Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
What speaks to you does not necessarily speak to others.

Trust me, that message NEVER gets across. Ever.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
I don't meant to undermine what the point your making here, but what you just posted sounds like what Kyle says during the episode Christian Rock Hard from South Park.
That is funny in the sense I've never really watched South Park, other than with my two boys from time to time. One of them might be familiar with the particular episode you're talking about

My guess would be yes my accent thrown you off.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #43 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
In 2014. But in the 60's that song was the beginning of a massive youth counter-culture, one that the WWII generation simply did not understand. There was no questioning (or at least precious little) of authority prior to that. The question here was whether or not music can affect positive real life change, I would argue that TTTAAC did exactly that. Ask Lyndon Johnson.
Was it actually that culturally influential though? Would the whole counter culture movement have not started because of one song? Seems kind of absurd. Plenty of music can be a soundtrack to an event, but I have a hard time believing that a song is going to be responsible for something like that.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #44 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
What speaks to you does not necessarily speak to others.
That is true... but that does not mean I can't have an opinion on the state of pop music either.

Most of the mainstream music lacks depth and substance

The way most of these pop songs are constructed are just not that good in my opinion.

I am not saying every single song lol but for the majority it is not.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #45 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I personally consider a lot of the professional bands themselves, to be the "Pussified".

"Sellouts' to the music industry.

Espeacially those that are in the buissness of recording and performing for the money only, instead of being true to themselves, their music, and their fans.

As far as music of rebellion, political and social reform that is not currently popular with the modern music of today.
Well I just don't think its as popular today as it was (as most of us already know) like it was during the mid 60's into the early 70s, with the ongoing Vietnam War and the civil rights movement both going on during that time in music history.

AGREE

I think that is my main issue with alot of these pop artists out now.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:11 AM   #46 (permalink)
Dragon
 
Wpnfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Kansas, United States
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
That is true... but that does not mean I can't have an opinion on the state of pop music either.

Most of the mainstream music lacks depth and substance

The way most of these pop songs are constructed are just not that good in my opinion.

I am not saying every single song lol but for the majority it is not.
Look Realtalk, it doesn't matter if you say "some songs" or "most songs" of today lack depth and substance–that's still the fallacy of composition and that's just not good reasoning.

You can not say that a few songs (you have yet to mention even a single song as of yet) speak for the majority of today's music.

Unless you, or anybody else that thinks today's music is "lacking depth and substance," can name 100 (random) songs from today and 100 (random) songs (100 is a statistically significant number) from 20 years ago or however long ago, that are comparatively better than the songs of today, you are just plain being ignorant of tons of music.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you're just engaging in an illogical argument that will continue to be illogical because the argument is subjective.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:53 AM   #47 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
Look Realtalk, it doesn't matter if you say "some songs" or "most songs" of today lack depth and substance–that's still the fallacy of composition and that's just not good reasoning.

You can not say that a few songs (you have yet to mention even a single song as of yet) speak for the majority of today's music.

Unless you, or anybody else that thinks today's music is "lacking depth and substance," can name 100 (random) songs from today and 100 (random) songs (100 is a statistically significant number) from 20 years ago or however long ago, that are comparatively better than the songs of today, you are just plain being ignorant of tons of music.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you're just engaging in an illogical argument that will continue to be illogical because the argument is subjective.
you're barking up the wrong tree dude. Realtalk and logic are mortal enemies.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpnfire View Post
Look Realtalk, it doesn't matter if you say "some songs" or "most songs" of today lack depth and substance–that's still the fallacy of composition and that's just not good reasoning.

You can not say that a few songs (you have yet to mention even a single song as of yet) speak for the majority of today's music.

Unless you, or anybody else that thinks today's music is "lacking depth and substance," can name 100 (random) songs from today and 100 (random) songs (100 is a statistically significant number) from 20 years ago or however long ago, that are comparatively better than the songs of today, you are just plain being ignorant of tons of music.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but you're just engaging in an illogical argument that will continue to be illogical because the argument is subjective.
I don't have a problem in backing my opinion but can you please quote me where I said this was a fact?

This entire time I have expressed this is my opinion which I am entitled to have.

So why are you giving me a speech about my opinion being subjective when I never said that my opinion was fact?

If you disagree with it, that's fine... but don't say my argument is illogical just because you disagree with it. It comes off snobbish

Last edited by Soulflower; 03-28-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
silky smooth
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,674
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
I don't have a problem in backing my opinion but can you please quote me where I said this was a fact?

This entire time I have expressed this is my opinion which I am entitled to have.

So why are you giving me a speech about my opinion being subjective when I never said that my opinion was fact?

If you disagree with it, that's fine... but don't say my argument is illogical just because you disagree with it. It comes off snobbish
oh god the irony is painful
__________________
http://cloudcover1.bandcamp.com/
http://daydreamsociety.bandcamp.com/

Think about how life sucks -> Vent about it on MusicBanter -> Make no progress towards improving life because limited free time is wasted on MusicBanter -> Think about how life sucks
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #50 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
oh god the irony is painful
It is... because you are oddly always disrespectful, rude and obnoxious towards me for no reason and I have not a clue why.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.