The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #18421 (permalink)
...here to hear...
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 4,444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
And what's your top achievement OH.. is it when those black kid's said you seemed like you were black
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
No offense but... Have you ever lived on your own? Staying with your mom is the ultimate sort of complacency. You have to actually face some risks to feel any motivation.
Well, one thing I've learned from all these pages is that jwb must have been an attentive lurker for a long long time!
__________________________________________________ _________________________

It's a bit unfair to take a position of "You like anarchy? Go be an anarchist" imo. It sounds uncomfortably like Trump's "If you don't like it, leave," which even by Trump standards is an offensive and hypocritical slogan.

I was puzzled at how people were talking about anarchy and communism, and even coming up with the term anarcho communism. Aren't those two ideas mutually exclusive? Anarchy is about having no rules, living on a commune is full of rules from day one I imagine.

A friend of mine did actually walk the walk by volunteering on a kibbutz in Israel for six months: still an option for anyone afaik, incl non-Jews:- https://kibbutzvolunteers.org.il/

He came back with stories of lots hard work and regulations, but he had first-hand experience of what is prob the world's most successful experiment in voluntary communism. Thousands of people have lived on kibbutzes, which have been around for 70 years or so. Meanwhile, I stayed at home, thank you very much, and made do with reading Jerry Richard's book, which paints an intriguing but rather sad picture of short-lived American communes - but yeah, it's a great read if you're curious about wacky idealists who walked the walk and ended up floundering in the mud of reality:-

Spoiler for big pic of book:
__________________
"Am I enjoying this moment? I know of it and perhaps that is enough." - Sybille Bedford, 1953

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 07-22-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 AM   #18422 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
I am 32
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:39 AM   #18423 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Well, one thing I've learned from all these pages is that jwb must have been an attentive lurker for a long long time!
__________________________________________________ _________________________

It's a bit unfair to take a position of "You like anarchy? Go be an anarchist" imo. It sounds uncomfortably like Trump's "If you don't like it, leave," which even by Trump standards is an offensive and hypocritical slogan.

I was puzzled at how people were talking about anarchy and communism, and even coming up with the term anarcho communism. Aren't those two ideas mutually exclusive? Anarchy is about having no rules, living on a commune is full of rules from day one I imagine.

A friend of mine did actually walk the walk by volunteering on a kibbutz in Israel for six months: still an option for anyone afaik, incl non-Jews:- https://kibbutzvolunteers.org.il/

He came back with stories of lots hard work and regulations, but he had first-hand experience of what is prob the world's most successful experiment in voluntary communism. Thousands of people have lived on kibbutzes, which have been around for 70 years or so. Meanwhile, I stayed at home, thank you very much, and made do with reading Jerry Richard's book, which paints an intriguing but rather sad picture of short-lived American communes - but yeah, it's a great read if you're curious about wacky idealists who walked the walk and ended up floundering in the mud of reality:-

Spoiler for big pic of book:
I knew Batlord before I was banned.

And I'm not telling them to leave. I just asked why you wouldn't want to join one. The communes are in the United States btw, but nice try

@ OH there's absolutely nothing you can say that will bring me down or hurt my feelings. You don't think I'm already aware of my flaws? Living through it was worse than any snide remark you can make
Keep trying though.I love attention.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:42 AM   #18424 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,403
Default

And honestly the reason I asked the commune wisdom is cause I don't really think OH believes in his Utopia. I think he just wants to watch things burn.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #18425 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
I was puzzled at how people were talking about anarchy and communism, and even coming up with the term anarcho communism. Aren't those two ideas mutually exclusive?
No. In fact, at the core they’re really synonyms. To be pulled off successfully cooperation and community support have to be the cornerstone and the cultural norm of the populace leading to the same space in both cases.

I get that it sounds idealistic but since competition and hierarchy have proven to be not only unsustainable but also an assured path to extinction, well a 1% chance is better than none.

And even though communism has the viscious track record of Stalin and Mao and others it’s still worth going back to the drawing board.

Quote:
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs
Maybe with computers and automation and democratizing forms of mass communication and shifts in our values it has a better chance of working out.

Automation plus UBI could be a gigantic step into a post-capitalist framework.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #18426 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,403
Default

I actually agree with that for the most part

I just don't believe the state is going anywhere
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #18427 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
And honestly the reason I asked the commune wisdom is cause I don't really think OH believes in his Utopia. I think he just wants to watch things burn.
Is that because I’ve actually said that thousands of times?

Quote:
OH there's absolutely nothing you can say that will bring me down or hurt my feelings. You don't think I'm already aware of my flaws?
Actually, I don’t. I think you’re almost a cliche of the lack of self-awareness that accompanies early recovery.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #18428 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I actually agree with that for the most part

I just don't believe the state is going anywhere
It probably isn’t.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:06 AM   #18429 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
communes are doomed to poverty as they're surrounded by capitalism

it's always been that communism must be global to succeed
Church
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #18430 (permalink)
jwb
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Actually, I don’t. I think you’re almost a cliche of the lack of self-awareness that accompanies early recovery.
enlightened me. Tell me something I don't know.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.