Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #91 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
The letter U and the numeral 2.
Bonus points for Negativland reference!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #92 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
thirtiesgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loss Angeles
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Bonus points for Negativland reference!
Woot! I was hoping someone might catch that. ...Now if you can help me find a copy of that extremely rare song on CD, I'll be forever in your debt.
__________________
Even in my darkest recollection, there was someone singing my life back to me. ~Neko Case
thirtiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #93 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
Ah. Thanks. (And obviously I'm revealing myself as not a very good thread reader. ) So was a correct pronunciation ever decided on? I've always pronounced it "OH-teh-ker," but it seems like more folks prefer the "AW" sound at the beginning.
Yeah it seems the AW is the most widely accepted pronunciation. However, I recall the band saying they really don't give a fuck because it's a made up word.
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #94 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Turquoise_Days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Londonish
Posts: 50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Yeah it seems the AW is the most widely accepted pronunciation. However, I recall the band saying they really don't give a fuck because it's a made up word.
If you want to make it french sounding, that's be "OH" (or even "OOO"). I know it's not meant to mean anything, and I know they're english, but the word itself looks and feel french to me, for some reason...
Turquoise_Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #95 (permalink)
Dat's Der Bunny!
 
MoonlitSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
I don't know German so I always second guess myself when saying Einstürzende Neubauten... my guess is ein-shterr-zend-a noy-bau-ten.
first of all, lol @ Ein Shorts Ben Gay Toy Bottom.

Secondly, noy-bau-ten is correct, the first (apart from differing pretty wildly based on what german accent you're doing :P) could be said with a decent degree of accuracy to be "ein(eye-n)-shtoortz-endeh" if that makes any sense.
__________________
"I found it eventually, at the bottom of a locker in a disused laboratory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Ever thought of going into Advertising?"

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #96 (permalink)
Engorged Member
 
sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquoise_Days View Post
If you want to make it french sounding, that's be "OH" (or even "OOO"). I know it's not meant to mean anything, and I know they're english, but the word itself looks and feel french to me, for some reason...
Yeah you're not the first to want to pronounce it in a French way. That's how I always say it in my head. (see first page also).
__________________
last.fm | my collection on RYM | vinyl instagram @allthatyouseeandhear
I'd love to see your signature/links too, but the huge and obnoxious ones have caused me to block all signatures.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #97 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
thirtiesgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loss Angeles
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Yeah it seems the AW is the most widely accepted pronunciation. However, I recall the band saying they really don't give a fuck because it's a made up word.
That I didn't know. I'm a bit disappointed now. I was kind of hoping it was some obscure word that I'd someday learn the meaning of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
first of all, lol @ Ein Shorts Ben Gay Toy Bottom.
Danke schoen, dahlink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
Secondly, noy-bau-ten is correct, the first (apart from differing pretty wildly based on what german accent you're doing :P) could be said with a decent degree of accuracy to be "ein(eye-n)-shtoortz-endeh" if that makes any sense.
I usually say "ein-STROY-zen-day NOY-bau-ten." ...Or, "Blixa, I want your German babies!!!" Whatever pops into my head first.
__________________
Even in my darkest recollection, there was someone singing my life back to me. ~Neko Case
thirtiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #98 (permalink)
Fish in the percolator!
 
Seltzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hobbit Land NZ
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
first of all, lol @ Ein Shorts Ben Gay Toy Bottom.

Secondly, noy-bau-ten is correct, the first (apart from differing pretty wildly based on what german accent you're doing :P) could be said with a decent degree of accuracy to be "ein(eye-n)-shtoortz-endeh" if that makes any sense.
Ah thanks, that fully makes sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
I usually say "ein-STROY-zen-day NOY-bau-ten." ...Or, "Blixa, I want your German babies!!!" Whatever pops into my head first.
I always thought Blixa was a pretty cool name... would you name your babies after German brands of pens as well?
__________________
Seltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #99 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirtiesgirl View Post
Woot! I was hoping someone might catch that. ...Now if you can help me find a copy of that extremely rare song on CD, I'll be forever in your debt.
No such luck. All I have is the U2 EP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #100 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
thirtiesgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Loss Angeles
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
I always thought Blixa was a pretty cool name... would you name your babies after German brands of pens as well?
I really don't care what their names are, as long as I get some time between the sheets with Blixa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
No such luck. All I have is the U2 EP.
Gnarf.
__________________
Even in my darkest recollection, there was someone singing my life back to me. ~Neko Case
thirtiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.