Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

DwnWthVwls 01-03-2017 06:30 PM

Goofle is against feminism? I never really got that from him. Pretty sure he supports equal rights for both sexes, but is more interested in men's rights. I think most of the rational people on this forum have bad things to say about the modern feminist movement, but not feminism itself.

elphenor 01-03-2017 06:31 PM

I know youll hate to hear it Goof, but a food stamp carrying white trailer guy will vote to spite himself if it means he can take something from minorities in the process

Ol’ Qwerty Bastard 01-03-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1790841)
Goofle is against feminism? I never really got that from him. Pretty sure he supports equal rights for both sexes, but is more interested in men's rights. I think most of the rational people on this forum have bad things to say about the modern feminist movement, but not feminism itself.

mmmkay, so what was your original point then? i'm not saying you can't change your opinion on someone if you find out they're a KKK member, but that's not the case here so...

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:32 PM

I'm not actually right wing. I'd say more fiscally conservative, to use a regular thrown about term.

It still cracks me up that The Batlord thinks I've actually posted misogynistic things on MB :D And his views were changed about me :laughing: The Batlord.

Frownland 01-03-2017 06:33 PM

Nah trust me you're quite socially conservative as well, unless you don't mean what you say in about half of your posts.

The Batlord 01-03-2017 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1790837)
but Goofle is none of those things and hasn't really said anything to indicate he was. as soon as the guy says he doesn't agree with feminism people assume he's a white nationalist lol

When he first started posting meninist videos I thought he was joking they were so ridiculous. I really didn't think he could possibly agree with what he was posting. Then I realized he did. It's not like he made one post and all of a sudden everyone turned against him. We legit didn't think he was serious.

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1790847)
Nah trust me you're quite socially conservative as well, unless you don't mean what you say in about half of your posts.

I wouldn't say socially conservative. I have ideas on what might be better for a society in the long term but I'm essentially do what you want, just don't steal my fries.

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1790848)
When he first started posting meninist videos I thought he was joking they were so ridiculous. I really didn't think he could possibly agree with what he was posting. Then I realized he did. It's not like he made one post and all of a sudden everyone turned against him. We legit didn't think he was serious.

That's because you have a profound lack of empathy for Men.

DwnWthVwls 01-03-2017 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1790844)
mmmkay, so what was your original point then? i'm not saying you can't change your opinion on someone if you find out they're a KKK member, but that's not the case here so...

They were 2 different points. The first was a general comment about why it's appropriate to judge someone for their political views. The second was about Goofle's misinterpreted(I assume) view of feminism.

Frownland 01-03-2017 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790850)
I wouldn't say socially conservative.

It's okay we gotchu.

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:39 PM

Trump tweeted something today.

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1790854)
It's okay we gotchu.

You will see some of my posts and think "conservative", whereas I would label it an opinion on said issue, without any political underpinning.

Frownland 01-03-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790858)
You will see some of my posts and think "conservative", whereas I would label it an opinion on said issue, without any political underpinning.

So...you don't call your conservative opinions conservative opinions, just opinions. That still makes you socially conservative.

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:47 PM

Are we playing word soup? I guess I am conservative on immigration, so that's score -1 on the good person registry.

Key 01-03-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790858)
You will see some of my posts and think "conservative", whereas I would label it an opinion on said issue, without any political underpinning.

Soooo....conservative.

The Batlord 01-03-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790851)
That's because you have a profound lack of empathy for Men.

No, I just watched the videos you constantly posted and repped and was uncomfortable with the venomous undertones toward women that they showed, even if hatred toward women was not explicit in the words spoken. Your subsequent posts did nothing to make me think that you agreed with the arguments but not the sentiments.

Trollheart 01-03-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwertyy (Post 1790831)
you're entitled to think whatever you want, I just think it's silly to allow your opinion of someone to change based on politics. especially considering this is a music forum, not a forum based on US politics.

also I don't really sink to anyone's level, I like to follow US politics for the entertainment since Canadian politics are so cut and dry with every party being either very slightly to the left or very slightly to the right.



