Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #181 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Ahhh, the glory of Wikipedia. And the fallacy of people that read it too quickly and skim too unthoroughly...


"The Golden Age of Rock lectures define art rock as 'a piece of music in the rock idiom that is appealing more intellectually or musically, that is, not formulated along pop lines for mass consumption.'"


I never said it was. In the case of VU, that's what they intended. However, art rock also defines a genre of a "more mainstream compositional nature, leading to experiemntation in this genre." This brings along Roxy Music, Brian Eno, David Bowie...and holy shit! The Velvet Underground.


Yes, he's a magnificent specimen, isn't he?

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Now you have clumsily back tracked across your own words. Pathetic. Care to try and justify your ignorance anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Drop the personal insults please.

Sure my hypocritically acclaimed buffoon. Just as soon as you do. None have been flung at me, right? You are are a JOKE.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #182 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Tone it down please.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #183 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
You don't have a clue what you are talking about. Now you have clumsily back tracked across your own words. Pathetic. Care to try and justify your ignorance anymore?
Now you're just trying to piss me off. I have no intention to start a flame war. I have expressed a valid argument (supported by real sources), and you haven't objectively refuted it yet. If you want to start a pissy skirmish, I suggest you seek a berth elsewhere.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #184 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Now you're just trying to piss me off. I have no intention to start a flame war. I have expressed a valid argument (supported by real sources), and you haven't objectively refuted it yet. If you want to start a pissy skirmish, I suggest you seek a berth elsewhere.

What have you proposed exactly? You have attempted to correct me and made an ass out of yourself. You contend that The Velvet Underground were Art Rock? That's NOT TRUE. Period. Look up the accepted definition instead of finding it necessary to paraphrase some off the beaten path eccentric scholar to make your point. Art Rock is SOLELY a term that pertains to certain Progressive Rock acts from the 70s. The notion that it refers to some avant or experimental pop bent is nonsense. More pseudo intellectual pushing on behalf of the corporate machine to get their mods in the loop so to speak. That's when the phrase was coined by the press and those are the bands it referred to. Which The Velvet Underground were in no way a part of despite your best attempts to make them seem as though they were.

Now Art Pop as I see it is all about the pseudo intellectual college campus clique bands like Radiohead, Ween, Guided By Voices, Stereo Lab, Cornelius, Tricky, et infinitum as opposed to the their 70s counter parts like Glam Pop artists Bowie & Roxy.

Just more pseudo intellectual pretend sophisticated pop (albeit many a great tune from some of these, not RADIOHEAD however) with a few new decorative twists. More the "in crowd" thing as it's constantly rehashed. Anything but progressive sir. Anything but.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:45 PM   #185 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Ween? Pseudo-intellectual? We are talking about the same Ween that gave us "Boobs," "Pass the Bong" and "Booze Me Up And Get Me High" right?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #186 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Ween? Pseudo-intellectual? We are talking about the same Ween that gave us "Boobs," "Pass the Bong" and "Booze Me Up And Get Me High" right?
I am not accusing them of being personally or lyrically pseudo intellectual, I am claiming that those that tend to make them popular tend to use pseudo intellectual logic to justify there perceived greatness. Same with radiohead.

That band (2 brothers?) is about as ridiculous as ridiculous can be. Holy bedroom DIY nonsense. There is just no intelligent justification for that kind of bull**** becoming popular yet people constantly claim they are the greatest. What do these types of musical appreciators do, get high for a living? You would HAVE to be stoned to appreciate that ****. It's a lame comedy of errors.

Radiohead on the other hand, and I will be doing my best this evening to convince myself differently, just strikes me as boring and limp.
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #187 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

You hate Ween? Do you hate fun too?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:03 PM   #188 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 47
Default

LOL! no. I wouldn't honestly say I "hate" them anymore than listening to DR. Demento. They just have no place next to Beck, the Boredoms or Cornelius.

They sure as he11 ain't no FZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Sounds a hell of a lot better than arguing about meaningless labels over the internet for a living.
I guess you deserve your stabz like everyone else, right?
whogivesaflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #189 (permalink)
sleepe
 
Double X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: boston
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
I am not accusing them of being personally or lyrically pseudo intellectual, I am claiming that those that tend to make them popular tend to use pseudo intellectual logic to justify there perceived greatness. Same with radiohead.

That band (2 brothers?) is about as ridiculous as ridiculous can be. Holy bedroom DIY nonsense. There is just no intelligent justification for that kind of bull**** becoming popular yet people constantly claim they are the greatest. What do these types of musical appreciators do, get high for a living? You would HAVE to be stoned to appreciate that ****. It's a lame comedy of errors.
What the ****. The whole point of rock and roll is supposed to be because they broke away from all the perfect classical music. What's wrong about making a joke out of music and having a blast with it?

People claim they are geniuses because they actually write great melodies lyrics, play off almost every genre, and they don't really put real emotion as a focus but they do it as a study to try every genre.
Double X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #190 (permalink)
____
 
FaSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 5,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogivesaflux View Post
Sure my hypocritically acclaimed buffoon. Just as soon as you do. None have been flung at me, right? You are are a JOKE.

your not very good at making friends huh?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What? No. No. No. No no no.
FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.