Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 12:33 PM   #521 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,447
Default



61 : Mis-tagged MP3s

I don't quite know how it happened but over the past 4 or 5 years I have come to the conclusion that mis-tagged MP3s have become a crime so heinous that it ranks right up there with genocide , ethnic cleansing & mass murder.

It never used to bother me that much. When I got my first PC around 9 years ago I was only on shitty dial up (In fact have you ever noticed now that when talking about download speeds you always have to prefix 'shitty' before Dial up) and it only had a 12 gig hard drive so music was never something I used it for give or take the odd hard to find B side that I would manually record onto mini-disc.

When I suddenly found myself in the possession of a better computer (80 Gig) , broadband and an 20 Gig Ipod 3 or 4 years later this is when I first noticed the horror of mis-tagged MP3s.

There are several types of offenders

01_People_who_flat_out_refuse_to_bother_how_to_use _a_fucking_space_bar

01 01 People Who
02 02 Put the track number
03 03 Where you only need to type the song title
04 04 So It shows up
05 05 Like this
06 06 All the fucking time

61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_01_People_Who
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_02_Can't Use
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_03_A_Fucking_Space_Bar
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_04_And_Who_Insist_On_Always
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_05_Typing_Out_The_name_of
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_06_The_album_title_and_the_artist
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_07_In_every_fucking_song

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

The last one with just 'Track 1' written is what prompted me to write this as I just downloaded an Electro Hippies album with 39 tracks on it and every single song was written as Track 1/Track 2/Track 3. I should have been happy that I got an album for free that I'd been after for ages, but the fact I had to sit down and spend ages changing 39 titles spoiled my enjoyment.
Ungrateful?
Hell yes , If you don't know how to tag an MP3 don't fucking upload them. Of course that means I lose out on an album I want and I'm being incredibly childish about the whole thing , but thats what 5 years of re-tagging MP3s does to you.

And please can my Ipod make it's fucking mind up about whether Psychocandy is by The Jesus And Mary Chain , Jesus And Mary Chain , The Jesus & Mary Chain or Jesus & Mary Chain. And not four seperate bands which it seems to think so at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if all these newish post rock and indie bands using names with lots of stupid punctuation are doing this for this very reason , just to wind people up.

I swear all this stuff will send me into an early grave. If this list was in order this would probably be No 2 judging from the amount of 'fucks' in it.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM   #522 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Number of songs on WMP under 'Unknown': 101
I bet if i played them all i'd find some right belters but i just can't be arsed.
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #523 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Space_bars_are_overrated.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #524 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
Number of songs on WMP under 'Unknown': 101
I bet if i played them all i'd find some right belters but i just can't be arsed.
How do you think I feel? I have to be arsed when listening to a Northern Soul comp on WMP when all I get is the unknown tag.
Have you any idea how difficult and frustrating it is, to track down the song title of a rare 60's soul track you've never heard before!?
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #525 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
How do you think I feel? I have to be arsed when listening to a Northern Soul comp on WMP when all I get is the unknown tag.
Have you any idea how difficult and frustrating it is, to track down the song title of a rare 60's soul track you've never heard before!?
Surely you know the name of the compilation though?
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:05 PM   #526 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Not always. It depends on where I got the comp from.
Worst offenders are other soulie's selling rare tracks made from master tapes on home made CD's.
Even worse is when they tag them incorrectly.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM   #527 (permalink)
____
 
FaSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 5,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post


61 : Mis-tagged MP3s

I don't quite know how it happened but over the past 4 or 5 years I have come to the conclusion that mis-tagged MP3s have become a crime so heinous that it ranks right up there with genocide , ethnic cleansing & mass murder.

It never used to bother me that much. When I got my first PC around 9 years ago I was only on shitty dial up (In fact have you ever noticed now that when talking about download speeds you always have to prefix 'shitty' before Dial up) and it only had a 12 gig hard drive so music was never something I used it for give or take the odd hard to find B side that I would manually record onto mini-disc.

When I suddenly found myself in the possession of a better computer (80 Gig) , broadband and an 20 Gig Ipod 3 or 4 years later this is when I first noticed the horror of mis-tagged MP3s.

