Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Oh man you know what I hate? Waiting at a green light for a funeral to pass by. I mean, like, I probably didn't know the person or anything, why should I have to sit at a light for like a whole minute?
Not remotely the same thing. A moments silence is forced upon you rather than something passing by that you have to briefly endure and it tangles you with a particular cause or event and assumes your regret that said event took place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Respect for the dead is respect for the dead. It doesn't matter if your personal politics or beliefs don't align with those of the bereaved. You honor their feelings and sense of loss regardless and know they would do the same for you. There's no means of justifying showing a lack of respect toward someone that has suffered a loss through tragedy, no matter how "right" you are in your beliefs.
Nah i don't agree with that. I don't want to be instructed on how i should honor a particular event and if i supported the cause then i supported the deaths, not having a moments silence doesn't mean that i have been disrespectful either. And frankly i don't agree with respect for the dead in all circumstances. Theres many people that i would be pretty happy to see meet a swift death.
Gareth Brown is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Brown View Post
Not remotely the same thing. A moments silence is forced upon you rather than something passing by that you have to briefly endure and it tangles you with a particular cause or event and assumes your regret that said event took place.
You're right, briefly enduring a pause in your day out of respect for the dead is completely different from briefly enduring a pause in your day out of respect for the dead.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Is their a purpose to you being here other than aggravating other people and wasting their time?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Abuser
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 570
Default

I think a lot of you are overlooking something very important here...

Aren't "moments of silence"...kind of ****ing stupid to begin with? What's the magic in not saying anything for a minute? I lay still, relatively quietly, for eight or so hours a night. There's an abundance of silent moments to commemorate all the lives of your dead relatives that I don't care about right there. It's just some idiotic tradition that doesn't mean anything, y'know, like taking off your hat when the national anthem is played. What's the point? Go on with the weird voodooed silence bullshit on your own time.
Wayfarer is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
You're right, briefly enduring a pause in your day out of respect for the dead is completely different from briefly enduring a pause in your day out of respect for the dead.
Its the reason that your enduring a pause in your day though, thats the key difference.
Gareth Brown is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
I think a lot of you are overlooking something very important here...

Aren't "moments of silence"...kind of ****ing stupid to begin with? What's the magic in not saying anything for a minute? I lay still, relatively quietly, for eight or so hours a night. There's an abundance of silent moments to commemorate all the lives of your dead relatives that I don't care about right there. It's just some idiotic tradition that doesn't mean anything, y'know, like taking off your hat when the national anthem is played. What's the point?
It is a ritual and a showing of respect. a moment of silence is a call to personal reflection.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
Is their a purpose to you being here other than aggravating other people and wasting their time?
What the ****? In what way am i attempting to aggravate people? I asked a simple question on a particular issue and wante dto know others views, i haven't said anything remotely offensive.
Gareth Brown is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Brown View Post
Its the reason that your enduring a pause in your day though, thats the key difference.
The reason in both cases is that someone died. Pretty simple.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
The reason in both cases is that someone died. Pretty simple.
'sigh'. I'm not sure you quite follow my reasoning here.
Gareth Brown is offline  
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered Abuser
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
a moment of silence is a call to personal reflection.
Right, but why should I have to do it? What if, the night before, I was eating my girlfriend out following an evening of Chinese food and accidentally threw up egg foo yong all over her vagina and she freaked out and started batting me over the head with an illuminated lamp and set my hair on fire and caused me to spend the next several hours at the hospital and so I really wasn't in the mood for personal reflection? I think one of the most respectful things we can do for the dead is do away with rather than perpetuate as many cretinous and unsought traditions/rituals that they unfortunately had to endure throughout their miserable existences as possible, don't you?
Wayfarer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.