Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   What Did President Trump Do Now? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/87986-what-did-president-trump-do-now.html)

Cuthbert 01-29-2017 09:14 AM

How has he banned freedom of religion?

djchameleon 01-29-2017 09:16 AM

He hasn't. The travel bans are basically religious tests. When you ban people from coming in from Muslim majority countries that infringes on freedom of religion especially the people that already went through the proper channels to get US Visas.

Lisnaholic 01-29-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1800781)
What I bolded there is honestly a lot more creepy than Trump, but we've lived with it for decades.

Hi Anteater! Good to see you posting again after a long absence!

Yes, hidden deceptions are very worrying, of course, but they do indicate that politicians feel there's some accountability to the public. There's a limit to what they can get away with, hence the need to hide things.

Some of Trump's announcements remind me of things from Soviet era totalitarianism - that there is no need for the official version to reflect the facts, that factual debate is irrelevant.

Anteater 01-29-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 1800793)
Hi Anteater! Good to see you posting again after a long absence!

Yes, hidden deceptions are very worrying, of course, but they do indicate that politicians feel there's some accountability to the public. There's a limit to what they can get away with, hence the need to hide things.

Some of Trump's announcements remind me of things from Soviet era totalitarianism - that there is no need for the official version to reflect the facts, that factual debate is irrelevant.

Good to see you too! Hope you've been well.

Trump is a typical populist strongman, for better or for worse depending on a multitude of POVs. He acts the way he does because he has no political experience though, as opposed to having an agenda based on hatred. He's going to be an interesting case study four years from now, especially if he decides not to run for re-election.

On another note, seeing CNN and similar news outlets post an upside down statue of liberty was pretty over the top, so I thought I'd share this for something resembling a more balanced perspective on what's happening.

The National Review - Donald Trump's "Muslim Ban" - Seperating Fact From Hysteria

Cuthbert 01-29-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1800784)
He hasn't. The travel bans are basically religious tests. When you ban people from coming in from Muslim majority countries that infringes on freedom of religion especially the people that already went through the proper channels to get US Visas.

Why does it? Would it apply if he banned people from Italy?

Trollheart 01-29-2017 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisnaholic (Post 1800793)
Hi Anteater! Good to see you posting again after a long absence!

Yes, hidden deceptions are very worrying, of course, but they do indicate that politicians feel there's some accountability to the public. There's a limit to what they can get away with, hence the need to hide things.

Some of Trump's announcements remind me of things from Soviet era totalitarianism - that there is no need for the official version to reflect the facts, that factual debate is irrelevant.

Two and two are four. And if the Party should say two and two are five, what then?
:shycouch:

Janszoon 01-29-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1800796)
Good to see you too! Hope you've been well.

Trump is a typical populist strongman, for better or for worse depending on a multitude of POVs. He acts the way he does because he has no political experience though, as opposed to having an agenda based on hatred. He's going to be an interesting case study four years from now, especially if he decides not to run for re-election.

On another note, seeing CNN and similar news outlets post an upside down statue of liberty was pretty over the top, so I thought I'd share this for something resembling a more balanced perspective on what's happening.

The National Review - Donald Trump's "Muslim Ban" - Seperating Fact From Hysteria

Balance from the National Review. Hilarious.

Anteater 01-29-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 1800802)
Balance from the National Review. Hilarious.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. If even NPR can't be bothered to have more than a five second attention span when they discuss breaking news, then that needs to be balanced out with articles like that one that contextualizes what's happening over a broader span of time and several presidencies.

Frownland 01-29-2017 10:48 AM

What qualifies as contextualization seems to depend on the confirmation bias of whoever is reading.

Psy-Fi 01-29-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteater (Post 1800691)
Chula, aren't you a Bill Maher fan?


:laughing:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 PM.


© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.