Do you still buy physical albums? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Games, Lists, Jokes and Polls
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: How many of your albums are tangible?
None, I download everything. 22 13.75%
A few but mostly I just download 62 38.75%
Its about 50/50 26 16.25%
Most of them but I still download a few. 25 15.63%
I buy all of my albums in hardcopy. 25 15.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,546
Default Do you still buy physical albums?

Albums as the Art Form, so tapes, vinyl, cd's, whatever. Do you still buy them at brick-and-mortar stores or is it all downloads at this point?

Feel free to state why.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Also, the bone flute came from cave bears.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,299
Default

Oh definitely and if anything I have bought more C.D's the past couple of years than over the past ten years. I don't think I could call myself a music fan if I just sat there all day downloading anything and everything. Wait a minute....
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
gun whales
 
gunnels's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Knoxville/Nashville, TN, USA, NA, E, S, LC, MW, Known Universe
Posts: 1,702
Default

I download most of my music, but I wish I owned most of it on a hard copy. I find it much more rewarding to actually be able to hold your music in your hand.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequoioideae View Post
Fuck your hashtags, they have no power in this realm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FETCHER. View Post
I'm awfully sorry I'm not as good at writing pretentious posts as you are.
Let's Play TF2 Sometime.|Unrepresentative Last.fm.|Puns, Pokemon, and Miscellany
gunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
one big soul
 
Alfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,071
Default

I download almost all of my music. The cream of the crop are the ones that I actually buy.
__________________
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Same as the others really. I download whenever I feel like but if I'm sure I'll like and album then I'll buy it.
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i prefer buying albums but it all depends on availability. like Jack White sang in Store Bought Bones - you can't buy what you can't find.

even though one of the first things i do with new albums is to rip them to my pc i still like having the physical copy. especially when there's worthwhile packaging, liner notes that offer insight into the artist and their compositions, photos, posters, stickers, patches, etc.

while i used to defend downloading based on the idea that limited availability justified the piracy i've changed my views on the matter. sites like youtube, myspace, and lastfm make it incredibly simple to sample music legitimately. if it's something i'm going to want to listen to more than a handful of times then it's worth my eventual dollar, and if not then i don't need the mp3 as some kind of e-music collection competition.

although in one of my most bone headed moves of the last decade i tossed about 300 cd cases and booklets because i was moving and didn't know what to do with them. horrible horrible mistake.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnels View Post
I download most of my music, but I wish I owned most of it on a hard copy. I find it much more rewarding to actually be able to hold your music in your hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Oh definitely and if anything I have bought more C.D's the past couple of years than over the past ten years. I don't think I could call myself a music fan if I just sat there all day downloading anything and everything. Wait a minute....
To both of you: what would you say is the value in having the music; As gunnels says to "hold the music in your hand."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I download almost all of my music. The cream of the crop are the ones that I actually buy.
I think i generally find myself in this camp, but I also still pay for my downloads and I think its just generally cheaper to use iTunes than go to a Newbury Comics or a Best Buy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Also, the bone flute came from cave bears.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post

although in one of my most bone headed moves of the last decade i tossed about 300 cd cases and booklets because i was moving and didn't know what to do with them. horrible horrible mistake.
Umm... are you my dad? He packed pretty much all of his CDs into huge booklets and threw away the cases (though kept the liner notes) and now both him and I regret it
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
Umm... are you my dad? He packed pretty much all of his CDs into huge booklets and threw away the cases (though kept the liner notes) and now both him and I regret it
well it was 2003 but, no. and well. no. there are no mini daves running around out there.

at least he kept the liner notes
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Dieselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 608
Default

I buy albums all the time, both used and new releases. I probably buy slightly more than DL these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
To both of you: what would you say is the value in having the music; As gunnels says to "hold the music in your hand."
The value of owning it has a few importance's for me.

- I don't get to go to many shows at all, and so I use that as my way to support the artists I like.
- Buying something makes me much more inclined to give it multiple listens. I used to do the whole e-collection thing, DL'ing 10 albums a day on demonoid, and trying to listen to everything. Then I realized I wasn't even listening to some of it, and even the stuff I enjoyed would only get one play. It got boring. I basically just find myself caring a lot more, and looking around at reviews online as I listen to it, to see what others think.
- I also really enjoy the experience of looking through every booklet while ripping the disc to flac on my machine.
Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.