Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Classical
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Is classical music still relevant today?
YES 172 95.03%
NO 9 4.97%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #231 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,974
Default

Lol keep telling yourself that.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #232 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 10,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Lol keep telling yourself that.
He's right though. Any millennial who listens to a lot of classical is part of a large minority. This board can't be used as a consensus.
__________________
Flame bait is a message posted to a public Internet discussion group with the intent of provoking an angry response or argument over a topic the "troll" often has no real interest in, and finds humor, or entertainment in reactions.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #233 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
He's right though. Any millennial who listens to a lot of classical is part of a large minority. This board can't be used as a consensus.
I don't think you have to listen to something to recognize it and understand its relevancy.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #234 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,172
Default

Classical songs like Fur Elise and Moonlight Sonata are iconic, so it is relevant.

Especially when songs like Lacrimosa are being put in cinema or video games all the time.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:59 AM   #235 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

The only place it has in comparison to today's music. The question posed in the OP. Is that it is shoved into movie and video game soundtracks. It does have the same revelency among other popular genres in today's music.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #236 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,974
Default

"Shoved in" lulz. Like any other genre, it can be used for increasing the efficacy of the visuals and has become a cliche because it is so effective. Just admit that you're wrong DJ.

"Today's music" is infinitely more ambiguous of an entity than it ever has been, too. 90% of "today's music" has not had a fraction of the success and recognition as the classic composers or even more modern ones like Julia Wolfe and David Lang. So in comparison to today's music, classical is more popular than it ever has been, since we're juxtaposing it to the music of the world today.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:31 AM   #237 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,172
Default

Classical Music has to have active listeners for it to be put in Cinema or Video Games.

And it still inspires modern music. It's iconic. It's bigger than Kanye West. I'm sure more people recognize classical music than Kanye West music.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #238 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
"Shoved in" lulz. Like any other genre, it can be used for increasing the efficacy of the visuals and has become a cliche because it is so effective. Just admit that you're wrong DJ.
I don't deny that but again it isn't what the OP was asking. Now let's address the second part of your post which is more relevant to the OP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
"Today's music" is infinitely more ambiguous of an entity than it ever has been, too. 90% of "today's music" has not had a fraction of the success and recognition as the classic composers or even more modern ones like Julia Wolfe and David Lang. So in comparison to today's music, classical is more popular than it ever has been, since we're juxtaposing it to the music of the world today.
"Today's music" can be defined by what's popular on TOP 40 radio stations.
Those stations don't have classical pieces being played in heavy rotation. The majority of people listen to the radio whether they want to or not through work or just toss it to a TOP 40 station when they hop in the car. Be realistic. there is no way that classical music is more popular than most common genres. This isn't about success/record sales like you are trying to make it be about. This is about the reach of the music through radio stations. Sure there are a few classical radio stations but I bet they hardly get as many listeners as a TOP 40 station or Urban hip hop/R&B station or Country radio station.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #239 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,974
Default

Music goes so far past top 40 that I didn't even both to read after that first sentence.

I guess it's just a fundamental disagreement between us that other music exists.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:12 PM   #240 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
In comparison with today's music (pop, rock, metal, electronica, etc). Does classical music still have a place amongst today's audience, or has it been relegated to more specific listeners (i.e. music students, people learning instruments, elderly people)?

WHY or WHY NOT?
I don't see what extra **** is being pulled from the question that negates either of our points.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.