Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default Is Time An Illusion?

I mean, it exists, but does it really? Is time not just a convention dreamed up by humans by which to measure our existence? If every single person in the world agreed not to recognise time from tomorrow, what would it mean to us? Sure, we'd age anyway but we'd just realise at some point we were getting slower and less able to do the things we used to do. There would be no concept of late or early, being just in time or having schedules or anything. Obviously it would be impossible, but just for the sake of spitballing, would you agree that time is just our own invention? Or not?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,723
Default

It’s entropy.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,997
Default

I don't know if it's an illusion, but time is on my side. Yes it is.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oh You Guyghurs
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,138
Default

It's not an illusion, but it is arbitrary.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 35,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't know if it's an illusion, but time is on my side. Yes it is.
In a century when you are dust I shall wake and call Lucy, my queen!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I don't know if it's an illusion, but time is on my side. Yes it is.
Yeah well God may also be an illusion, but He's on my side.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
2 MA1NSTR3AM 4 U
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,303
Default

I'm not sure how scientifically solid this is, but in a way, maybe time doesn't exist as much as it's just a way for us to understand the world around us. There is really only movement. Even clocks measure time by moving. When the big arm is here instead of there, we call that an our. The clock arm has to move a certain speed over a certain distance, of course, then it's one hour.
Particles move. The only reason time seems to exist is that the causal chain of all that movement of particles and energy rays goes in one direction. A ball that rolls into a still standing ball, causes that ball to move. It can't happen the other way around, so that's the causal chain, and so time is really just what we call forward movement of atoms and ****. Or maybe that's all B.S. But as far as I know, time doesn't, as such, "exist". It is purely conceptual, unlike matter and movement.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,747
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I'm not sure how scientifically solid this is, but in a way, maybe time doesn't exist as much as it's just a way for us to understand the world around us. There is really only movement. Even clocks measure time by moving. When the big arm is here instead of there, we call that an our. The clock arm has to move a certain speed over a certain distance, of course, then it's one hour.
Particles move. The only reason time seems to exist is that the causal chain of all that movement of particles and energy rays goes in one direction. A ball that rolls into a still standing ball, causes that ball to move. It can't happen the other way around, so that's the causal chain, and so time is really just what we call forward movement of atoms and ****. Or maybe that's all B.S. But as far as I know, time doesn't, as such, "exist". It is purely conceptual, unlike matter and movement.
So you're saying I don't need a new muffler?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
2 MA1NSTR3AM 4 U
 
MicShazam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
So you're saying I don't need a new muffler?
Just because time doesn't exists it doesn't mean it isn't going to wreck your ****.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,723
Default

Back to entropy.
__________________
2017 & 2018 Member of the Year Back2Back

experimental music on Spotify worth checking out

FREAK FIGHTER JOURNAL (Awarded 2018 Journal of the Year)

free jazz 2018 thread

Drone/Ambient Releases of 2018

OccultHawk Reviews Southern States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
There's probably some reasonable middle ground between Leave It to Beaver and being forced to suck your step-father's dick in the basement after your mom goes to work.
OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.