As far as the criticism of Goofle goes, this may seem simple-minded (I am Irish after all) but I feel that really, unless you're living in the US it's a bit odd to be making serious political comments. I mean, I would make the odd note, but if I don't live with what you Americans do on a daily basis, do I have the right to be preaching or at least commentating on American politics? It sort of just feels like shouting into the garden of a guy who lives ten doors down from you that you don't like his hedge or something. Maybe. I don't know. I just always feel awkward commenting on American politics since I'm not American. Maybe it's just me.

Mind you, I should clarify: I don't mean just because you're not American you can't comment, per se, but to kind of act like you know what it's all about just seems a little, I don't know, arrogant?

Goofle 01-03-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1790864)
No, I just watched the videos you constantly posted and repped and was uncomfortable with the venomous undertones toward women that they showed, even if hatred toward women was not explicit in the words spoken. Your subsequent posts did nothing to make me think that you agreed with the arguments but not the sentiments.

So... even in videos that exist to show the struggles of some men, you decided the best course of action was to become uncomfortable with potentially nasty things being said about women. Explain to me where your compassion for Men comes in, because I don't remember you showing any at the time I was posting those vids. Maybe you did, I just don't remember.

@ TH - It's not really an American thing. It's just easier to discuss this stuff through an American lense because America is to noteworthy.

elphenor 01-03-2017 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790850)
but I'm essentially do what you want, just don't steal my fries.

Very half baked philosophy

Do you think you shouldn't have to pay for the gov services that you use

Frownland 01-03-2017 07:02 PM

Who gives a **** about compassion? That's some pinko feelings over facts business there, Goof.

Goofle 01-03-2017 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1790872)
Very half baked philosophy

Do you think you shouldn't have to pay for the gov services that you use

That quote was in the context of my social views, which are pretty much right down the middle.

Goofle 01-03-2017 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1790874)
Who gives a **** about compassion? That's some pinko feelings over facts business there, Goof.

Actually the facts back up most men's rights issues. But it usually takes a feelings over facts argument to convince people to care.

Anyway, I only came in to annoy somebody with that "immoral leftist" line. Guess it worked and bad mod etc. now let's get back to shitting on Trump before this thread is any more derailed.

Frownland 01-03-2017 07:06 PM

I mean there's also facts behind pretty much anything you can throw that lame trope at. Still, saying "where is your compassion?" just makes you sound like a whiny soccer mom. Just sayin.

The Batlord 01-03-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790870)
So... even in videos that exist to show the struggles of some men, you decided the best course of action was to become uncomfortable with potentially nasty things being said about women. Explain to me where your compassion for Men comes in, because I don't remember you showing any at the time I was posting those vids. Maybe you did, I just don't remember.

@ TH - It's not really an American thing. It's just easier to discuss this stuff through an American lense because America is to noteworthy.

I mean, I think the way that divorce works in favor of women over men is nonsense, and generic sitcom storylines about how men constantly **** up and women have to put up with us are stupid, especially in how it reflects society's views towards male/female relations, but there's not a whole lot of ways that men get the shaft in society. There are goofy feminist statistics about job ****, but we have it pretty ****ing good.

DwnWthVwls 01-03-2017 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790870)
So... even in videos that exist to show the struggles of some men, you decided the best course of action was to become uncomfortable with potentially nasty things being said about women.

It's understandable. It's not their fault. The problem with that crap and modern feminism is the completely misguided finger-pointing. Feminists didn't get together and decide that it will be a societal standard for women to get half of all your **** when you divorce. They also didn't decide that they would have primary custody of your children. If anything I'd probably argue those things were pushed on them by the patriarchy.

