Do you still buy physical albums? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Games, Lists, Jokes and Polls
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: How many of your albums are tangible?
None, I download everything. 22 13.75%
A few but mostly I just download 62 38.75%
Its about 50/50 26 16.25%
Most of them but I still download a few. 25 15.63%
I buy all of my albums in hardcopy. 25 15.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
I want to support them. I want them to make more music.
This argument only really works when the artist/album is not available for purchase online in a digital format. More and more music is and now you can also support artists by paying for services like Spotify. Supporting artists no longer equals buying CDs. It's a dying medium which of course is something the record companies are aware of.

Lateralus, I get your argument about using CDs in the car. An alternative is of course to have a digital library, then just burn the albums you want to listen to while driving to CDs. All computers sold today have burners anyways.

I see the attraction in CDs because I feel it myself. It's when I compare the pros and cons that I think CDs are net worse. When I buy a CD, the first thing I do is rip it. Then I usually don't use it anymore - it's archived and the only joy I get from it is knowing I own it and looking at it now and then. It's good, but is it good enough reason to support the continuation of the whole CD printing and selling industry? I don't think so. To keep from cluttering my life with things I don't have a use for, I've adopted the philosophy that if I own something which I don't use somewhere between 6 months and a year, it's likely something I don't need that can usually be safely sold or thrown away. This goes for all my CDs.

So .. think about the amount of plastic bags you go through during a year. Think about the CO2 emissions from your car. Think of all the CDs you buy whose value by far can mostly be digitized.
__________________
Something Completely Different
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #22 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,018
Default

I get that point of view Tore but i would hate for all of my music to be in digital form, whether it was legally paid for or not. Having a digital library is fine, i like it, but i want the physical one more. I want the disc, the case, the artwork and the booklet.
__________________

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I get that point of view Tore but i would hate for all of my music to be in digital form, whether it was legally paid for or not. Having a digital library is fine, i like it, but i want the physical one more. I want the disc, the case, the artwork and the booklet.
My bitch about CD's is that they degrade over time. While my computer will too, I can transfer things to new computers and still have it.

CD's, which I am unbelievely anal about people not touching the shiney sides of, still scratch, skip, and fail. It drives me crazy that a CD I've had for 8 years finally dies, and I have to buy it again for an extra $9 because its no longer a "new release."
__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
"Hermione-Lite"
 
Arya Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York.
Posts: 3,084
Default

I enjoy having the physical album.
I'll download the album if I don't know them well or something like that, or if it's just a recommendation.
If it's an album I like or really want to hear, I'll buy it, I won't even consider downloading it.
I love the excitement of opening the packaging, and getting ready to hear an album you've been waiting for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
I'm down with Jesus, in that case.


MB Journal.
Azucar y Especia. My blog.
Arya Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
blerg
 
Shake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 137
Default

I work at a music store, and I have a sever cap on my monthly bandwidth, so I end up buying most of my albums (I get cd's for about $3 a piece, give or take) Also, I really enjoy vinyl, so if it's available and I really like the album I buy it on vinyl.

I will download an album if I've never heard the band before so that I can give it a chance before I spend money on it, but if I really like it, I end up buying it.

So I voted buy mostly with the occasional download.
__________________
Bloodtrocuted
Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
thirsty ears
 
noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder
Posts: 742
Default

i think if i had access to a constant stream of good cds, or even to the rummage sales like mojopinuk mentioned, i would be much more inclined to actually buy CDs. but i can't even remember the last time i was in a shop with CDs in it...

i suppose the fact that i have a 30 megabit internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and several terabytes of hard drive space also contributes to my tendency to download rather than buy. i can fetch a full album in under 30 seconds. hence my 150gb collection...
__________________
my flac collection
noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
i think if i had access to a constant stream of good cds, or even to the rummage sales like mojopinuk mentioned, i would be much more inclined to actually buy CDs. but i can't even remember the last time i was in a shop with CDs in it...

i suppose the fact that i have a 30 megabit internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and several terabytes of hard drive space also contributes to my tendency to download rather than buy. i can fetch a full album in under 30 seconds. hence my 150gb collection...
i love it when someone scans my music collection on my computer. it is such an ego stroke...

but i gotta play it cool
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
i think if i had access to a constant stream of good cds, or even to the rummage sales like mojopinuk mentioned, i would be much more inclined to actually buy CDs. but i can't even remember the last time i was in a shop with CDs in it...

i suppose the fact that i have a 30 megabit internet connection with unlimited bandwidth and several terabytes of hard drive space also contributes to my tendency to download rather than buy. i can fetch a full album in under 30 seconds. hence my 150gb collection...
I hate to be off topic this bad, but I just wanted to comment to the fact that you actually referred to your internet connection transfer rate correctly.
It's joyful to me, as an IT guy.
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
abdullah424's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
The value of owning it has a few importance's for me.

- I don't get to go to many shows at all, and so I use that as my way to support the artists I like.
- Buying something makes me much more inclined to give it multiple listens. I used to do the whole e-collection thing, DL'ing 10 albums a day on demonoid, and trying to listen to everything. Then I realized I wasn't even listening to some of it, and even the stuff I enjoyed would only get one play. It got boring. I basically just find myself caring a lot more, and looking around at reviews online as I listen to it, to see what others think.
- I also really enjoy the experience of looking through every booklet while ripping the disc to flac on my machine.
I honestly can't remember the last time I bought an album but I typically go to on average 3 or 4 shows a month so I feel that I'm supporting the artists I like.

I love listening to new music and checking out artists I've never heard before so I think my downloading their albums before I buy a ticket is a fair trade.

I also was one of those people that hated my cd collection when I had it because of the amount of space the cases take up, and before that I was one of those people that hated my cassette collection because of the amount of space it took up. I love the fact that everything I want to listen to can fit on my external hard drive and my ipod which take up a combined space of less than one square ft.
abdullah424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
thirsty ears
 
noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
i love it when someone scans my music collection on my computer. it is such an ego stroke...

but i gotta play it cool
not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. but hey - i'm proud of my collection! you should see how meticulously tagged it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
I hate to be off topic this bad, but I just wanted to comment to the fact that you actually referred to your internet connection transfer rate correctly.
It's joyful to me, as an IT guy.
yeah i'm a geek too
__________________
my flac collection
noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.