Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #131 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
Uhhh... That is my point

If you can potentially motivate everyone to score higher than they do, that changes nothing since the scores are based on what the average score is.
It does because of the point I made several times already. Some people are just more motivated to score higher on average and that's why it's a good indicator of who will do better in school and in the job force because typically they'd be more motivated to 'do well' in general. I didn't say means absolutely nothing when measuring intelligence, but not nearly as much because the sole idea that some people score higher on average because they are more motivated on average shows how inaccurate it is.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #132 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

You're still assuming that you can motivate low scoring (stupid) people more with money than you can high scoring people.

Otherwise, if you're not assuming that, the motivation argument means NOTHING. At this point, if you're too stupid to understand this then I'm too unmotivated to continue to explain it again and again.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #133 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,108
Default

no what he means is some people may be more intrinsically motivated than others
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #134 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

I'm not sure why you would think I don't know that?

Because they are intrinsically more motivated, are they less susceptible to external forms of motivation like bribing?
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #135 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
You're still assuming that you can motivate low scoring (stupid) people more with money than you can high scoring people.
I never said that. Ever. That's where you're straw manning me. And low IQ can actually be trained to have an average IQ.

Quote:
Otherwise, if you're not assuming that, the motivation argument means NOTHING. At this point, if you're too stupid to understand this then I'm too unmotivated to continue to explain it again and again.
No, it doesn't mean nothing because motivation isn't an 'is' or 'isn't' thing, it's a sliding scale. The fact that you can't understand the fact that some people are on average more motivated to do well on IQ tests than others and how that can be a huge factor in the inaccuracies of IQ tests and have to result to straw manning my position and now poisoning the well with an ad hominem that I'm just 'too stupid to understand' doesn't make you right.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM   #136 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I'm not sure why you would think I don't know that?

Because they are intrinsically more motivated, are they less susceptible to external forms of motivation like bribing?
I've already addressed this, quit doing everything you can to stagnate the conversation and move it forward.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:13 PM   #137 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I never said that. Ever. That's where you're straw manning me. And low IQ can actually be trained to have an average IQ.
listen... I'm being serious... If I'm going to continue to respond to you I want you to think about this seriously, cause this is getting tiresome.

You didn't say explicitly that low IQ people are more suceptable to bribe type motivation than high IQ people. This assumption is just inherent in your argument.

If they are equally suceptable to bribes, then everyone's performance would improve if bribes were given across the board.

Since IQ is based on the average score, everyone's performance would go up but the scores would stay the same.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #138 (permalink)
Willowy Elven Boy
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Joe Meek's Ghost
Posts: 14,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
I'm not sure why you would think I don't know that?

Because they are intrinsically more motivated, are they less susceptible to external forms of motivation like bribing?
you would expect a diminishing return when the premise is some people are trying damn near their best to begin with
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

Quote:
Are beehives and ant colonies unnatural? Cause they cooperate on a level we could hardly dream of.
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #139 (permalink)
jwb
I have an Army of Jews
 
jwb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 3,903
Default

Fair enough.

Wouldn't pretty much anyone taking the SATs "try their best"?
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #140 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwb View Post
listen... I'm being serious... If I'm going to continue to respond to you I want you to think about this seriously, cause this is getting tiresome.

You didn't say explicitly that low IQ people are more suceptable to bribe type motivation than high IQ people. This assumption is just inherent in your
argument.
No, it actually isn't. That's just the conclusion you pulled.

Quote:
If they are equally suceptable to bribes, then everyone's performance would improve if bribes were given across the board.
No, because not everybody is susceptible to the same reward which is the basis of my argument. That doesn't mean low IQ people are more susceptible to bribes than high IQ people. It means that it will have varying effects on how much it motivates people to score higher regardless of the previous IQ scores.

Quote:
Since IQ is based on the average score, everyone's performance would go up but the scores would stay the same.
I'm confused on what you mean by this and why you come to that conclusion.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.