Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 09:40 AM   #61 (permalink)
Muck Fusic
 
IamAlejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
No i'm not talking about that.. I'm talking about that little refund check that you get every year. People seem to forget about that.
If you're getting back money there are multiple concerns. First you are horrible at tax planning. It's better to owe a little bit.
Second and more importantly, if you're getting back everything you pay you're likely working some crap parttime job and have no idea what paying taxes really mean.
__________________
a man, a plan, a canal, panama
IamAlejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 AM   #62 (permalink)
Muck Fusic
 
IamAlejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,575
Default

And sorry to get on topic but I fail to have seen anyone note on the how this is a good idea at this economic timing and how some people fail to acknowledge how Obama has been a fan of the single payer system.
__________________
a man, a plan, a canal, panama
IamAlejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #63 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo View Post
If you're getting back money there are multiple concerns. First you are horrible at tax planning. It's better to owe a little bit.
Second and more importantly, if you're getting back everything you pay you're likely working some crap parttime job and have no idea what paying taxes really mean.
False. You don't know much about taxes as you claim to think you do but do whatever you want.

Some people like to let them take more off the top so that they get back a refund and there are people like you that rather have more in their paycheck but have to owe the IRS come tax time. There also are things such as tax credits and itemized deductions. I think you need to read up on both.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo View Post
one last thing...something similar to what the Dutch have with a tiered approach would be my ideal system. I'm still not sure it'd be possible here in the US but if anything it has the best chance.
this is probably the most sensible thing i've read in this entire thread

i also find it rather funny how it's obvious who the canadians in this thread are.



what i don't get is why no one busted out a little math here... they're talking about $1 trillion over 10 years for a country of 300 million.

that's $333 more in taxes per year per person over the next decade, or about $28 a month. which is less than a store bought cup of coffee per day...
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #65 (permalink)
Muck Fusic
 
IamAlejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
False. You don't know much about taxes as you claim to think you do but do whatever you want.

Some people like to let them take more off the top so that they get back a refund and there are people like you that rather have more in their paycheck but have to owe the IRS come tax time. There also are things such as tax credits and itemized deductions. I think you need to read up on both.
Lmao. Seeing as how I intern as a tax consultant at a Big 4 firm I'd guess I know a bit more than you. And if you are getting money back you are essentially giving the government an interest free loan, while if you owe slightly you are the one receiving said loan. There's absolutely no reason to want them take out more than you should properly owe. I'll tell you what, you research up some time value of money tables and I'll look up those ooo so strange tax credits and itemized deductions (which by the way have no footing in this discussion).

As to dave, the take the total and divide by population calculation doesn't work at all.
__________________
a man, a plan, a canal, panama
IamAlejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Palm Muted
 
Hesher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i also find it rather funny how it's obvious who the canadians in this thread are.

what i don't get is why no one busted out a little math here... they're talking about $1 trillion over 10 years for a country of 300 million.

that's $333 more in taxes per year per person over the next decade, or about $28 a month. which is less than a store bought cup of coffee per day...
Geez, is it that obvious?



Your math sounds nice to me.
Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #67 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
Health care in my country has gone down the toilet. People that can't afford private care have to wait 1-2 years to get operations because the government won't put proper amounts of money into increasing the quality and quantity of staff in hospitals. The big CEO's sit around with their huge paychecks and don't allocate money how it should be allocated.
That sucks. Healthcare in Australia is really good IMO. I have very low level cover health insurance (because I'm only 21 and poor) and at the beginning of this year I got my tonsils out and it didn't cost me a cent. Very short waiting list also. Then after the surgery there was a complication and I had to go back to hospital for 2 weeks and that didn't cost me a cent either. All I had to pay was $10.40 for some medication to go home with. Lots of doctors here bulk bill and they are just as good as any other private doctor.
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #68 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiseido red View Post
That sucks. Healthcare in Australia is really good IMO. I have very low level cover health insurance (because I'm only 21 and poor) and at the beginning of this year I got my tonsils out and it didn't cost me a cent. Very short waiting list also. Then after the surgery there was a complication and I had to go back to hospital for 2 weeks and that didn't cost me a cent either. All I had to pay was $10.40 for some medication to go home with. Lots of doctors here bulk bill and they are just as good as any other private doctor.
You have health insurance? Lucky. I had to get several letters written to the public dental school to take my wisdom teeth out without a year long waiting list because it cost $600 to get them out rather than $2000+ private. You've really got to have money to look after yourself in this country.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #69 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
You have health insurance? Lucky. I had to get several letters written to the public dental school to take my wisdom teeth out without a year long waiting list because it cost $600 to get them out rather than $2000+ private. You've really got to have money to look after yourself in this country.
That's sucks I got insurance because I wear contact lenses and have to buy new ones every 6 months or so, and also because I knew I'd be having my tonsils out eventually. It only costs me $80 a month... which is cheaper than gym membership. And it's paid off with the amount of medical shit I've had done in the past year! Would have costed me thousands if I didn't have insurance.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:27 AM   #70 (permalink)
Pale and Wan
 
Fruitonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aus
Posts: 915
Default

Not having socialised healthcare just seems to be a very callous system for such a rich country. I agree with Hesher that it's basically just an extension of all the other benefits people pay taxes for.

Although, the timing of implementation is a bit worrying considering how far America is already in debt.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.