The Batlord 01-03-2017 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1790882)
It's understandable. It's not their fault. The problem with that crap and modern feminism is the completely misguided finger-pointing. Feminists didn't get together and decide that it will be a societal standard for women to get half of all your **** when you divorce. They also didn't decide that they would have primary custody of your children. If anything I'd probably argue those things were pushed on them by the patriarchy.

Def. Women aren't given primary custody because of feminism. They're given primary custody cause men think women are the more caring parents.

Chula Vista 01-03-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790801)
Of course a large portion of the 50% who live off of the other 50% are almost guaranteed to vote for immoral leftist policies.

Let's get back to this basic statement. It is so socially abhorrent as to render Goofle a jerk, plain and simple.

Hey buddy, my soon to be 28 year old son suffers from a mental disorder. In the last 10 years he's tried his ass off but hasn't been able to hold down a single job for longer than 3 months. He hates being a failure but can't fix it. I've totally accepted the fact that I'll wake some day to find out he's killed himself.

He gets $200 bucks a month from the government for his disability in order to try and keep him off the streets. That's less than $6 bucks a day.

Now let's talk about the billionaires like Trump who pay nothing in taxes because of having the clout to fully exploit tax loopholes designed for the rich.

Get a ****ing clue Goof.

Cuthbert 01-03-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chula Vista (Post 1790887)
Let's get back to this basic statement. It is so socially abhorrent as to render Goofle a jerk, plain and simple.

Hey buddy, my soon to be 28 year old son suffers from a mental disorder. In the last 10 years he's tried his ass off but hasn't been able to hold down a single job for longer than 3 months. He hates being a failure but can't fix it. I've totally accepted the fact that I'll wake some day to find out he's killed himself.

He gets $200 bucks a month from the government for his disability in order to try and keep him off the streets. That's less than $6 bucks a day.

Now let's talk about the billionaires like Trump who pay nothing in taxes because of having the clout to fully exploit tax loopholes designed for the rich.

Get a ****ing clue Goof.

Not that you were looking for sympathy but I'm genuinely sorry to hear that.

Trollheart 01-03-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1790878)
I mean, I think the way that divorce works in favor of women over men is nonsense, and generic sitcom storylines about how men constantly **** up and women have to put up with us are stupid, especially in how it reflects society's views towards male/female relations, but there's not a whole lot of ways that men get the shaft in society. There are goofy feminist statistics about job ****, but we have it pretty ****ing good.

Unless they're gay. :laughing:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Man like Monkey (Post 1790897)
Not that you were looking for sympathy but I'm genuinely sorry to hear that.

Me too. One thing you can take pride in, Chula, is that you have nothing to reproach yourself for if it happens (hope of course it doesn't): from what you have said here, and what I know of you, you've been an excellent father and Linda has been a fantastic mother. Just thought you should know that.

elphenor 01-03-2017 09:49 PM

I just don't want to hear anymore of the American "why does the gov take so much of my money" whiny bitch syndrome

This is at least half of Republican voters I think

It's like getting nice and full at a restaurant and then being all outraged when the waiter drops the bill

All the services that got you well off cost our money

djchameleon 01-04-2017 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1790793)
Trump has nothing to worry about, he just has to take the blame, and I don't think he gives a fuck about personal criticism. Just another scapegoat.

He does give a **** about personal criticism. Have you ever seen his Twitter? I don't think you have. He can't even take a parody skit from SNL without getting massively butthurt and tweeting about it. He tried to sue Bill Maher for saying he had tiny hands. Come on now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1790841)
Goofle is against feminism? I never really got that from him. Pretty sure he supports equal rights for both sexes, but is more interested in men's rights. I think most of the rational people on this forum have bad things to say about the modern feminist movement, but not feminism itself.