There are several types of offenders

01_People_who_flat_out_refuse_to_bother_how_to_use _a_fucking_space_bar

01 01 People Who
02 02 Put the track number
03 03 Where you only need to type the song title
04 04 So It shows up
05 05 Like this
06 06 All the fucking time

61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_01_People_Who
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_02_Can't Use
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_03_A_Fucking_Space_Bar
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_04_And_Who_Insist_On_Always
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_05_Typing_Out_The_name_of
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_06_The_album_title_and_the_artist
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_07_In_every_fucking_song

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

The last one with just 'Track 1' written is what prompted me to write this as I just downloaded an Electro Hippies album with 39 tracks on it and every single song was written as Track 1/Track 2/Track 3. I should have been happy that I got an album for free that I'd been after for ages, but the fact I had to sit down and spend ages changing 39 titles spoiled my enjoyment.
Ungrateful?
Hell yes , If you don't know how to tag an MP3 don't fucking upload them. Of course that means I lose out on an album I want and I'm being incredibly childish about the whole thing , but thats what 5 years of re-tagging MP3s does to you.

And please can my Ipod make it's fucking mind up about whether Psychocandy is by The Jesus And Mary Chain , Jesus And Mary Chain , The Jesus & Mary Chain or Jesus & Mary Chain. And not four seperate bands which it seems to think so at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if all these newish post rock and indie bands using names with lots of stupid punctuation are doing this for this very reason , just to wind people up.

I swear all this stuff will send me into an early grave. If this list was in order this would probably be No 2 judging from the amount of 'fucks' in it.
the most annoying one yet imo
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What? No. No. No. No no no.
FaSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #528 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

When I swapped over hard drives about 6 weeks ago, I deleted all un tagged tracks even if there was some belters in there. I have a few albums without tags and I am slowly retagging them. It is time consuming. I also like to have the album cover in the folder too so i'm in the process of finding covers too.
__________________

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #529 (permalink)
Moodswings n' Roundabouts
 
Piss Me Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: At the corner of Dude and Catastrophe
Posts: 4,510
Default

Oh shit yes. I had a look through them and found some acoustic Mclusky. Tonights listening is sorted!
__________________


Last FM
Rate Yr Music
Muxtape
Piss Me Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #530 (permalink)
Back to mono
 
WaspStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post


61 : Mis-tagged MP3s

I don't quite know how it happened but over the past 4 or 5 years I have come to the conclusion that mis-tagged MP3s have become a crime so heinous that it ranks right up there with genocide , ethnic cleansing & mass murder.

It never used to bother me that much. When I got my first PC around 9 years ago I was only on shitty dial up (In fact have you ever noticed now that when talking about download speeds you always have to prefix 'shitty' before Dial up) and it only had a 12 gig hard drive so music was never something I used it for give or take the odd hard to find B side that I would manually record onto mini-disc.

When I suddenly found myself in the possession of a better computer (80 Gig) , broadband and an 20 Gig Ipod 3 or 4 years later this is when I first noticed the horror of mis-tagged MP3s.

There are several types of offenders

01_People_who_flat_out_refuse_to_bother_how_to_use _a_fucking_space_bar

01 01 People Who
02 02 Put the track number
03 03 Where you only need to type the song title
04 04 So It shows up
05 05 Like this
06 06 All the fucking time

61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_01_People_Who
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_02_Can't Use
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_03_A_Fucking_Space_Bar
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_04_And_Who_Insist_On_Always
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_05_Typing_Out_The_name_of
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_06_The_album_title_and_the_artist
61_:_Mis-tagged_MP3s_07_In_every_fucking_song

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
Track 5

The last one with just 'Track 1' written is what prompted me to write this as I just downloaded an Electro Hippies album with 39 tracks on it and every single song was written as Track 1/Track 2/Track 3. I should have been happy that I got an album for free that I'd been after for ages, but the fact I had to sit down and spend ages changing 39 titles spoiled my enjoyment.
Ungrateful?
Hell yes , If you don't know how to tag an MP3 don't fucking upload them. Of course that means I lose out on an album I want and I'm being incredibly childish about the whole thing , but thats what 5 years of re-tagging MP3s does to you.

And please can my Ipod make it's fucking mind up about whether Psychocandy is by The Jesus And Mary Chain , Jesus And Mary Chain , The Jesus & Mary Chain or Jesus & Mary Chain. And not four seperate bands which it seems to think so at the moment. I'm beginning to wonder if all these newish post rock and indie bands using names with lots of stupid punctuation are doing this for this very reason , just to wind people up.

I swear all this stuff will send me into an early grave. If this list was in order this would probably be No 2 judging from the amount of 'fucks' in it.

I don't download music, so I can't relate to this one.

::Smug look::


(But I agree about the band names; even when ripping CD's, there are apparently three variations on "Echo & The Bunnymen").
__________________
"This sure doesn't look like 'Crazy Ernie's Amazing Emporium of Total Bargain Madness!'"
WaspStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.