Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #531 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

haha well we all know those are evil
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #532 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,184
Default

I'm all for women having the same opportunities as men but there is one thing I am against: different physical standards.

The physical strength and fitness requirements should not be lowered just because women are biologically different. I don't want a woman fire fighter who can't carry someone out of a fire to have the job just because she met the requirements for women. There needs to be a set of requirements held across the board and if that means most women will not be eligible for a certain position than so be it.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #533 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I'm all for women having the same opportunities as men but there is one thing I am against: different physical standards.

The physical strength and fitness requirements should not be lowered just because women are biologically different. I don't want a woman fire fighter who can't carry someone out of a fire to have the job just because she met the requirements for women. There needs to be a set of requirements held across the board and if that means most women will not be eligible for a certain position than so be it.
fully agree with this and would be interested in hearin arguments against it
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:04 PM   #534 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
The physical strength and fitness requirements should not be lowered just because women are biologically different. I don't want a woman fire fighter who can't carry someone out of a fire to have the job just because she met the requirements for women. There needs to be a set of requirements held across the board and if that means most women will not be eligible for a certain position than so be it.
To be fair, there are other things women have to offer that men may not be able to in the same positions. For instance, among firefighters, women are better attuned to the orientation of childrens' cries in a crisis, and are smaller and can thus fit into spaces a man may not in order to complete a rescue.

There are some places where men and women are not comparable, but that doesn't necessarily mean one is unable to contribute something valuable to the same role. That's the entire idea of teamwork; people make up for one anothers' weaknesses with differing strengths and perform the duties best suited to them. The problem is when assumptions are made about strengths which are objectively unfounded.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #535 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

As long as somebody can carry my asphyxiating body out of a burning building, I don't care who's allowed to be a firefighter.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #536 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Eyrie, Vale of Arryn, Westeros
Posts: 2,999
Default

Even this guy?
Sansa Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #537 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
I'm all for women having the same opportunities as men but there is one thing I am against: different physical standards.

The physical strength and fitness requirements should not be lowered just because women are biologically different. I don't want a woman fire fighter who can't carry someone out of a fire to have the job just because she met the requirements for women. There needs to be a set of requirements held across the board and if that means most women will not be eligible for a certain position than so be it.
That reminds me of a story I heard recently where a female firefighter drag a person down the stair who she couldn't carry. I heard the person's head hit every single step on the way down.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:05 PM   #538 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansa stark View Post
even this guy?

POOCH!

o
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #539 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
That reminds me of a story I heard recently where a female firefighter drag a person down the stair who she couldn't carry. I heard the person's head hit every single step on the way down.


I hope the person was unconscious during it!
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #540 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post


Realtalk I appreciate ur long posts here and in the priv thread. I disagree on a lot and will v respond tmrw when I'm not on mobile or maybe tonite if I'm bored enough
What do you disagree with?
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.