Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Ba and Be.
 
jackhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: This Is England
Posts: 17,300
Default

Please don't destroy them
__________________

A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.
jackhammer is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:42 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Please don't destroy them
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
For the past ten years or so it seems everyone has strayed away and gone to rap... Please post your thoughts on this subject
welcome to being old. have big band orchestras come back to being on top? how about jazz ensembles? funk? AOR?

it's not like those styles don't exist anymore or can't be found, but just like rock they're old. rock music is pushing 60 now and hasn't really grown since the 70s. yes there are minor stylistic changes and seminal hybrid examples but overall it's still power chords and pelvic thrusts.

it's no longer the vogue style of the mainstream anymore because it was there 10 years ago. today's kids don't want to listen to more of the same crap 30 somethings grew up with. it's how it's been for decades now, the mainstream caters to the demographic with the most amount of disposable income - teenagers. that's it, that's all. if there are some residual adolescents closing in on 30 who still want to adhere to that facet of pop culture it's their prerogative and a bonus for the mainstream but don't fool yourself into thinking it's anything besides marketing or that you're somehow leading the pack and not just that creepy old dude who thinks they're cool because they'll get beer for the high school kids.

when's the last time you talked to someone who was starting into their 20s in the early 90s when nirvana came along and seemingly changed mainstream music overnight? - it was going so good then it went to hell, all these depressed idiots who couldn't sing, couldn't play their instruments, had no idea how to play 'real' music, 90s rock was just horrible and depressing....

at this point the net is the medium of choice for new music so it's really hard to say what direction things are going to move in with the next generation of kids trying to establish their aural identity.

if you want to play rock music then by all means do it up, unless you live in some super remote area i'm sure there's a local bar that will let you use their stage. on the other hand if you want to be a mainstream rock star you might as well just sell your gear and dump all of that money into lottery tickets.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
Now you are just getting too clever for me We hijacked a thread pretty good lol
damn i have to start taking less time to write serious replies haha
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #25 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
welcome to being old. have big band orchestras come back to being on top? how about jazz ensembles? funk? AOR?

it's not like those styles don't exist anymore or can't be found, but just like rock they're old. rock music is pushing 60 now and hasn't really grown since the 70s. yes there are minor stylistic changes and seminal hybrid examples but overall it's still power chords and pelvic thrusts.

it's no longer the vogue style of the mainstream anymore because it was there 10 years ago. today's kids don't want to listen to more of the same crap 30 somethings grew up with. it's how it's been for decades now, the mainstream caters to the demographic with the most amount of disposable income - teenagers. that's it, that's all. if there are some residual adolescents closing in on 30 who still want to adhere to that facet of pop culture it's their prerogative and a bonus for the mainstream but don't fool yourself into thinking it's anything besides marketing or that you're somehow leading the pack and not just that creepy old dude who thinks they're cool because they'll get beer for the high school kids.

when's the last time you talked to someone who was starting into their 20s in the early 90s when nirvana came along and seemingly changed mainstream music overnight? - it was going so good then it went to hell, all these depressed idiots who couldn't sing, couldn't play their instruments, had no idea how to play 'real' music, 90s rock was just horrible and depressing....

at this point the net is the medium of choice for new music so it's really hard to say what direction things are going to move in with the next generation of kids trying to establish their aural identity.

if you want to play rock music then by all means do it up, unless you live in some super remote area i'm sure there's a local bar that will let you use their stage. on the other hand if you want to be a mainstream rock star you might as well just sell your gear and dump all of that money into lottery tickets.
I agree with mr dave 100% on this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
I'm sorry, is this Can?
 
Comus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,902
Default

Mr. Dave makes some good points, but let's remember that there are rock bands that are making it 'big'. I'm talking being able to make music that will make you world known, maybe not within the mainstream, but to enough people that you can be commercially viable. It's not so hard at the end of the day. Rock won't ever die out, simply because none of the styles that came before it have. There are still dance bands, there are still crooners out there playing and making a living out of it.

Just because it isn't "mainstream" anymore (which I completely dissagree with) doesn't mean it's not there. The big bands of the 70's still get thousands of listens, and more and more people are opening up their eyes to the past as well as the future. I used to think that rock was dead and today's kids listen only to rap and other rubbish, but that's wrong. So what if it's not the genre that's talked about the most on the media, who the hell cares? Not you if you bring it up, only the idiots that listen to the media care.
__________________
last.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio
classical music isn't exactly religious, you know?
um
Comus is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

I'm basically saying that it seems rap took over for the gen after mine and honestly I think I would rather have my kids listen to any depressed rock star sing than have to hear the wonderful story of eminem
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Yukon Cornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 625
Default

Honestly kids are having babies younger than ever all these things that relate back to the message that this Rap music sends out.. Im not saying the new age rock with your buckcherry is away from that. I just seems like a way more sexually explicit type world after the whole Rap blowup.. You do the math.
Yukon Cornelius is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #29 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comus View Post
Mr. Dave makes some good points, but let's remember that there are rock bands that are making it 'big'. I'm talking being able to make music that will make you world known, maybe not within the mainstream, but to enough people that you can be commercially viable. It's not so hard at the end of the day. Rock won't ever die out, simply because none of the styles that came before it have. There are still dance bands, there are still crooners out there playing and making a living out of it.

Just because it isn't "mainstream" anymore (which I completely dissagree with) doesn't mean it's not there. The big bands of the 70's still get thousands of listens, and more and more people are opening up their eyes to the past as well as the future. I used to think that rock was dead and today's kids listen only to rap and other rubbish, but that's wrong. So what if it's not the genre that's talked about the most on the media, who the hell cares? Not you if you bring it up, only the idiots that listen to the media care.
Plenty of styles have already died out (and it would be unwise to resurrect them), but yes, their influence lives on through popular music. I don't think rock n' roll has waxed quite yet; it may in the next decade or so, but it's still going today. The bigger conundrum is what will happen to the music industry itself (and independent music stores - the real victims of the piracy age).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Honestly kids are having babies younger than ever all these things that relate back to the message that this Rap music sends out.. Im not saying the new age rock with your buckcherry is away from that. I just seems like a way more sexually explicit type world after the whole Rap blowup.. You do the math.
lolwut
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline  
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: VAN
Posts: 2,530
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Honestly kids are having babies younger than ever all these things that relate back to the message that this Rap music sends out.. Im not saying the new age rock with your buckcherry is away from that. I just seems like a way more sexually explicit type world after the whole Rap blowup.. You do the math.
my favourite poster
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.