Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Avant Garde/Experimental (https://www.musicbanter.com/avant-garde-experimental/)
-   -   Post-Rock Thread (https://www.musicbanter.com/avant-garde-experimental/16372-post-rock-thread.html)

jackhammer 12-08-2007 01:30 PM

Do they? I prefer the more ambient side like Anoice TBH.

cardboard adolescent 12-08-2007 01:36 PM

Tortoise is all over the place, but UI always lock into a stellar groove because they have the double bass thing going on.

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 02:54 PM

For Tortoise i'd get Millions Now Living Will Never Die, it's generally held as their best and I personally think there's a reason for it.

jonvech 12-08-2007 06:00 PM

I just saw Explosions in the Sky open up for the Pumpkins recently in philly. They were very very good. I can't say i listen to them too much but if they were on I definitly would NOT turn them off. Sigur Ros is probably my favorite Post-rock band at the moment. I didn't realize there existed post-rock before the 90's but after reading this thread I am enlightened. I have heard of Talk Talk and Slint however. Never sought out to listen to them though. Don't know why. Spirit of Eden and Spiderland eh? Will probably have to check those out.

Kevorkian Logic 12-08-2007 06:42 PM

You should, there are much better bands out there than Sigur Ros, no lie.

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic (Post 420642)
You should, there are much better bands out there than Sigur Ros, no lie.

Just not many.

You know I don't mention this album enough but Copia by Eluvium really is a beautiful release and more people should listen to it. I'd check that one out jackhammer, it's going in the post rock top 10.

O'Bannion 12-11-2007 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 420650)
You know I don't mention this album enough but Copia by Eluvium really is a beautiful release and more people should listen to it. I'd check that one out jackhammer, it's going in the post rock top 10.


That is a really good album. I guess I just considered it more of a electronica/ambient type album. Will have to give it another go around.

lucylamppost 12-18-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevorkian Logic (Post 420496)
If you want to go obvious I would say listen to Tortoise, or at least their early cds, i'm quite fond of those. I like Kinski a fair amount as well, i'm unsure if they're known or not.


I brought Kinski Newest cd after telling the boy at the cd store to pick me any cd




It blew my mind

Seltzer 12-20-2007 03:43 PM

This is basically copying my post from the other post-rock thread.

For post-rock I'd especially recommend Jakob - Solace, Caspian - You Are the Conductor and Mono - You Are There. That Mono album is especially beautiful - their earlier stuff is good too, but of a slightly different style.

For post-metal Isis, Neurosis and Pelican are pretty much all very good. I haven't explored post-metal as much as post-rock. Those ones may take a bit more listening to get used to.

Isis is my favourite band in all post rock/metal.

Post-Rock:
Jakob - Excellent NZ post rock, check out Solace (seen them 3 times this year)... definitely my fav post-rock band.
Caspian - Should probably start with You Are the Conductor
Mono - of course!
Sparrows, Swarm and Sing
Red Sparowes
Sickoakes
Russian Circles
Pirate Ship Quintet
Maserati
Yndi Halda
Lanterna - a bit repetitive, but nice and dreamy
Ellis the Vacuumchild
Votiva Lux
The Evpatoria Report

Post-Metal:
Isis - Oceanic/Panopticon
Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats...
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

jackhammer 12-20-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seltzer (Post 423935)
This is basically copying my post from the other post-rock thread.

For post-rock I'd especially recommend Jakob - Solace, Caspian - You Are the Conductor and Mono - You Are There. That Mono album is especially beautiful - their earlier stuff is good too, but of a slightly different style.

For post-metal Isis, Neurosis and Pelican are pretty much all very good. I haven't explored post-metal as much as post-rock. Those ones may take a bit more listening to get used to.

Isis is my favourite band in all post rock/metal.

Post-Rock:
Jakob - Excellent NZ post rock, check out Solace (seen them 3 times this year)... definitely my fav post-rock band.
Caspian - Should probably start with You Are the Conductor
Mono - of course!
Sparrows, Swarm and Sing
Red Sparowes
Sickoakes
Russian Circles
Pirate Ship Quintet
Maserati
Yndi Halda
Lanterna - a bit repetitive, but nice and dreamy
Ellis the Vacuumchild
Votiva Lux
The Evpatoria Report

Post-Metal:
Isis - Oceanic/Panopticon
Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats...
Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

Big up to Seltzer for this list.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.


© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.