Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: can he do it?
yes 23 52.27%
yea 21 47.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2016, 05:30 PM   #4681 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Unless you prove them otherwise?
Sure, but that can be done only on an individual basis. As Frownland pointed out, on a political science level, uneducated is a box you tick, so it has an objective standard of "have you graduated college/university or not", not a subjective standard of "maybe you haven't been to college but you're still educated because of xyz".
__________________
Zhanteimi

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #4682 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
i only went to university to be considered educated
Same here. And I went on to get a Master's because I realized that I actually play the game well and can exploit it. Higher education is a racket.
__________________
Zhanteimi

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #4683 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,402
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordwyr View Post
Sure, but that can be done only on an individual basis. As Frownland pointed out, on a political science level, uneducated is a box you tick, so it has an objective standard of "have you graduated college/university or not", not a subjective standard of "maybe you haven't been to college but you're still educated because of xyz".
So yeah, the debate stemmed from him using educated in a different fashion than I was.
Key is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #4684 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordwyr View Post
Same here. And I went on to get a Master's because I realized that I actually play the game well and can exploit it. Higher education is a racket.
The novelty of my journalism course wore off pretty quickly but I plan to switch to business next year. Hoping that's a little more fruitful.
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 PM   #4685 (permalink)
Mord
 
Zhanteimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 4,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
So yeah, the debate stemmed from him using educated in a different fashion than I was.
Yeah. I just shook my head as I scrolled through and watched you two talk past each other.
__________________
Zhanteimi

LetsTalkMusic
Zhanteimi is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #4686 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,402
Default

Also just noticed he added to a post that caused my confusion. Sorry Frown. I understand your point now.
Key is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #4687 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
I must not be understanding because you guys are speaking literally whereas I am not. You can educate yourself in anything therefore being educated without a degree.
I was kicked out of High School at 16. I spent the next 40 years working my way slowly up the ladder and self teaching myself drafting, designing, and all other facets of our industry, and currently hold the title of Vice President of Operations and Product Development and was taking home a six figure salary prior to the sh1tstorm with my company.

If I were to look for another job I'd have to list myself as uneducated. Of course I can explain my experience but in most cases, if the job required a degree, I'd be **** out of luck even though I could probably smoke 90% of the kids today graduating with a degree.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #4688 (permalink)
OQB
 
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Frownland
Posts: 8,806
Default

why would you ever want to smoke a child? i know we all call you a pervert but that's just taking things too far chula
__________________
Music Blog / RYM / Last.fm / Qwertyy's Journal of Music Reviews and Other Assorted Ramblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'm not even mad. Seriously I'm not. You're a good dude, and I think and hope you'll become something good
Ol’ Qwerty Bastard is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #4689 (permalink)
Toasted Poster
 
Chula Vista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SoCal by way of Boston
Posts: 11,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
why would you ever want to smoke a child? i know we all call you a pervert but that's just taking things too far chula
I have a reputation to uphold and build upon. I though that would've become obvious to ya'll by now.
__________________
General Rules:
• While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, trolling, purposeless inflammatory posts or members deliberately provoking another member into committing any of these acts. - Mods exempt.
Chula Vista is offline  
Old 11-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #4690 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,402
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
I was kicked out of High School at 16. I spent the next 40 years working my way slowly up the ladder and self teaching myself drafting, designing, and all other facets of our industry, and currently hold the title of Vice President of Operations and Product Development and was taking home a six figure salary prior to the sh1tstorm with my company.

If I were to look for another job I'd have to list myself as uneducated. Of course I can explain my experience but in most cases, if the job required a degree, I'd be **** out of luck even though I could probably smoke 90% of the kids today graduating with a degree.
Makes sense in that context I guess. Just seems weird to call some one uneducated based on one trivial thing. I dunno, could just be me.

I just know there are people more educated than a person with a degree. Yet they're still considered uneducated.
Key is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.