Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Default I don't like Music.

Hi Everyone,

My name is (for the purposes of this forum) HAL9000, I'm a new member, but didn't want to have an introductory thread in the other section, I thought I'd just jump straight into the reason I joined.

I, for all intents and purposes do not like Music. It doesn't speak to me, I see little to no value in it (with the exception of it adding something to movies / films) there are truly no bands / groups / artists that I like, that I would consider spending money on going to see or purchasing an album. I thought this would be a good place to discuss it, after finding the forum.

I'd really appreciate a reasonable conversation, rather than any abuse. I'm a reasonable person and I'm here not just because I'd like to discuss this with music fans, but that I thought maybe some of you would like to talk to me.

I'm trying to find if there is some music that I would like, I've found that I very much appreciate the technical skill that goes into playing a music instrument or in construction a piece of music without it sounding disjointed. I don't hate music, it doesn't offend or irritate me, rather it's just nothing, just some sound, if it were removed from the world it wouldn't effect me.

The main reason I'd like to find some music is that I hate silence, I listen to the radio every time I'm in the car, I listen to whatever's in the charts, I know the words to a lot of them, because I hear them over and over again, but I don't think the stuff is good or bad, it's just music.

Recently I've started to listen to classical music, that way I don't end up with a head full of useless lyrics and (as I said before) I can appreciate the technical skill of the performers / composers.

Before anyone asks if I'm an emotion-less robot, that's not the case, I adore painting and architecture (my two favourite art forms) and I got to galleries on the odd occasion, I'm a huge film fan, cinema is one of the biggest joys in my life and I imagine that without music it wouldn't be what it is, so I suppose I'd keep art in the world for that reason.

All the music I have on my iPhone are film themes, purely because they remind me of the films, not because they are good songs / music.

So.... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

HAL
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Have you ever seen the movie Mary and Max? Your writing reminds me of it.

As for suggestions. Try music from around the world. See if any of it makes you feel good. You won't be able to understand the lyrics, so the lyrics won't bother you.

enjoy
C-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
satan in the fire
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,413
Default

I would suggest a different forum to be honest.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-mo View Post
Have you ever seen the movie Mary and Max? Your writing reminds me of it.

As for suggestions. Try music from around the world. See if any of it makes you feel good. You won't be able to understand the lyrics, so the lyrics won't bother you.

enjoy
Yep, that makes sense. I'll give it a go, I live in Europe (UK) the music from continental europe that I've heard doesn't seem to work for me, but I'll give it a go, thanks.

Haven't seen Mary and Max, I'll look it up.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I would suggest a different forum to be honest.
I think this is the forum to go for, as it's specifically music related.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post
So.... Any ideas?
Hmm... I'm not sure what to say. It's very hard for me to imagine what it's like to not feel music at all. Not only do I love music, but there's really no form of art that leaves me cold like that. I guess if you don't feel it, it may be that it's just not for you. The only suggestion I can think of is to check out a wide variety of styles beyond just pop and classical. Try some jazz, some experimental noise, some afrobeat, some extreme metal, some chinese classical, some tango, some klezmer, etc.—whatever different things you can find, both old and new. Push the boundaries. And if music still does nothing for you, it probably never will.

Also, if you don't like music but hate silence, maybe you should consider listening to talk radio, podcasts, or audio books.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
I would suggest a different forum to be honest.
This.

Quite frankly everything about your post reeks of yet another attempt at trolling the community, like a polar opposite of JayShreddz.

You say you don't want to be called a robot but you choose HAL9000 as a username. You assume you'll be the recipient of abuse for being different. You flat out state you do not like music or recognize it's value aside from being an aural additive to an (implied) superior visual art style. Serious question - have you ever gotten your hearing checked?

Having said that, I don't think you're a lost cause, but I think you have a poor attitude towards music and you might not necessarily end up feeling very satisfied with this place. Whatever. You say you've recently started enjoying Classical music as well as film soundtracks (even if it is 'secondary' enjoyment upon the reminiscence of some visual). At that point I'd suggest more Ambient Electronic stuff. In particular these 3 albums to get your started:

Brian Eno - Music for Airports
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 (Vol. 1 is also good but 2 fits your description better).
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 11
Default

good suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Hmm... I'm not sure what to say. It's very hard for me to imagine what it's like to not feel music at all. Not only do I love music, but there's really no form of art that leaves me cold like that. I guess if you don't feel it, it may be that it's just not for you. The only suggestion I think of is to check out a wide variety of styles beyond just pop and classical. Try some jazz, some experimental noise, some afrobeat, some extreme metal, some chinese classical, some tango, some klezmer, etc.—whatever different things you can find, both and new. Push the boundaries. And if music still does nothing for you, it probably never will.