You don't know Goofle's views on feminism. He takes the fringe views of modern feminism and paints the entire group with a single brush. He doesn't separate the reasonable feminists from the extremists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1790842)
I know youll hate to hear it Goof, but a food stamp carrying white trailer guy will vote to spite himself if it means he can take something from minorities in the process

:clap: They vote against their own self interest just to stop another group when it will ultimately hurt them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1790848)
When he first started posting meninist videos I thought he was joking they were so ridiculous. I really didn't think he could possibly agree with what he was posting. Then I realized he did. It's not like he made one post and all of a sudden everyone turned against him. We legit didn't think he was serious.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1790853)
They were 2 different points. The first was a general comment about why it's appropriate to judge someone for their political views. The second was about Goofle's misinterpreted(I assume) view of feminism.

You assume wrong sir.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goofle (Post 1790876)
Actually the facts back up most men's rights issues. But it usually takes a feelings over facts argument to convince people to care.

Anyway, I only came in to annoy somebody with that "immoral leftist" line. Guess it worked and bad mod etc. now let's get back to shitting on Trump before this thread is any more derailed.

This is my thread and I will let it ride even if you are being sarcastic. It is more of an open thread for discussion. It isn't currently being derailed imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1790884)
Def. Women aren't given primary custody because of feminism. They're given primary custody cause men think women are the more caring parents.

Primary custody is given to the more responsible parent. If a man or woman isn't in the position to take care of their offspring responsibly then they won't get custody. The fact that it leans more to woman than man just shows that those specific men suck ass and need not be anywhere near their children.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elphenor (Post 1790960)
I just don't want to hear anymore of the American "why does the gov take so much of my money" whiny bitch syndrome

This is at least half of Republican voters I think

It's like getting nice and full at a restaurant and then being all outraged when the waiter drops the bill

All the services that got you well off cost our money

I was coming in the post something similar. Republicans scream about wanting small government while taking full advantage of all the current services that help them but not wanting to contribute to the system. They also love all the corporate welfare but god forbid someone poor actually needs slight assistance they are the devil and their funding needs to be cutoff and discontinued for being lazy slobs sucking off the system.

Frownland 01-04-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1791030)
Primary custody is given to the more responsible parent. If a man or woman isn't in the position to take care of their offspring responsibly then they won't get custody. The fact that it leans more to woman than man just shows that those specific men suck ass and need not be anywhere near their children.

That is the ideal and I really hope that those cases make up more of the statistics than I realize but there are a LOT of women who get the child over men simply because they are a woman. It's an inherent bias thing. Example: my friend's sister has custody of her kid despite being an unemployed tweaker while the boy's father has been clean for twenty years and has no criminal history. They've been fighting for the kid for years now.

Science!

DwnWthVwls 01-04-2017 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1791032)
That is the ideal and I really hope that those cases make up more of the statistics than I realize but there are a LOT of women who get the child over men simply because they are a woman. It's an inherent bias thing. Example: my friend's sister has custody of her kid despite being an unemployed tweaker while the boy's father has been clean for twenty years and has no criminal history. They've been fighting for the kid for years now.

Science!

Yeh, this is a pretty standard anecdote.. I'd be interesting in seeing some stats as well, but I don't care enough to look it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1791030)
He tried to sue Bill Maher for saying he had tiny hands. Come on now!

The fucking idiot worships money. Ofc he'll sue to get some if he can.

As for the Goofle stuff, Idk, I haven't been active for those discussions. I was just commenting on my own interactions and what I've personally read by him.

DwnWthVwls 01-04-2017 03:03 AM

.

djchameleon 01-04-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1791032)
That is the ideal and I really hope that those cases make up more of the statistics than I realize but there are a LOT of women who get the child over men simply because they are a woman. It's an inherent bias thing. Example: my friend's sister has custody of her kid despite being an unemployed tweaker while the boy's father has been clean for twenty years and has no criminal history. They've been fighting for the kid for years now.

Science!

I guess it depends on the state but if that were to happen in NY state there is no way that she would have been able to have custody of the kid. I think I heard something about different states favoring women over men more and vice versa. So it's not a clean cut and dry issue. If I have some free time later I will look up some stats state by state to see if what I'm saying is true. I feel like it is though but just like your example it's purely based off of an anecdote for now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls (Post 1791042)



The fucking idiot worships money. Ofc he'll sue to get some if he can.

