Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #231 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Due to the generational gap, I'm sure the average high school kid now feel the same way about the current music scene (whatever style they like) as we did back then.
And I get that.

Who now however could compare to..?

Say Tool? Pumpkins? Red Hots? Beasties? Soundgarden?

I'm sure their are individual arguments but as whole it's tough to argue.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/VancouverFlanke

The face is familiar but I can't quite remember my name.
Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #232 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
It was amazing! I really miss those days. I've got plenty of record stores around me now, but it's just not the same with the internet making things easier (even if I'm still buying CDs), and just the fact that when you got to a record store and can't find what you want, you know it would have been easier sitting on your ass at home ordering it online. It sucks.
Aye, I still buy CDs, but if I can hear the album a few days before it's release date, the temptation is there to download it since it's leaked, just out of curiosity. As well as the excitement of going to get it, bring it home, listen to it, discussing it with your friends in school must have been brilliant. "Have you heard that new band Nirvana?" "Who?" "Nirvana, they have just released their second album. It's amazng!"

Clicking pre order and then waiting for it to drop through the door definitely doesn't have the same buzz around it.
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #233 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
As well as the excitement of going to get it, bring it home, listen to it, discussing it with your friends in school must have been brilliant. "Have you heard that new band Nirvana?" "Who?" "Nirvana, they have just released their second album. It's amazng!"
When Nevermind came out one of my friends at school told me with a sneer that Nirvana "used to be a really good punk band"

On the other hand I did have pretty much the experience that you described. I first heard of Nirvana when somebody handed me their Nevermind cassette and I was entranced by the artwork; when I pulled out the insert, the blurry photo of the guy with his middle finger up told me that I was going to like this music - and I did.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #234 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
When Nevermind came out one of my friends at school told me with a sneer that Nirvana "used to be a really good punk band"

On the other hand I did have pretty much the experience that you described. I first heard of Nirvana when somebody handed me their Nevermind cassette and I was entranced by the artwork; when I pulled out the insert, the blurry photo of the guy with his middle finger up told me that I was going to like this music - and I did.
I just used Nevermind as an example, it was my favourite album from 91. What year/grade was you in when it came out? But same applies for Pearl Jam - Ten, RHCP - Blood Sugar etc.

Was you still in school in 93 when Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream came out? What was it like back then when that came out?
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #235 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
And I get that.

Who now however could compare to..?

Say Tool? Pumpkins? Red Hots? Beasties? Soundgarden?

I'm sure their are individual arguments but as whole it's tough to argue.
Yeah I hear ya, I can't think of any bands from this decade or even the late 90s that I could compare to those (in their prime, of course). But somebody could, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Was you still in school in 93 when Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream came out? What was it like back then when that came out?
This was an amazing time. I can't begin to describe how that album used to make me feel. Kind of like a good hit of acid or ecstasy maybe...it just worked so well.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #236 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Was you still in school in 93 when Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream came out? What was it like back then when that came out?
When that came out I was done with high school and had been in college for a year listening to much weirder stuff and I had sort of written off a lot of my old favorites. But Gish was really special to me (still love it) so I was eagerly awaiting Siamese Dream. I was slightly disappointed when it first came out. The songs had more hooks than Gish but I felt like the band had lost something. Still, I did like it and I grew to really love it.
Many of my friends liked SD no matter what kind of music they were into (some hated it of course), and it eventually became more popular than Gish which is still a little bit strange for me but I can understand it. Both of those albums are still high on my list.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #237 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
When that came out I was done with high school and had been in college for a year listening to much weirder stuff and I had sort of written off a lot of my old favorites. But Gish was really special to me (still love it) so I was eagerly awaiting Siamese Dream. I was slightly disappointed when it first came out. The songs had more hooks than Gish but I felt like the band had lost something. Still, I did like it and I grew to really love it.
Many of my friends liked SD no matter what kind of music they were into (some hated it of course), and it eventually became more popular than Gish which is still a little bit strange for me but I can understand it. Both of those albums are still high on my list.
You was slightly disappointed with it when it first came out?! WHAT?! Well at least you came to your senses and realised it's a brilliant album in the end
I suppose it's just like an album coming out today - expectation, rumours about how good it is, and whatever is on the record it can't live up to expectations..
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #238 (permalink)
Such That
 
Bane of your existence's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 1,193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
lets see it...