Also, if you don't like music but hate silence, maybe you should consider listening to talk radio, podcasts, or audio books.
I love klezmer music! It's so happy.
C-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 230
Default

At the risk of sounding insulting you're probably either Tone deaf, (this article should help Tone Deaf People Subconsciously Recognize Incorrect Notes) or you have very little imagination.

Rubato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
This.

Quite frankly everything about your post reeks of yet another attempt at trolling the community, like a polar opposite of JayShreddz.

You say you don't want to be called a robot but you choose HAL9000 as a username. You assume you'll be the recipient of abuse for being different. You flat out state you do not like music or recognize it's value aside from being an aural additive to an (implied) superior visual art style. Serious question - have you ever gotten your hearing checked?

Having said that, I don't think you're a lost cause, but I think you have a poor attitude towards music and you might not necessarily end up feeling very satisfied with this place. Whatever. You say you've recently started enjoying Classical music as well as film soundtracks (even if it is 'secondary' enjoyment upon the reminiscence of some visual). At that point I'd suggest more Ambient Electronic stuff. In particular these 3 albums to get your started:

Brian Eno - Music for Airports
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Vol. 2 (Vol. 1 is also good but 2 fits your description better).
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
OK great thank you. I'll listen to your suggestions and report back.

P.S. I chose HAL9000 purely because it happens to be my name on other forums.
HAL9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 454
Default

First of all, I need to ask you, when you hear music, can you identify some sort of mood that it conveys? I'm not asking if you can feel that mood. I can see you can't, but do you know what mood its trying to convey? Feeling the message of the music can only come after knowing the message of the music, which can both change throughout a song, be conveyed by rapidly changing moods in the song (the stuff that comes to my mind for this one isn't for a noobie, but still) or slowly be painted by a song.

Second of all, you said music can add to a movie, but why can it? Can it paint an image in your mind that's strikingly close to what you see on screen? I definitely see pictures in my mind when I listen to music.

Third
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9000 View Post

I listen to whatever's in the charts

HAL
which could be your problem. Charts literally make music for people like you execpt in denial who think they both like music AND can dance. They have their place, it isn't helping a guy discover music.

I don't really know where to go from here execpt post a bunch of music I think is awesome that hopefully you might too. Other MB'ers will laugh at me because my knowledge of music is minimal compared to theirs, but nonetheless, here I am visiting the top part of this post after the rest of it done wondering if I'm insane for taking the time to compile all this (basically my entire taste) for someone who probably won't care at all. Oh well, as much as I'm twitching my eye angry at myself that I was... in a way, cocky enough to do this, thinking my taste was so awesome, I just did it, so I'm gonna post it. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something anyways, and if nothing else, I have a nice little Bullet compilation now... Here goes...


Rock/Metal
Metallica- Fade to Black

Guns 'N Roses- November Rain

Jimi Hendrix-Voodoo Chile

Bang Camaro- Push Push Lady Lightning

Dream Theater- 6:00

Muse- Exogenesis, Pt.1

Blind Faith- Can't Find My Way Home

Ozzy Osbourne- Bark At The Moon

Buckethead- Soothsayer

Sixx A.M.- Life is Beautiful

Radiohead- 15 Step

The Police- Synchronicity (Live) (Two parts)


Nirvana- Something in the Way

Queen- Somebody To Love

AC/DC- Ride On

Crush 40- Song of Hope

Messhuggah- ObZen

Led Zepplin- Achillies Last Stand

The Beatles- I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Jazz
Miles Davis- Blue in Green

Bill Frisell- Disfarmer Theme


ElectronicN
Note: These songs really depend on sub-bass, and I'm not entirely sure earbuds support frequencies low enough to play these fairly. Ipod earbuds and laptop speakers def won't. At the very least, the Skream would be as butchered as a violin concierto without the violin. If your speakers can FAIRLY play the bass in thing, as in, you can clearly hear the notes sustain, you're fine.

If not, I understand that you won't go out and buy even a cheap pair of headphones because its worthless to you (though hopefully by the end of this post it will be worth something,) so, I don't know, skip this section until you can borrow them from a friend or something? You could probably play these in your car or something.


Excision and Savvy- Sleepless

Skrillex- With You, Friends

Skream- Dutch Flowerz

Deadmau5- Unspecial Effects


Hip-hop
2pac- Brenda's Got A Baby

Spose- God Damn

Nas and Damian Marley- Patience

Eminem- Lose Yourself

Beastie Boys- Lee Majors Come Again



Classical
Holst- Neptune

Elgar- Nimrod

And also, Mendolsohn. I'd post his piano concierto, but it'd be too long for something like this.

Blues (This I'm really not an expert on, but I have a couple guys I like)
Leadbelly- Salty Dog

Robert Johnson- Crossroad Blues


And because this doesn't really fit anywhere, this wouldn't be complete without MJ.
Michael Jackson- Stranger in Moscow

Last edited by The Bullet; 04-29-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: God Damn was posted twice, and once where Voodoo Chile should've been
The Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.