Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

I came to really know this group here in MB actually, a few members here recommended me some songs from them but i didn't like them all but some i loved like 'And she was' and 'Nothing but flowers' which has the best video ever!

Im hoping to find more good songs from them so if anybody can recommend me some, that would be great. (personal favorites if you can)
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
I came to really know this group here in MB actually, a few members here recommended me some songs from them but i didn't like them all but some i loved like 'And she was' and 'Nothing but flowers' which has the best video ever!

Im hoping to find more good songs from them so if anybody can recommend me some, that would be great. (personal favorites if you can)
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
David Hasselhoff
 
Paul Smeenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in Portland, OR
Posts: 3,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
In 1805. That's what makes it an especially impressive achievement!

I heard about this, 'cept when I heard it the guy was missing a foot.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Basically you're David Hasselhoff.
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I heard that one, and now i remember it was actually you and Fred that recommended the Talking heads to me.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

I don't think you can make that statement and expect it to be taken as fact. It's all subjective as anyone knows. You might think they were the greatest --- so might others --- but it doesn't make it the case. I'm sure they were innovative and different and very successful and influential, but I can think of a bunch of other bands I would put before them, both in terms of longevity and overall popularity.
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Smeenus View Post
I heard about this, 'cept when I heard it the guy was missing a foot.
Well, sure. He had to leave it at CBGB to get the time machine to work.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #17 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 4,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I don't think you can make that statement and expect it to be taken as fact. It's all subjective as anyone knows. You might think they were the greatest --- so might others --- but it doesn't make it the case. I'm sure they were innovative and different and very successful and influential, but I can think of a bunch of other bands I would put before them, both in terms of longevity and overall popularity.
The guy was clearly using a bit of hyperbole to create discussion, I highly doubt he thinks it's an indisputable fact. I do however think The Talking Heads in their heyday (which was a great time of musical invention in general) were one of the most important bands in the world - with their female bass player, their kind of nerdy and intelligent image,songs about the mundane and everyday, and Brian Eno's production. Talking Heads changed ideas of what a popular rock band could be. Plus they're clearly having fun at the same time.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Black Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 21
Default

I've not checked this band out before. I know what I'm doing tonight!
Black Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
The guy was clearly using a bit of hyperbole to create discussion, I highly doubt he thinks it's an indisputable fact. I do however think The Talking Heads in their heyday (which was a great time of musical invention in general) were one of the most important bands in the world - with their female bass player, their kind of nerdy and intelligent image,songs about the mundane and everyday, and Brian Eno's production. Talking Heads changed ideas of what a popular rock band could be. Plus they're clearly having fun at the same time.
No one can dispute the fact that they created a fresh sound which had been missing from popular music. I always got a sense it wasn't as fun as it seemed though, something tells me Byrne is a perfectionist and that may have lead to the inevitable breakup. Tina Weymouth is one of my alltime favorite bass players, she always plays very tasteful licks and holds the bottom down. I agree their production was grade A and Byrnes vocals always hit me hard the way only a few can, such as Gabriel and Ferry.
__________________
" I slashed and burned thru my 15 minutes of fame."
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
I came to really know this group here in MB actually, a few members here recommended me some songs from them but i didn't like them all but some i loved like 'And she was' and 'Nothing but flowers' which has the best video ever!

Im hoping to find more good songs from them so if anybody can recommend me some, that would be great. (personal favorites if you can)
Listen to the album "Remain In Light" and "Stop Making Sense", the latter is live and both are fantastic.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.