Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Pick an artist
Beach Boys, The 10 23.26%
Fall of Troy, The 8 18.60%
Smashing Pumpkins, The 8 18.60%
Yes 10 23.26%
Wire 7 16.28%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #61 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 148
Default

I'd go for The Beach Boys .. they're the best among the choices =D
__________________
WikiMusicGuide | Music Blog
icebox is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I don't see how its much different than all the 90s alternative guitar rock, British Pharaoh seems to have no problem with me saying its unoriginal in fact you agreed with him when he said they should be praised for doing the same thing as their contemporaries and standing out while doing it. Weird how you're saying something different now.
Oh really? Name some other bands that sounded like Smashing Pumpkins at the time?
__________________
Zer0 is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #63 (permalink)
Me and The Major
 
The Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,830
Default

Was going to be TFOT until I remembered that I still can't listen to Manipulator, so I went with Wire instead.
The Dave is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #64 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
boo boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Where the buffalo roam.
Posts: 12,137
Default

In terms of preference.

Yes
Smashing Pumpkins
Beach Boys
Wire
The Fall of Troy.

Love them all though.
boo boo is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:30 AM   #65 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
Oh really? Name some other bands that sounded like Smashing Pumpkins at the time?
If it wasn't for Iha being their guitarist you wouldn't have been able to tell them from the rest of the 90s alternative rock scene. Not to say Iha made them mindblowingly different he just set them apart. They still weren't much different than some stuff on Loveless I really don't see how they were so super original and singular like you're all making them out to be. Perhaps someone could explain to me what makes them so original?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 AM   #66 (permalink)
 
Zer0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 3,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
If it wasn't for Iha being their guitarist you wouldn't have been able to tell them from the rest of the 90s alternative rock scene. Not to say Iha made them mindblowingly different he just set them apart. They still weren't much different than some stuff on Loveless I really don't see how they were so super original and singular like you're all making them out to be. Perhaps someone could explain to me what makes them so original?
I'm not saying that they're completely original, you can tell who some of their influences are, such as MBV, by listening to them. But what other bands in the early to mid 90's where combining down-tuned grunge distortion with gentle dream-rock melodies and make it sound damn good?

It wasn't just James Iha who made them stand out, Corgan's distinctive vocals and Jimmy's tight jazz-influenced drumming were just as important.

If you don't like thier music, fair enough. Not everyone likes the bands you like. Just dont go diss bands that have proven why they are great.
__________________

Last edited by Zer0; 04-24-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Zer0 is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #67 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
I'm not saying that they're completely original, you can tell who some of their influences are, such as MBV, by listening to them. But what other bands in the early to mid 90's where combining down-tuned grunge distortion with gentle dream-rock melodies and make it sound damn good?
Wow, so I guess Wolfmother are original too since not many bands are blatantly ripping off Led Zeppelin right now? There's a difference between sounding fresh and sounding original, learn it.

Quote:
It wasn't just James Iha who made them stand out, Corgan's distinctive vocals and Jimmy's tight jazz-influenced drumming were just as important.
Um, no. I don't really hear the jazz in the drums...at all but as for the Corgan point his voice may be unique in itself but his whiny/scream vocal styling was a 90s trademark.

Quote:
If you don't like thier music, fair enough. Not everyone likes the bands you like. Just dont go diss bands that have proven why they are great.
They've released how many albums? Seven? The only one I'd considered good from a non-biased perspective is Siamese Dream and maybe Gish.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 04:43 AM   #68 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
British_pharaoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 454
Default

another thing regarding Smashing Pumpkins was how different their 90's albums sounded from one another ok some albums weren't completely dissimilar but if it wasn't for Corgan's brilliant nasal vocals you would think Siamese Dream and Adore were by different artists
__________________
"I hate Purity, I hate Goodness, I don't want virtue to exist anywhere. I want everyone corrupt to the bones"

Fat Ed's Guide To Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfdqV_sqal0
British_pharaoh is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #69 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by British_pharaoh View Post
another thing regarding Smashing Pumpkins was how different their 90's albums sounded from one another ok some albums weren't completely dissimilar but if it wasn't for Corgan's brilliant nasal vocals you would think Siamese Dream and Adore were by different artists
I could see they were by the same artist.
I just wondered why the band who released Siamese Dream were releasing comedy albums.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #70 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

As much as i'm enjoying the Beach Boys at the mo, my vote goes to the Pumpkins.

Edit: And since when was Billy Corgan ever a man of comedy?
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.