I get that but doesn't explain him being a crybaby all the time about SNL or even his twitter spat with Rose O Donnell. He cares way too much imo.

Anteater 01-04-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1791062)
I get that but doesn't explain him being a crybaby all the time about SNL or even his twitter spat with Rose O Donnell. He cares way too much imo.

No, people just pay way too much attention to what he tweets and the negative feedback he receives only continues to validate him. Troll tactics 101. Hence he controls the conversation and ends up getting everyone's attention time and time again. The media (and to a lesser extent, most of you) continue to get played by him and you don't even realize that this is a major factor in how he won in the first place. As the meme goes, "Trump is playing 4D chess on a 2D board". In a weird way, its actually pretty brilliant: other countries who normally hold the upper hand against us are now scrambling to figure out how to deal with the United States because Trump's tweeting strategy has changed the power dynamic so much.

djchameleon 01-04-2017 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1791077)
No, people just pay way too much attention to what he tweets and the negative feedback he receives only continues to validate him. Troll tactics 101. Hence he controls the conversation and ends up getting everyone's attention time and time again. The media (and to a lesser extent, most of you) continue to get played by him and you don't even realize that this is a major factor in how he won in the first place. As the meme goes, "Trump is playing 4D chess on a 2D board".

Ah you are one of "those", that thinks he's way smarter than he's letting on. My main point which was a rebuttal of DWV's point is that he does care based off of how he responds to petty little things that happen. We weren't talking about him wanting publicity whether it is good or bad.

Anteater 01-04-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1791079)
Ah you are one of "those", that thinks he's way smarter than he's letting on. My main point which was a rebuttal of DWV's point is that he does care based off of how he responds to petty little things that happen. We weren't talking about him wanting publicity whether it is good or bad.

He's definitely smarter than he's letting on, to the point where it's actually rather difficult to tell sometimes what he truly believes outside of general sentiments of wanting to bring jobs back to the U.S. and dealing with the trade deficit (which he has been talking about since the 80's). He gave interviews throughout the 80's and early 90's that demonstrated his intelligence, so even having a discussion about whether or not he's smart doesn't really make sense because anyone who has watched an interview with him when he was younger knows he's smart.

Trump responds to petty stuff because he finds it entertaining to do so. He enjoys the attention, plus his personal brand is intertwined with his aggressive nature, so he just rolls with it because he knows it'll make headlines. In that sense, I guess he does care...at least for a second or two.

Sometimes when I see Trump related news or the various hit pieces, I feel like I'm watching a politically oriented second season of the anime The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. That was a series where nobody could figure out if the main character was a complete idiot or a genius with incredibly sharp underlying instincts: the evidence leaned towards the latter, but you could make a case for each. Either way, he was surrounded by opposition and even his own bosses periodically tried to undermine him to no avail. :rofl:

Frownland 01-04-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1791079)
Ah you are one of "those", that thinks he's way smarter than he's letting on. My main point which was a rebuttal of DWV's point is that he does care based off of how he responds to petty little things that happen. We weren't talking about him wanting publicity whether it is good or bad.

I don't think that he's politically intelligent like the job requires, but the man is a marketing legend and that's really undeniable.

Frownland 01-04-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1791086)
He's definitely smarter than he's letting on, to the point where it's actually rather difficult to tell sometimes what he truly believes outside of general sentiments of wanting to bring jobs back to the U.S. and dealing with the trade deficit (which he has been talking about since the 80's). He gave interviews throughout the 80's and early 90's that demonstrated his intelligence, so even having a discussion about whether or not he's smart doesn't really make sense because anyone who has watched an interview with him when he was younger knows he's smart.

To be fair, that was 30 years ago and he does seem to be knocked down a peg in his old age. His rallies really do make him sound senile too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:55 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.