Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

i'll go totally out on a limb here and say the best Slayer is Show No Mercy
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I think most people would agree with you, but "RIB" just never clicked with me. That's why I threw in my GG "Octopus" analogy. Many people consider that a genre defining album as well, but it just never worked for me.
About GG's Octopus as being genre defining, I may be incorrect in writing this, but I thought MB was a bit special in hyping that record. When I look at progarchives, both In A Glass House and Free Hand are more highly rated. I don't think it's particularly genre defining as it features GG experimentations similar to what they'd put out before and it was released in 1972 when prog had had time to mature a bit.

In regards to your review, I get Jans' point about judging RIB by the criterias that it should be melodical and harmonious to be good a little unfair. However, I can't say I fully disagree with you as I too quite like melodies and harmonies.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
The only other album with that sheer intensity but still retaining control is Infest's Slave. They should put these albums in music class!
I've never even heard of that Infest album before. I'll have to check that one out!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
About GG's Octopus as being genre defining, I may be incorrect in writing this, but I thought MB was a bit special in hyping that record. When I look at progarchives, both In A Glass House and Free Hand are more highly rated. I don't think it's particularly genre defining as it features GG experimentations similar to what they'd put out before and it was released in 1972 when prog had had time to mature a bit.

In regards to your review, I get Jans' point about judging RIB by the criterias that it should be melodical and harmonious to be good a little unfair. However, I can't say I fully disagree with you as I too quite like melodies and harmonies.
Tore, when I mentioned "Octopus" as genre defining, I was alluding to many of the commenters here-- primarily from when I posted my "Octopus" review. I used to live on progarchives, and you are correct that some other GG albums are rated higher. For me, and I mentioned this in the comments after my "Octopus review, I like "In a Glass House" better.

And, per your recommendations from that thread, I am going to give GG another shot and give "Free Hand" and "The Power and the Glory" a listen.
__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
About GG's Octopus as being genre defining, I may be incorrect in writing this, but I thought MB was a bit special in hyping that record. When I look at progarchives, both In A Glass House and Free Hand are more highly rated. I don't think it's particularly genre defining as it features GG experimentations similar to what they'd put out before and it was released in 1972 when prog had had time to mature a bit.

In regards to your review, I get Jans' point about judging RIB by the criterias that it should be melodical and harmonious to be good a little unfair. However, I can't say I fully disagree with you as I too quite like melodies and harmonies.
melody is not a very good yardstick for metal, unless if it's power metal

it's got to make your hormones burn

yes, RiB is fast and brutal, but it's a huge massive blur, because the song structures and arrangements just aren't very good, and a lot of the songs sound like each other
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce;1140439 yes, [I
RiB[/I] is fast and brutal, but it's a huge massive blur, because the song structures and arrangements just aren't very good, and a lot of the songs sound like each other
Agreed 100%... my original point in my review
__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
melody is not a very good yardstick for metal, unless if it's power metal

it's got to make your hormones burn

yes, RiB is fast and brutal, but it's a huge massive blur, because the song structures and arrangements just aren't very good, and a lot of the songs sound like each other
I'd agree with you, but I think you're wrong.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #38 (permalink)
subscribe to pewdiepie
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
melody is not a very good yardstick for metal, unless if it's power metal

it's got to make your hormones burn

yes, RiB is fast and brutal, but it's a huge massive blur, because the song structures and arrangements just aren't very good, and a lot of the songs sound like each other
Well, the album really isn't meant to be listened to song for song. The fact that the songs sound alike can be seen as a strength depending on your point of view. It's an album that's supposed to be the epitome of thrash, and as such it's supposed to deliver the most pure, visceral, thrash experience possible. Different sounding songs would make you think, "Hey that song sounds different" which will only take you out of myopic, head banging mode by making you think, even if only for a second. RIB is supposed to induce a frenzied bout of brain dead head banging and nothing else, and that's exactly what it does.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well, the album really isn't meant to be listened to song for song. The fact that the songs sound alike can be seen as a strength depending on your point of view. It's an album that's supposed to be the epitome of thrash, and as such it's supposed to deliver the most pure, visceral, thrash experience possible. Different sounding songs would make you think, "Hey that song sounds different" which will only take you out of myopic, head banging mode by making you think, even if only for a second. RIB is supposed to induce a frenzied bout of brain dead head banging and nothing else, and that's exactly what it does.
i use Metallica's Kill 'Em All for that, even if it is just basically speeded-up Diamond Head
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
i use Metallica's Kill 'Em All for that, even if it is just basically speeded-up Diamond Head
^Now that's a thrash album I think is overrated.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.