2 years before I couldn't deal with it anymore. I currently work in a recording studio here in town and try to help young bands to get gigs and such. I plan on opening my own website for indy bands to sell there muisc as downloads in the near future
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #35 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadmike View Post
Yes for smaller Indy labels. I started in music with a band when i was 14 which I was the guitar player in. We played alot of shows in clubs. I decided when I didn't want to play clubs and just struggle by. I first got into management through managing my own band. I wanted to stay in music as a career. So I took a job with a small label out of Chicago. I was a A&R for them for about 2 years before I couldn't deal with it anymore. I currently work in a recording studio here in town and try to help young bands to get gigs and such. I plan on opening my own website for indy bands to sell there muisc as downloads in the near future
Cool, again-- welcome to the forum
__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Cool, again-- welcome to the forum
Thanks man. I'm new to discussing music on forums
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Still sends his reguards.
 
bob.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trying to get out of the cat town....
Posts: 5,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadmike View Post
Grunge movement
this always cracks me up .....i feel like i should attempt to write the grunge manifesto.....it was the media that created the term grunge....in fact its really nothing more than a bit watered down noise rock with pop hooks....which i feel is very obvious in these bands "inspiration"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I hate to break it to you but pop music was full of record label supported trends long before grunge came along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadmike View Post
Yes it started before Grunge. I know that. It has just gotten worse since then. But if you like music. You don't have to buy what's popular at the time. If you like a certain style there's plenty of avenues now more than ever to discover music
see i actually feel that this whole "movement" ....actually helped to take down the pop formula....i mean yes.....record labels went nuts looking for the next nirvana...or the next big sound (see the movie Dig!....it really goes into this)....but here you have unknown and humble "real" bands....as opposed to record label created bands....putting out records with shout out to their friends bands and the awesome bands that they loved and helped mold their sound.....then you have the 15-17 year old target (me) soaking in and looking into ever band mentioned by these people....and thus being fully emerged in underground music.....i went in 20 years ago and have yet to come up for air (save lady gaga i fucking love her)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadmike View Post
Yes for smaller Indy labels. I started in music with a band when i was 14 which I was the guitar player in. We played alot of shows in clubs. I decided when I didn't want to play clubs and just struggle by. I first got into management through managing my own band. I wanted to stay in music as a career. So I took a job with a small label out of Chicago. I was a A&R for them for about 2 years before I couldn't deal with it anymore. I currently work in a recording studio here in town and try to help young bands to get gigs and such. I plan on opening my own website for indy bands to sell there muisc as downloads in the near future
....Wax trax?!?!?!
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob. View Post
this always cracks me up .....i feel like i should attempt to write the grunge manifesto.....it was the media that created the term grunge....in fact its really nothing more than a bit watered down noise rock with pop hooks....which i feel is very obvious in these bands "inspiration"....





see i actually feel that this whole "movement" ....actually helped to take down the pop formula....i mean yes.....record labels went nuts looking for the next nirvana...or the next big sound (see the movie Dig!....it really goes into this)....but here you have unknown and humble "real" bands....as opposed to record label created bands....putting out records with shout out to their friends bands and the awesome bands that they loved and helped mold their sound.....then you have the 15-17 year old target (me) soaking in and looking into ever band mentioned by these people....and thus being fully emerged in underground music.....i went in 20 years ago and have yet to come up for air (save lady gaga i fucking love her)



....Wax trax?!?!?!
I worked for smaller label there. But there no longer indy. Won't mention there name. But they were mostly Hardcore Music when I was there
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.