And it was also the time..The big Seattle movement and the feeling.....you can't tell me now can compare with 90-95...really?

edit: found it..very good but I can't say I agree.

Artists : Fun Fun Fun
First, I think I might have been thinking of a different fest, I'll have to look it up when I'm not at work.
But it's been my experience that nostalgia puts on a better show than any band. The combination of remembering your youth, and the fact that actual events rarely stack up to memories means just about every one, and every generation, thinks that they lived in the time to live and saw the shows to see. Especially when you say that no one else can know "the feeling" of the Seattle movement, it reeks of it hard. And the kids of today will remember going to see Why? and Melt Banana and claim the lived in the best era for music.
Trying to be as unobjective as possible, I really do think that now is the best time in American history for live shows. I've seen RHCP, Beastie, Pearl Jam, and Tool. Most of the bands you mentioned still tour. Plus buku new jams. And it seems that bands are touring more feverishly than ever before. I'll try and find that one golden line-up from last year that I was talking about, but at the FFF fest alone these legends played: Lucero, Of Montreal, Mission of Burma, Why?, This Will Destroy You, The Jesus Lizard, Danzig, 7 Seconds, DRI, Melt Banana, Coalesce, Youth Brigade, Astronautalis, GZA, Pharcyde, .
Bane of your existence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM   #239 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I just used Nevermind as an example, it was my favourite album from 91. What year/grade was you in when it came out? But same applies for Pearl Jam - Ten, RHCP - Blood Sugar etc.

Was you still in school in 93 when Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream came out? What was it like back then when that came out?
I remember the day I first listened to it. Like it was yesterday. I can't describe it. It brings me back every time. Amazing. Mayonaise sends chills down my spine.

Finally a place where I can talk about the Pumpkins, with people who were there..and get it. Nice.
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/VancouverFlanke

The face is familiar but I can't quite remember my name.
Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #240 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane of your existence View Post
First, I think I might have been thinking of a different fest, I'll have to look it up when I'm not at work.
But it's been my experience that nostalgia puts on a better show than any band. The combination of remembering your youth, and the fact that actual events rarely stack up to memories means just about every one, and every generation, thinks that they lived in the time to live and saw the shows to see. Especially when you say that no one else can know "the feeling" of the Seattle movement, it reeks of it hard. And the kids of today will remember going to see Why? and Melt Banana and claim the lived in the best era for music.
Trying to be as unobjective as possible, I really do think that now is the best time in American history for live shows. I've seen RHCP, Beastie, Pearl Jam, and Tool. Most of the bands you mentioned still tour. Plus buku new jams. And it seems that bands are touring more feverishly than ever before. I'll try and find that one golden line-up from last year that I was talking about, but at the FFF fest alone these legends played: Lucero, Of Montreal, Mission of Burma, Why?, This Will Destroy You, The Jesus Lizard, Danzig, 7 Seconds, DRI, Melt Banana, Coalesce, Youth Brigade, Astronautalis, GZA, Pharcyde, .
I respect you thoughts and look forward to seeing that line up.

Side note however..seeing Beastie, Pearl Jam, and Tool...now or recently it's not the same..really. Not nostalgia, it was all new ..all fresh...hitting us all at the same time like a wrecking ball, almost too much to take.

Lets do a test then..

Ill name 10 albums from 90-91 you match those with albums from 2004-2009 (in no order)

Ænema =?
Blood Sugar = ?
Siamese Dream = ?
Violator = ?
Nevermind = ?
Dookie = ?
Superunknown = ?
Rage Against The Machine = ?
Loveless =?
Badmotorfinger =?
__________________
http://www.last.fm/user/VancouverFlanke

The face is familiar but I can't quite remember my name.

Last edited by Vancouver; 02-19-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.