Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM   #341 (permalink)
_____________
 
Cenotaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Wow, talk about over analyzing. The words I used are the words from the title of the thread.
I'm really not over analyzing anything. I just got the feeling that you disliked Cat Stevens. I'm just going into detail in why I felt that way.
Cenotaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #342 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I guess you could consider it a form of prejudice but... I think that same way for Christianity. I think it depends on how you interpret it.
Prejudice, yes.
Well I'm pretty much against any form of religion that includes honoring any type of higher 'being'. I'm not saying there's nothing more, but the way it's interpreted by most religious people scares the **** out of me.
But a main difference between Islam and "modern" christianism is the fact that back in the... What was it, 18th century? Christian religions changed. I'm not sure what you call it here. We call it 'verlichting', meaning 'enlightenment'. As far as I know the Islam never had that. Makes quite a big difference. There's no such thing as a 'jihad' for christian religions. There's some idiots trying to convert everything they run into, but as far as I know no holy wars are fought over christianity and as far as I know even the christian extremists aren't that extreme.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #343 (permalink)
...
 
dankrsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Serbia
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
There's no such thing as a 'jihad' for christian religions. There's some idiots trying to convert everything they run into, but as far as I know no holy wars are fought over christianity and as far as I know even the christian extremists aren't that extreme.
Um..what about Crusades. Those were seen as holy wars at the time and are still seen as such. But, I agree generally with what you said. Holy War is not something that is a part of Christian dogma as far as I know. But, it was happening throughout the history, with Crusades being the most obvious example.
__________________
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #344 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
There's some idiots trying to convert everything they run into, but as far as I know no holy wars are fought over christianity and as far as I know even the christian extremists aren't that extreme.
No it was called Imperialism instead
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #345 (permalink)
_____________
 
Cenotaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Prejudice, yes.
Well I'm pretty much against any form of religion that includes honoring any type of higher 'being'. I'm not saying there's nothing more, but the way it's interpreted by most religious people scares the **** out of me.
But a main difference between Islam and "modern" christianism is the fact that back in the... What was it, 18th century? Christian religions changed. I'm not sure what you call it here. We call it 'verlichting', meaning 'enlightenment'. As far as I know the Islam never had that. Makes quite a big difference. There's no such thing as a 'jihad' for christian religions. There's some idiots trying to convert everything they run into, but as far as I know no holy wars are fought over christianity and as far as I know even the christian extremists aren't that extreme.
In terms of modernization, yes, Christianity is more "modern" than Islam. Yes, there's no jihad in Christianity, but there certainly are extremist Christians. Albeit, they're not Al Queda, but there certainly are some crazy ones. I guess the KKK qualifies as a Christian organization....

You must also remember that Islam was founded 500 years after Christianity, so maybe that's the reason it hasn't achieved what Christianity has. That might just be an excuse, though.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of either religions.
Cenotaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #346 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Huge fan of rock (particularly classic rock) because in addition to good songwriting and singing you need instrumental talent. No matter what school of rap it doesn't have that. I'm not a huge rap fan....I guess I like some of the older stuff in moderation but I can't stand the new ****....rappers just seem to bitch and moan about how hard their life was as a child or its about drugs and slapping ho's etc....yes rockstars do this too I suppose but its nowhere near as common, IMO. On the contrary, most new rock music isn't very interesting either. No one seems to be trying very hard to make a good, original sounding song minus the few veteran rock bands that are still around. They don't have their own unique sound or styles anymore, guitar solos suck or are generic, and I don't think there has been a single drum solo in a rock song since the 1980s. IMO, thats the stuff that makes a hard rock song good.
taken from another forum. you can tell he only listens to classic rock
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #347 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post
Um..what about Crusades. Those were seen as holy wars at the time and are still seen as such. But, I agree generally with what you said. Holy War is not something that is a part of Christian dogma as far as I know. But, it was happening throughout the history, with Crusades being the most obvious example.
Actually, it's kind of still happening. Many people tend to overlook the fact that Iraq was not a Muslim or religious nation at all. Sadam hated Islam. However, one of the first things that happened when he was overthrown was the building of churches, which American soldiers have been assigned to protect...

Yes, the Christian world is still trying to "convert the snakes".
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #348 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really, Cat? Really? You had never heard of gospel music before? You must have led an amazingly sheltered life.
It's cause deep down he always knew that Allah is the one true god.
__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #349 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine View Post
It's cause deep down he always knew that Allah is the one true god.
That's probably why he always had a beard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #350 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
That's probably why he always had a beard.
Yeah that and he was really, really high.

__________________
Like an arrow,
I was only passing through.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.