Do you still buy physical albums? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Games, Lists, Jokes and Polls
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: How many of your albums are tangible?
None, I download everything. 22 13.75%
A few but mostly I just download 62 38.75%
Its about 50/50 26 16.25%
Most of them but I still download a few. 25 15.63%
I buy all of my albums in hardcopy. 25 15.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,018
Default

Over the last year or two i have to admit that i have bought very, very little but because i don't really have the money. I have bought though and been to partial to the odd bargain hunt.

Overall though i like buying music. I much prefer to have the CD or the record and i wouldn't buy anywhere near as many records if i didnt download. Once i find myself a proper job again i'll be buying lots of music again like i used to.
__________________

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
dontcareaboutyou
 
swim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,188
Default

I buy music at shows because I support bands not record stores that hike up the prices to unreasonable.
__________________
http://nakednaps.bandcamp.com/
swim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,762
Default

i am in the "buy a few" group as well. it is strictly because of money, however. back in high school i would save all my lunch money and scavenge food off my friends so that i could buy no less than 2 albums every weekend. then i still had my allowance to go out as well. it was the perfect setup...it felt awesome to build up a collection and i since i spent money on them, i really really studied all the albums. the two albums i bought over the weekend would be played over and over throughout the week since i would only bring those two (maybe a couple others) to school. i miss those days.

now, i have no money. i like rare things that are hard to find around here. so i download. it may cheapen some albums that may otherwise get a really good listen out of me, but i just have to deal with it unfortunately. once i get a decent paying job i plan on going back to buying everything. i consider this a phase.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 11,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
I buy music at shows because I support bands not record stores that hike up the prices to unreasonable.
Do you think the music you're listening to lends itself to that (no judgment passed)? And would you say that more genres should employ an ethic like that (insert judgment here)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
i am in the "buy a few" group as well. it is strictly because of money, however. back in high school i would save all my lunch money and scavenge food off my friends so that i could buy no less than 2 albums every weekend. then i still had my allowance to go out as well. it was the perfect setup...it felt awesome to build up a collection and i since i spent money on them, i really really studied all the albums. the two albums i bought over the weekend would be played over and over throughout the week since i would only bring those two (maybe a couple others) to school. i miss those days.

now, i have no money. i like rare things that are hard to find around here. so i download. it may cheapen some albums that may otherwise get a really good listen out of me, but i just have to deal with it unfortunately. once i get a decent paying job i plan on going back to buying everything. i consider this a phase.
Be careful with that. You get a full-time job and its gunna eat your soul.

Off-topic: Move east. You can have my job.
__________________
I've moved to a new address
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #15 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post

Be careful with that. You get a full-time job and its gunna eat your soul.

Off-topic: Move east. You can have my job.
no worries...i actually enjoy the work i will be getting into. i'm starting up grad school soon so it is a few more years away...but i'll mostly be working in a lab. i did that already right out of school and it was nothing but me messing with chemicals (which i enjoy) and listening to music 8 hours out of the day.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
333
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
Umm... are you my dad? He packed pretty much all of his CDs into huge booklets and threw away the cases (though kept the liner notes) and now both him and I regret it
CD books ruined my life. So many great albums lost ...

I buy records, still. Definitely music DVDs and I love a good music shop. I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars there. Why do I still buy it? I don't think it's necessarily the physicality of it, but of an appreciation for the musicians. I want to support them. I want them to make more music. Also, the CD booklets can sometimes be overlooked, too. I've found some great ones.
333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
Default

I selected 'Most of them, but I still download a few.'

Because well, I pretty much still buy most of my albums and all of my favourite bands will be bought rather than downloaded.

I don't know, I guess I'm kind-of oldschool in that way. I love having the physical copy, I love looking at the artwork, and most of the time I listen to music in my car in which I use the CD player.
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
Guybrush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 6,525
Default

I used to buy CDs, but while I may pick up something now and then, I'd much rather buy downloads. Physical mediums are nice, but when digital formats are available, I see it as a bit of a waste basically. We don't need to print CDs, make plastic cases, little booklets, send them around the world with transportation and hire people to sell them in the stores. Compared to digital distribution, it's just - you know, excess. It's like taking a jumbo jet to work when a stroll would suffice.

The real work of the artist(s) is in the music, not the artwork (which can also be digitized) or the plastic that comes with it.
__________________
Something Completely Different
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
thirsty ears
 
noise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Boulder
Posts: 742
Default

i have not bought a cd for a very, very long time. the problem is i move around a lot, and they're just too impractical.

i have a box of about 500 sitting in the attic at my parents' home, but that's on the other side of the planet from where i live now

plus, there are not many good record stores here, it's hard to find the sort of music i listen to.

so i just download. everything is available online if you know where to look.
__________________
my flac collection
noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #20 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333 View Post
CD books ruined my life. So many great albums lost ...

I buy records, still. Definitely music DVDs and I love a good music shop. I could spend hours and hundreds of dollars there. Why do I still buy it? I don't think it's necessarily the physicality of it, but of an appreciation for the musicians. I want to support them. I want them to make more music. Also, the CD booklets can sometimes be overlooked, too. I've found some great ones.
I agree with this. With some albums the visual imagery just adds a whole other dimension to the sound and the direction they took with the album that you just have no awareness of if you just download the mp3's.

There is a little local record shop in Newcastle that every now and then has a clear out of all their old stock or stock that isnt selling too well that has eventually just ended up getting boxed away somewhere in place of something else. Every few months they drag all the boxes out and put them right around the shop, on the floor, under the displays and just let you go through it all and take away as much as you can carry for £10. I've spent 2 or 3 hours on the floor in that shop going through hundreds of records. Good times.
__________________

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.